Fare Thee Well, Lucky

RhodyGreys

He came to me in December, three days after Ringo died: a big, handsome lunk of a brindle boy who had been the kennel pet at a kennel at the Twin River track. Being a kennel pet meant that they loved him so much in his racing kennel, that when he was done, they kept him around. He was a blockhead, constantly nudging your hand upward for more petting, following you with solemn eyes, scared of his own shadow. I didn't want to call him Lucky. After all, I had already owned a greyhound named Lucky: Lucky Omen, my first osteosarcoma boy, who taught me so much. I tried calling him Josh. It suited him, but he never listened. All you had to do was say "Lucky" and he was at your side in a flash.

It took him more than a month to acclimate to the house and our pack. I wasn't sure he was happy here. I thought he might like a quieter place, fewer hounds and more one-on-one time with his person. But he was happy enough, bounding around with his nose in the snow, looking up at me, soulfully, for treats, sleeping next to my bed every night.

Nine days ago, he simply stopped eating. Two vets and a week later, he had dropped 12 pounds, was panting all the time when standing, had dark, mucousy stools, and looked... vacant. I knew it was time. He ate chicken and egg noodles last night, but that was his last meal. He threw up this morning, all bile. It was his liver, in failure, probably caused by cancer. I had scheduled an ultrasound for this morning, but I already knew what it would tell me. Lucky's time had come: this morning he crossed to the Rainbow Bridge.

From the time the needle went into his vein until the moment his heart stopped, it was less than half a minute. Quiet. Easy. Just like Lucky.

Sleep easy, sweet boy.

Edited by RhodyGreys

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EaglesMom

I am so very sorry for your loss and the short amount of time you had with Lucky. May you have peace in your heart knowing you gave him a great home.

This is so sad, my heart is breaking for you. How selfless of you to do the kindest thing for your Lucky. You will miss him terribly, but his memories will keep him close to you. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so sorry for your loss. Lucky sounds like a wonderful pup. He is a special Angel now.

My thoughts are with you.

Oh I am so sorry you didn't have more time with him....

:bighug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Meredith, I am so sorry for the loss of Lucky. Take comfort in knowing that your sweet boy is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry he couldn't stay awhile longer.

Godspeed, Lucky.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Lucky had, in the end, what he deserved - a home & a family of his own. You made him lucky & I hope his gratefulness will ease your pain somewhat. Godspeed Lucky! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry for your loss. He was blessed to spend his final days with you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:f_red I am sorry he had to leave, I bet there was a special job waiting for him.

God speed to you Lucky, knowing how much you are loved and will be missed

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I wish he'd had much more time with you.

Godspeed Lucky.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Not near enough time....but enough time to know he was in a home that loved him very much. I'm so sorry. Some things just don't make sense.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)