Healing Time On Paw Pad?

Guest Chefcnam

Guest Chefcnam

How long does it usually take for a cut/puncture on a paw pad to heal?

Last week, Willy started limping when she walked on pavement, but walked fine on grass/carpet. I noticed on one of her front paws, she had a very small puncture on one of the pads, but it never bled. I couldn't see if there was anything in there like glass or a splinter, so I just rubbed it with an antiseptic wipe and have been putting bag balm on it everyday. It has been 6 days now and she still limps on pavement and sometimes she holds up her paw. Should I take her to a vet or give it a few more days?

Guest Energy11

Do you see any inflammation or pus coming from the paw? Is it swollen?

If the above is there, I'd surely take her into the vet. Could be an infection going on, and with puncture wounds, sometimes, they are so deep, that topical treatments don't work.

Good Luck!

Guest Chefcnam

Do you see any inflammation or pus coming from the paw? Is it swollen?

If the above is there, I'd surely take her into the vet. Could be an infection going on, and with puncture wounds, sometimes, they are so deep, that topical treatments don't work.

Good Luck!

No, there is no inflammation or pus coming from the paw. In fact, when I press on the pad with the little crack/puncture, she doesn't even pull her paw away.

Guest Energy11

Hummm... that is weird! Could just be tender for her, with the crack and all.

It is always good to see the vet, just to be on the safe side, but, you probably could give it a day or two more. You can also try putting a toddler sock on the foot, and a bootie, if you have them. If not, two toddler socks, fastened with tape (*not too tightly) and see if that helps.

Hoping the foot heals soon!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Actually sounds like a corn, not a puncture. They can sometimes look similar. Is there any way you could post a picture of the "wound"?

Chad

Guest Chefcnam

Actually sounds like a corn, not a puncture. They can sometimes look similar. Is there any way you could post a picture of the "wound"?

Chad

Here is a picture:

Willy-pawhurt.jpg

Here is a closer-up picture:

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/chefcnam/Willy/Willy-pawhurt.jpg?t=1268174254

I've only had Willy for 9 days now, and the first 3 days we would go for at least 2-45 minute walks each day on the pavement and she had no limp whatsoever. Willy is 7 years old and was returned by her previous owner because he lost his job and couldn't care for her anymore.

Edited by Chefcnam

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

That doesnt look like a corn to me. What about epson salt two times a day? That may help. I would personally have a vet take a quick look if he does not want to put weight on the pad. Maybe someone else here will see this and have experience with something looking similar.

Chad

Guest Energy11

Really hard to say. Could be a corn, could be an infection due to that "puncture" on the pad. I'd go ahead and put some anti-bacterial ointment on the pad, and cover with one or two toddler socks, and keep him on soft terrain. If that doesn't help, then, yes, the vet.

Good Luck!

looks like the beginning of a corn to me. but when in doubt i soak the foot 3xs (if possible) in either epsom's salts or organic gray french sea salt. both have wonderful healing properties and if there is something that needs to be drawn out, they will help. i just let it dry up and harden up.

if it turn out to be a corn, welcome the the world of owning a greyhound!!!! my late gal emily had a corn in a similar spot which could not be hulled since she always walked off the edge of the corn.

oh, i have been told by my vet to avoid bag balm. he finds it does not have any real healing properties. i know from using tons of it on my cracked fingers it did nothing.

Guest Chefcnam

I've never used epsom salt before so I will be needing advice. What ratio do I mix the epsom salt with water? How long do I soak her foot? Do I rinse with regular water after soaking? Thanks for all of y'alls replies, GT has been extremely helpful for me so far with my first dog/grey. :colgate

Guest trevdog

Mix with warm water but not too hot, and soak for as long as she will let you. Mine aren't too keen about foot soaking. Sometimes it helps to give treats while soaking. I usually just dry well with a towel.

It does look like a puncture or cut to me. Greys are notorious for having tender feet and take awhile to heal.

Guest Chefcnam

Mix with warm water but not too hot, and soak for as long as she will let you. Mine aren't too keen about foot soaking. Sometimes it helps to give treats while soaking. I usually just dry well with a towel.

It does look like a puncture or cut to me. Greys are notorious for having tender feet and take awhile to heal.

I think I overdid it with the walks on the first 4 days I had her. She was at the adoption place for 4 months, where they just let the dogs run around outside on dirt/grass instead of walking on pavement. Also, I have no clue if the previous owner ever walked her on pavement.

I've never used epsom salt before so I will be needing advice. What ratio do I mix the epsom salt with water? How long do I soak her foot? Do I rinse with regular water after soaking? Thanks for all of y'alls replies, GT has been extremely helpful for me so far with my first dog/grey. :colgate

I can't tell you the exact ratio, but as much as will disolve in hot water that is not too hot for you to comfortably hold your hand in. You soak her foot as long as she'll let you (I doubt you'll get in 20 minutes, but that's ideal.) I find it easiest to put the mixture in a plastic cup and stick the foot in there. If she absolutely won't tolerate soaking, soak a towel in the mixture and wrap her foot in it. I've never rinsed afterward.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest BorzoiMom

For foot soaking you can even get a fluids bag from your vet (an empty one) and some gauze to tie to the leg (without cutting off circulation) to soak the foot. We did this with horses that had abcesses in their feet, they could kick it all over the place and still get their foot soaked. Just make sure the dog stays upright, lol.

Twice is good, but do what you can.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest dmona

Bag Balm seems to heal a multitude of things. You can get it in most grocery or drug stores. It's in a green tin.

Is udder cream the same thing as bag balm?

To soak Kelsey's foot, I use a very small hot water/ice bag....the kind that has the pleats. It is pliable and is big enough that the water doesn't overflow. I do have to sit and hold it with her foot in it.

Udder cream (which I love for me) isn't quite as heavy duty as bag balm. I have used neutrogena Norwegian formula with good sucess--it's very concentrated.

Guest Chefcnam

Luckily, Willy is allowing me to soak her foot for at least 20 minutes. I've been putting the epsom salt water solution in a big ziploc bag and sticking her paw in that. I think her paw is starting to heal because, she is limping a little less while walking on pavement.

What would be the best way to help her feet toughen up to walking on pavement? Walking less than 15 minute intervals on pavement?

Sounds like you are doing good! I would wait for longer walks until she stops limping at all. That could be a week or two yet. If you can find the padded toddler socks, they might help her be more comfy on any necessary walks; I secure around ankle with vetwrap (the rubbery stuff that sticks only to itself). You'll wear out some socks that way, but they're usually cheap at Target, Walmart, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Brindled_Greys

I haven't heard of udder cream, but bag balm must be along the same line. It's used for milk cows to keep them from chaffing. I use it on the dogs foot pads when they start to get dry, and when they have injuries. It sure speeds up healing! It's great for your hands too! :colgate

Guest dmona

I haven't heard of udder cream, but bag balm must be along the same line. It's used for milk cows to keep them from chaffing. I use it on the dogs foot pads when they start to get dry, and when they have injuries. It sure speeds up healing! It's great for your hands too! :colgate

Yes, it must be the same....the directions talk about the cracking on cow's bags. I'm going to try it on my feet.