Scared Of The Car

Guest triciagreys

Guest triciagreys

I am new to Greytalk. I have two greyhounds, female age 5, Callie and a male age 5, Tobias. Tobias has decided he doesn't like the minivan anymore. He used to love to go for rides which usually ended up at the local park. During a long trip, he became scared of something. I don't know what happened. He began to shake and was anxious. Callie was fine. Ever since then he would hesitate before getting in the van. Now he won't get in the van. I tried treats. Callie jumps in the van and is ready to go. I left him at home a couple of times and I have taken her to the park. Their annual vet visit is coming up and I am worried about getting him in the van. He is larger than the normal greyhound at 88 lbs. Does anyone have advice? I want him to return to loving riding in the van. Tricia

If you can recruit a friend to help, or if you have a secure garage, might try opening doors on both sides and seeing if you can call him *through* the van several times. Then perhaps sit in the van with him, comfy bed, peanutbutter stuffed Kong and paperback, and just hang out and read for awhile.

If he absolutely won't get in on his own, I'd put his muzzle on for safety, give the "in you go" command, and put him in -- at 88 lbs, that's probably a front end, then back end process -- "Good boy!", treat while IN the van, and let him hop right back out again. Repeat 3-4 times maybe twice a day until he'll get in on his own. Next, instead of letting him hop right back out after his treat, get in with him, close the door, and hang out for a minute or two doing "Good boy!" and treat. Next, if you can recruit a friend, drive slowly around block while one of you is in back with him feeding treats. Etc. Hot dog slivers or fake bacon strips are easy to poke thru a basket muzzle for treats.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jenznaz

I third Batmom's great idea. Food makes everything better! Until my 90lb boy learns to jump up in the car, I also have to put his front feet in- lift the rest up. At least I'm getting a workout!

Guest Heehoo

I had a foster who was afraid...once I got her in my car she was fine & didn't want to get out. I agree with Jey/Batmom...if you can open the doors, inside the garage...make some visits, adventures into the garage with them. I let mine go in the garage with me sometimes to get groceries & such & although I don't open the car door, I encourage them to sniff around the garage. They love it. 

Treats are great for helping to overcome a fear. Even try going out there & reading a magazine with them some time. 

I'm thinking too that something happened, and it could be something little like a sound, or the vibration, passing another car that made a noise. Do you play music while driving with them? I play classical music, or no music at all, even though at the adoption kennel & racing kennels they usually have the radio on with something going. But don't play it real loud. 

Keep us posted