Ollie Has Allergies

Ollie who has been with us for almost 4 months has been having a tough time with food/allergies.

I orginally started him on Pro Plan Senstive Stomach as that is what Chloe and Teddy eat. His poops were unbelievably stinky and the poops were a huge mound. He was scratching the inside of his ears raw and his coat was dull. We treated for worms, did a course of flagyl and then did a slow transition to TOTW Pacific stream.

Gas was a little bit better, poops were about the same, the itching was less but since there was no real improvement in the whole thing we started transitioning him back to Pro plan and were going to start over.

I also rewormed him and gave another course of flagyl.

Instead, yesterday we gave him 1/4 of Wildnerness (what Elsie eats) and TOTW- This brought on almost full blown big D so we decided to forget the whole thing and just go with 5 days of rice and boiled chicken. I called the vet- we discussed it - she agreed and then said to try Natural Balance Limited Ingredients. We have a plan.

The problem is that his ears are so ripped up inside from the intense scratching- I don't know what to do for him. I feel terrible. I have an ointment called animax cream which isn't doing a whole lot. I did the rinse for his ears as well.

As far as treats goes, just to be on the safe side, I am only going to give Beau's hypoallergenic treats and chicken strips since he is eating chicken and rice. I just hope he does not have a reaction to the rice, but I guess we'll figure that out as we go along.

Any ideas of what to give him for his ears? Cordisone shot?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Joe has bad food allergies and used to rub his eyes until they bled. He had an allergy test done and took prednisone to clear up the symptoms while we waited for the test results.

He's allergic to beef, venison, tomatoe pomace, kelp, sorghum, soybean, carrots and corn. We were given a list of food, dry and canned, that meet his allergy needs. So far so good if I stick to the list.

We haven't had him that long and it's winter here now so we're keeping our fingers crossed there will be no environmental allergies when spring hits!

Anne

Has Ollie always had red itchy ears? Tested to see if that's bacterial vs fungal?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A couple of times when one of the poodles had an ear on fire due to an infection, the vet used dexamethasone (injected). That was just short-term relief until the other stuff (ear cleaning and oribiotic oil (or Surolan) started to work.

I too have had some success with allergy tests.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Has Ollie always had red itchy ears? Tested to see if that's bacterial vs fungal?

They were bad when we got him, then they got a bit better and now really bad again.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Simba's food allergy (to exactly which ingredient in Kirkland Chicken, still not sure) showed up a few weeks ago primarily as terribly red and inflamed outsides of his ears. No mites, no fungal or bacterial infection. My vet gave me a bottle of HB101, which is a combination of hydrocortisone and Barrows solution, to swab on twice daily after warm compresses with plain water. His ears have cleared up completely, though the hair hasn't really started to grow back in.

I did use OTC 5% cortisone cream on his ears until we could get in to see the vet, and that at least lessened the irritation to the point where he wasn't making them worse by scratching. My vet approved that, and that's what I'll use if it happens again and I don't have HB101 on hand (I was also given a supply to keep in our hound first aid kit).

I'm not a vet, but I'd try the cortisone cream for sweet Ollie unless there's a reason not to, and talk to your vet about treatment.

On the positive side, once I stopped the Kirkland food (and I stopped it cold and went to a combination of his previous food and limited ingredient homemade), Simba's ears stopped getting worse, and started to heal with the HB101.

I hope you find what works for Ollie!

Edited by Vers

Guest sja5032

How about some benedryl until the food has a chance to transition in his system? That's what I had to do with my non-grey, I kept him on benedryl until about 2 or 3 weeks into the LID when the transition should start to make a difference and took him off to see if he was improving. If he was still bad I would keep him on until the full month was up, and try again, otherwise he would never stop itching.

I forgot about the benadryl -- yes, my vet also advised using that. However, I learned that Simba is one of those hounds who it makes hyper when the dose wears off -- that was a little scary.

Guest wjamg

My last girl had severe allergies to almost every food..the food that finally worked was a kangaroo meat kibble from the vet..if she got even a taste of chicken or beef by accident her skin would become itchy, eyes would water and she would scratch non stop...it was horrendous until we found a food that worked.

I would get a cortisone shot for him, it was instant relief for my old girl ginger