Quicked Tiny's Nail

I was clipping toenails today and was on Tiny's very last nail when he decided he'd had enough and jerked his leg right as I was closing the blade. I quicked him. It bled a lot. I applied a styptic pad until the nail stopped bleeding, then we went back in the house. A cookie made him forget all about it.

A couple of hours later I went grocery shopping, and when I came home there were little blood spots and smears all over the house. Apparently the nail started bleeding again.

So 1) How do I keep the nail from bleeding again? Does Tiny need to go to the vet?

and 2) How do I get blood stains (hundreds of them!) out of light beige carpet?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

You don't need the vet, even if it keeps bleeding off and on. Use the styptic pad if it starts again. When it stops, put some super glue on it.

Styptic powder works better than the pads.

As for the blood stains

small bottle of peroxide

2 tsp baking soda

3 drops Dawn

large peroxide

2 tbs baking soda

6 drops Dawn

I know how you feel, I've got happy tail going on here tonight. My kitchen looks like an axe murder was at work!

OK, heading back out to the grocery store for peroxide, Super Glue, Dawn and baking soda. Thanks!

Happy tail! :eek It's bad enough having little blood splotches all over the carpet. Having them on the walls and ceiling... well the thought of that just makes me shudder. Good luck!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

When I quicked poor Chelsa so bad that one time, I ended up doing the super glue routine because styptic, cornstarch, and everything else I tried would not hold the bleeding for long. I ended up daubing a bit of cornstarch on the nail tip and then applying superglue to that, which made a hard protective structure. If you have acrylic nail stuff, you could use that. I had to keep her in a baby sock and a Pawz bootie for a couple of days.

I'd pick up nature's miracle at the pet store anyway--it's great for any organic stain (blood, throwup...) and diet coke (don't ask how I know.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest mcsheltie

Trust me :devil I breed cats and have used EVERY product out there. Natures Miracle doesn't even come close to the peroxide mixture and is expensive to boot. The peroxide mixture costs $2 and completely deodorizes and there will be no stains left.

Lilly had diahreah on our bedroom carpet. We were out of peroxide. DH used Natures Miracle (after I gave him he77 for wasting money) and the area still smelled like poop. I treated it with peroxide mix the next day and the stain & smell are gone.

Use it on your laundry, on dogs that have been skunked, on blood, barf, poop & urine. They will be gone!

I'd pick up nature's miracle at the pet store anyway--it's great for any organic stain (blood, throwup...) and diet coke (don't ask how I know.)

Nature's Miracle is what I use too, it's great stuff

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'll have to try the peroxide--I always heard it bleached colors? I guess not.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest EmilyandSioux

When I was in the clinic we used oatmeal of all things to stop the bleeding. Styptic powder burns sometimes. The peroxide will get the blood out just be sure to wash it out really well or it will eat the fabric. I learned that the hard way with my scrubs after a bloody suregery. I had holes in them the next day. I had let them set over night so I could be sure to get all the blood out. Well I was really "holey" the next day. It shouldn't hurt your carpet but test it behind the couch or out the way place if you are concerned.

Guest mcsheltie

I'll have to try the peroxide--I always heard it bleached colors? I guess not.

It hasn't so far. I have a couple of expensive wool carpets and have used it my laundry for a couple years. I've used it on (really) cheap carpet and light & dark colors.