Puppy House Training Basics

A friend of mine has a German Shorthair Pointer puppy, who is about 6 months old. She is having a terrible time house training her. Jen, my friend, is a fairly seasoned dog owner, but Loki is really challenging her.

Anyone willing to give us some tips? Thanks!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Hmm, Nessa is English Pointer and was the first time I adopted a puppy so it was my first time with house breaking a dog that wasn't already crate trained. A six month puppy should be able to hold it for at least 6 or 7 hours.

Is the puppy also being crate trained? That really helps because the pup learns to hold the pee so as not to soil the sleeping area. Also, the pup can never be out of sight, not for a second. Easier said than done if you are accustomed to adult dogs that will nap while you do something else but really important. As soon as you think the pup needs to go out; take her outside and stay out until she is empty. Nessa liked to pee 3 times on each outing. Odd I know, but I couldn't assume she was empty after the first pee.

Actually I found that house training was easier than I had anticipated. Maybe I got lucky.

She is not crating, but only because she's a stay at home mom, so is always with the dog. Her other GSP is 2, and she got her as a puppy also.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

She is not crating, but only because she's a stay at home mom, so is always with the dog. Her other GSP is 2, and she got her as a puppy also.

I have to recommend the crate even if the dog won't be crated as an adult it will help with the house breaking. Puppy goes in the crate, even if for an hour. As soon as puppy comes out of the crate she goes outside. After she pees she can have free time in the house. Extend the crate time gradually until puppy learns to hold it until she is taken outside.

Sammie the Mutt was an adult when I adopted her and had been house broken but was at the shelter for so long she needed a refresher course . I had never crated a dog before but used the crate for a few months to retrain her. Once she was trust worthy on the house breaking issue she was never crated again.

Now, Sammie likes to sleep in the puppy's crate at night with the door open.