How To Dress Beau's Cut?

Guest larkabee

Guest larkabee

Beau cut his front foot just above his paw pad tonight when we went out (I have no idea how!), and it's bled a fair amount. I cleaned it with soap and water, and was hoping to find some advice on how to dress it for the night. I was thinking gauze, but didn't know if Beau would find a way to pull it all off during the night, or if that would make it worse if he spent a lot of time licking the gauze. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

If you do not think it will bleed everywhere thru the night I would just leave it open to air :) you can put a muzzle on him (with a stool guard or duck tape over the very front) to keep him from licking it. If you think it will bleed I would still muzzle him and wrap it with gauze (just make sure it is not too tight)

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

Guest bluefawn

How is Beau's foot today? Hopefully it is starting to heal nicely. If he messes with the gauze, I would try a gauze square and then use vet wrap. It's a lot harder to chew off. :)

You can also put a baby sock on top of any bandaging to help keep him away from it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Energy11

Ouch! Hope this helps! It is from our first aid seminar, from Mt. Hounds.

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury

For injuries to the pads, or nearby, I clean well, apply EMT gel, a Telfa or other non-stick pad, and wrap with vet wrap. We always have vet wrap on hand.

Usually, vet wrap does not need to be taped, but if it does, I like paper tape - you can apply that to the dog's leg, and it peels off easily, even off the hair.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.