Drinking - Am I Worrying About Nothing?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

After yet another vet visit last week because of itchy ears (linked to all the other problems he's had with the worms and possible food allergies, the vet thinks), Kelly's now switching from the bland chicken/rice diet he's been on to Royal Canin Sensitivity Control wet food, as he just does not seem to be able to tolerate even hypoallergenic kibble. (We saw a different vet to usual and he was concerned about nutrition as the other vet had had Kelly on chicken/rice for so long, he also wants to do another stool test to see where we are with the worms, which the other vet hadn't even mentioned, so I'm glad we went!)

Kelly wasn't drinking from his water bowl while on chicken and rice, but seemed fine - apparently there's enough water in chicken and rice for him not to need any extra. However he still isn't drinking (he has access to water at all times) and I'm guessing that although it's moist, canned food doesn't have as much water in it as chicken and rice, so should I add some, and if so, what is a good amount? Thanks! :)

Guest Energy11

Mine rarely drink, but I do add water to all my feedings, as I don't feed dry kibble.

Canned foods, and you will see this by reading the labels, have A LOT of water in them. He might just be getting enough from the food, like he did before. Once the weather starts warming up, you will probably see an increas in his drinking. I always do.

Good Luck!

I was worried about how little water Stella drinks and talked with my vet about it. He said, since she eats canned food, raw, or wet kibble with stew, she's getting plenty of water. I still worry sometimes and check her nape/gums for signs of dehydration, and she's always fine. My vet did suggest that, if a pup is fussy about drinking water, experiment to find how they like to drink -- dish, temperature, location and so on. Stella does like ice cubes, and it encourages her to drink more if I float some in her water dish.

Like Dee said, he may be getting enough water, but I would keep an eye out just to be sure he doesn't get dehydrated.

When I'm concerned about fluid intake, I just keep checking by doing the skin test every few days.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless