Need Some Quick Advice

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Hey all - So, as some of you know, I'm "single-momming it" here for 3 weeks while my husband is in China getting our new 4-yr-old daughter. I have my personal 7 dogs, 12 dogs in the adoption kennel, and our 5-yr-old daughter. Yikes!

On top of that, our adoption group has a big event this weekend - the Pet Expo at the city's convention center. I am supposed to be there to staff our booth from 9-6 today.

However - our 2-yr-old boy Hank has been having bloody diarrhea since yesterday. I found a couple puddles of it when I came home from the Expo at 2pm yesterday to do kennel turnout, and asked volunteers to cover for me so I could stay home with him yesterday. He is more listless than usual (usually he is crazy) but will get up and move around. I gave him some Immodium in the late afternoon, and he didn't have another episode until overnight. I woke up to a couple more puddles (containing some grass - where did he find grass in March in Minnesota??).

So - how worried do I need to be? Can I leave him home alone today to do the Expo? Does he need to go to the emergency vet that I don't really trust (for $$$ -- of course this happens on a weekend)? Am just feeling bad about overworking my volunteers, since they are the same people who were there yesterday. But if he needs to go to the vet, I want to take him.

I have some Metronidazole, thinking maybe I should give that this morning...

Sorry so long!!

Guest greytbookert

Oh gosh, I'm the wrong person to give advice on whether or not to go to the vet because I would go, just to be safe. With that said, to me, bloody big D and listlessness is cause for concern. Oh man, I'm really no help, am I... sorry!

I hope Hank is feeling better very soon!

Up early but not an expert in GI issues. I'd give the metro for sure and also worry about dehydration.

Personally, I'd also take him to he vet and have someone else cover the booth, until you at least get some piece of mind there isn't anything significantly wrong. Big D is one thing, but with blood in there, there is at a minimum an irritation (metro will help there)

Good luck managing everything. My DW is in Hong Kong now so I know what you mean. Congrats in advance on your upcoming new arrival!!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Flint

I'd agree with greybookert, big D is one thing, but seeing blood in it would concern me and I'd go to the vet. I guess it's just us cautious worriers that are up early this morning.

I'd get to the vet ASAP. Listnessness alone would concern me, big time. Bring a sample if you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Agreed. Unfortunately a vet visit is in order due to the blood.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'd bite the $$$ bullet and get to the vet. Your volunteers will understand - they would do it for their hounds. Prayers and healthy thoughts coming for Hank.

And - prayers coming for a safe trip for your hubby and child. How wonderful - congratulations.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest SoulsMom

Expert on the bloody Big D here---Soul had to be hospitalized for HGE, and it can escalate and become quite serious rapidly. Def go to the vet.

Soul has also had relapses so thanks to RobinM I now have a supply of Metronidazole on hand, just in case. My vet said that if he relapses and I start him on it to make sure he gets the full two week course of the meds, not just a few for a couple of days.

Another vote that Hank should go to the vet (and a sample for them if possible). FWIW I wouldn't give any medication before seeing the vet, in order to avoid masking symptoms or being in conflict with the vet's chosen treatment approach.

Please keep us posted - the blood is very worrisome.

Ahhh, tough one!

1) Yes to the Flagyl!

2) Probably to the vet--although I did have an instance where my dog had diarrhea and it turned out the blood was from the amazingly huge pieces of grass he had eaten and pooped out. You know, those GIANT stalks of weedy grass??? They cut his delicate parts on the way out. The blood was from his external parts and not indicative that he was bleeding in his innards!

Is it a tiny tinge of red, or seriously bloody?

Good luck with your new daughter! My cousin is married to a fellow who has two girls from China!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Vet. If he's listless, likely needs fluids, and I'd want to keep an eye on him that he doesn't get worse.

Your volunteers will get over it.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another vote for the vet here. I've had way too much experience with bloody poop, and I know how fast things can deteriorate. The listlessness is a big concern too. I understand your concerns about the emergency vet; perhaps you can convince them to do supportive stuff (fluids and injected meds) and save the diagnostics for your regular vet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks, guys. THat's what I figured. Just wanted confirmation that I'm not over-worrying. I hate getting to the vet and discovering that I paid $300 for something I could have treated at home for free.

I'm supposed to open the booth, so I'll bring Hank to Expo with me, and then when the other volunteers arrive we will take off for the vet. I'll let y'all know what happens later on today.

I see you've already decided, but for what it's worth ...

Blood + listless= vet, ill dog + home alone = no event, no question please keep us posted on your pup

FWIW I wouldn't give any medication before seeing the vet, in order to avoid masking symptoms or being in conflict with the vet's chosen treatment approach.

Totally agree with both.

Renie had HGE twice and once she was very ill. I thought I was going to lose her. The puddles of diarrhoea became like beetroot pulp - so did the vomit after a while. I couldn't tell which was which. She recovered completely, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a dog to the vet ASAP after that experience.

Oh, and I wouldn't take Hank with me and expose other dogs, in case it's something infectious. JMHO.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Energy11

Yes on the Flagyl for SURE, and if he is listless, yes on the vet. I'd also bring a STOOL SAMPLE in with you if at all possible. Also, as I am sure you know, be sure he is getting enough to drink. I'd mix Gatorade 50/50 in with his water to prevent deyhdration.

Good luck, and YES, it seems everything happens on a weekend! :-( Keep us posted.

Also see you've already decided and also agree w/your decision. :)

when I see blood where it isn't supposed to be, I go. He'll likely come home on Flagyl, Pepcid and Carafate. maybe a bolus of SubQ fluids if he's dehydrated. It doesn't sound like full blown HGE yet and you don't want to get it that far. Sorry about the eVet fees though :(

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Good luck with the trip to the ER vet - hope it is nothing serious (or expensive)! I also wanted to say congratulations on your new DD! smile.gif

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest bigorangedog

Hey guys! Sorry I couldn't update sooner -- getting all the dogs turned out and fed, DD to bed, etc... Takes a lot longer without DH!

Anyway, Hank is doing a lot better. We actually did not end up going to the e-vet. I took him with me to Expo to open the booth, and had planned to leave soon after the other volunteers arrived. But someone ended up coming late, so we had to stay a couple hours. During that time, one of our adopters came by with her family (not to volunteer, just to see the Expo) and she has been a vet tech for years. I told her what was going on, and she looked him over and said that her feeling was that it would resolve itself. Told me to fast him for a day, then start I/D food and continue the metro. So that's what we're doing. Good luck for us that she came by!

But as the day went on, Hank perked up. Hasn't pooped since overnight last night, and is in better spirits. Still somewhat subdued for him (which means he's acting more like a normal greyhound instead of like a Lab puppy) but better.

So, I think we are cool. No one else seems to be sick here either, so that is good.

I'm glad he's feeling better.

:goodluck that he continues to improve.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mcsheltie

It may be the diarrhea bug that has been working it's way around the country. It lasts for about 48 hours and nothing you do helps. Other than fasting to cut down on the mess.