Shedding

Guest missecho

Guest missecho

Before I had Molly I was the proud owner of 3 Shelties--great dogs, but with serious shedding issues. About twice a year, they would "blow coat"--which with Shelties is serious business. I would have dog hair circulating in the house--it even piled up on the ceiling fan!

Now Molly, my Grey, is shedding much more than normal. Is this the greyhound version of the coat blow?

Guest kydie

Boy I'm not the woman with answers to that, but I can tell you here in Pa, where spring is coming, all 4 of mine started the shedding about 2 weeks ago, my motto is "No outfit is complete witout dog hair", when I wear black pants, I put them on out on the back deck :lol

Guest K9Cookies

Gracey started shedding so bad a couple of weeks ago, it scared me! :lol We're going through the shedding season with her right now, but nothing much from the other two. Watch, it will come in stages and we'll have the shedding season for the next 3 months at out house! :blink:

Guest BostonDan

I am glad this was posted. We are new adopters (this past december) and about 2 and half weeks ago our Bella started to "Coat Blow" (that is is a riot, but very good way to term it). It actually scared me as well, So I brought her into the vet to learn is was normal with spring coming on. Thought she was going to have a bald fanny. I have been wearing a lot of black pants these days (she is black, so it blends in) haha.

Edited by BostonDan

Guest mcsheltie

It is coming out in handfuls here. Just that time of year, the days are getting longer.

It is coming out in handfuls here. Just that time of year, the days are getting longer.

Guest MyBoys

All 3 of my boys are shedding tons :eek I have been trying to give them a brushing daily and stocked up on lint rollers, I have them stationed all over the house. It's just that time of the year.

Guest tricolorhounds

We don't really have a shedding "season" here... mine shed year round. The red dogs don't shed a whole lot but Savannah is another story. Her white coat is so thick you can't even see down to her skin. I was getting ready to take her to a show & tell the other day so I took her outside with the furminator... It looked like a white fur cloud flying around our house. I didn't have time to clean it up right away and by the time I got home I saw a crow flying off with a giant white puff ball in his beak. I think he cleaned up the whole mess colgate.gif

Guest happygrey

We don't really have a shedding "season" here... mine shed year round. The red dogs don't shed a whole lot but Savannah is another story. Her white coat is so thick you can't even see down to her skin. I was getting ready to take her to a show & tell the other day so I took her outside with the furminator... It looked like a white fur cloud flying around our house. I didn't have time to clean it up right away and by the time I got home I saw a crow flying off with a giant white puff ball in his beak. I think he cleaned up the whole mess colgate.gif

Yep, lots of birdies love the dog hair! I always leave it out for them to take to line their nests.

Mine haven't started yet but I'm dreading it. They've all got thick coats from this winter.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our Grey is starting to shed also. I dry mop the floors and see hair by the next day.

Had to chuckle at the Sheltie shedding reference. I had a number of Shelties for years and, yes, they shed twice a year. To tell you the truth, I'd rather deal with dust bunnies as opposed to the short hairs on the Greys that get stuck in everything. LOL

Milky Way has a thick soft white coat and he sheds ALL the time and by the truckload. I've fostered and never had a dog shed like my own. I think it depends on the type of hair your grey has. I also have a suspicion that certain colors shed more than others but maybe thats just me.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Being that I have indoor dogs in Florida, they do not grow a winter coat. There are about two weeks twice a year where I get hair out of them with the zoom groom curry brush thing, but there's never hair blowing around the house or anything.