Muzzle At The Dog Park?

Guest micagreen

Guest micagreen

We're going to start bringing Skeeter to the local dog park... We've had him for a week and he's proving to be a great dog, super sweet, very well behaved. He's 2 years old and only been in 9 races, he never won, sounds like he just wanted to run with the pack.

He's met several dogs on-leash, 3 of them were <20lbs and he was very polite even with a snarley 8 pounder (he even calmed that dog down a bit once they sniffed). I know that when they're running that they can turn into entirely different animals. Question is, do you let them play with other dogs at the park without a muzzle? I'm not talking about the little ones, that's asking for trouble, but >30 lbs or so if everyone is displaying good behaviour?

Opinions?

Thanks,

-Todd and Skeet

Guest Hoolyghans

The rule is everyone is muzzled or no one is muzzled. When just one dog is muzzled, it puts them at a disadvantage and unable to defend themselves.

You will find a lot of people don't feel dog parks are appropriate. I personally do take mine to a DP. It's a large park, lots of room for the different personalities to spread out. It's off the beaten track so it hasn't been overrun by morons yet. My guys love it and we've never had a problem.

With that being said, I think you should wait a while before trying it out. A week is too short for you to know your dog and your dog to know you. He's still sorting out his new life as a pet. Even though the dog park is fun, it's still stress in it's own way.

Yes, muzzle. The other dogs should be muzzled also. Know where the nearest Vet ER is as things happen at dog parks. Also make sure he is up to date on his worm protection. Greyhounds can play rough, and remember he will probably be the largest dog there. He probably is not use to other breeds of dogs also.

For you protecting keep him muzzled. Do you know why he raced so few times? Did he have an injury or do you supect he might have had an injury. Running at the dog park is a harder surface than the dog tracks and training tracks. Have him take it easy as he is probably not in running shape. Do not let him get overheated.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest micagreen

Nope, no history of injury and he loves to romp around the back yard... What I heard was that he started his racing career as an mediocre racer and never improved so they retired him. We'll wait a bit to check out the park (actually, there's 4 we have access to) and will pick out a nice empty one for the first try. If they're all crowded, we can just do a walk in the woods.

Guest westexhound

We always take a muzzle to the dog park. And will muzzle and leash our dog when first meeting new dogs. If it appears that the dogs are going to get along we will unleash them but leave the muzzle on until we see how they are going to act when running. The only problem with this is that the muzzle leaves them defenseless (except for their speed) if trouble breaks out.

We also try to go at off hours like mid morning, week days. We never go on weekends....Just too crowded.

Edited by westexhound

Guest FreddyGirl

See thread about Lexi, the newly adopted dog from RI that went to the dog park. It will make you change your mind. It is not worth the risk.

Guest mountain4greys

I would never chance mine at a dog park. To many things go wrong. Usually owners are to busy talking to watch their dogs. :angryfire

I don't see the point of flipping a coin to see if today is the day we go to the emergency vet.

Guest jenznaz

I've taken my first grey in the past and used a muzzle (while leashed) until we got a "feel" for the other dogs. I could never relax enough to let either of us enjoy it. Having said that, though, I wouldn't take them again. I just don't think it's worth the risks involved.

Guest kahjul

How timely, we just (minutes ago) got home from the dog park with a minor eye injury. Derby never raced-I've had her since she was a pup and we've gone to the dog park once or twice a week for almost a year with no incident. Today she was out-running a border collie that wanted his ball-she was going straight and he couldn't pass her to go right and get the ball, so he bit her. They had been running together for 15 minutes or so, and all was well. The BC was owned by a teenager who couldn't have cared less. Luckily Derbys 'bite' resulted in a very minor scratch under her eye-so nothing serious at all. I leashed her up and we left immediately. I told the kid, BTW, you might want to be aware that your dog did draw blood on mine. He looked like he was completely unaware there had been an incident at all, and threw the ball again. :withstupid Pretty sure that was our last trip.

Some of us don't have big yards and pretty much have to use the dog park so our dogs can run, so I don't find the categorical "never" and alarmist tone all that helpful as global statements. It doesn't seem like much of a life if a dog never gets to play with other dogs. There's no living without some element of risk; you just have to try to be very vigilant and minimize it. Beth has had wonderful times playing with a couple of other medium to large, confident dogs.

HOWEVER, I would say: no, don't muzzle unless all are muzzled, only go at non-busy times, and I would NOT let my grey off with little dogs. You might want to wait until you know your grey a bit better, too.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest AGirlNamedMe

We take Bella. She does really well. I'd never muzzle her if she's going to be with other dogs who are not muzzled.

Our dog park has a separate area for small dogs. I would not let her off-leash with smaller dogs.

Just as we were leaving the park last time, a man was entering the big dog area with a little yappy thing. If he'd been coming in with Bella there, we would have said something and left if he didn't move over to the little doggy area.

All or no one. He will not be able to defend himself should anyone start up. And he should be not be permitted to run with a 20lb dog no matter how polite he is. Once they get going, prey drive could kick in and that 20 pound dog won't stand a chance. Not only that, but Skeet could wind up being deemed a vicious dog with a death sentence over his head. And the poor thing did nothing wrong but follow his instincts.

So, if you absoulutely have to bring him to a dog park (which I think is a terrible idea to being with!) please only do it with other large dogs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I do take my hounds to a local dog park. A very good rule is everyone muzzled, or noone muzzled. The other issue here is the fact that you and your hound have no bond yet. Your hound doesnt know you from any other human at the dog park, because of this, and this reason alone, I would say not to take your hound to the park. I would first take your hound to an obedience class and establish a relationship with your hound. The reason for this is when your hound is playing and running, you want to be able to have some chance of a sucessful recall should you need to. Right now, I guarantee you have no chance of an effective recall if your hound is even slightly excited about something. I would wait at least until the 6 month mark before taking your hound to the park. I would also play hide and seek games around the house (hide and call you hound and give treats when he comes), this will help in the long run. Slow and steady will help you have years of fun at the dog park.

Chad

Guest gecko_foot

We're going to start bringing Skeeter to the local dog park... We've had him for a week and he's proving to be a great dog, super sweet, very well behaved. He's 2 years old and only been in 9 races, he never won, sounds like he just wanted to run with the pack.

He's met several dogs on-leash, 3 of them were <20lbs and he was very polite even with a snarley 8 pounder (he even calmed that dog down a bit once they sniffed). I know that when they're running that they can turn into entirely different animals. Question is, do you let them play with other dogs at the park without a muzzle? I'm not talking about the little ones, that's asking for trouble, but >30 lbs or so if everyone is displaying good behaviour?

Opinions?

Thanks,

-Todd and Skeet

These are just my opinions, so please take what I'm saying with a big grain of salt. :)

I am personally a big fan of dog parks simply for socialization, BUT you have to be very careful about when you let your dog off leash. Even if a current "pack" of dogs is doing well, a new dog can quickly throw everything into chaos and start a fight - especially if the owner doesn't have the good sense to make sure their dog is calm before releasing him/her. I would walk your dog around on lead until (1) he/she is calm and responsive to you and (2) the other dogs are calm and playing nicely.

I agree with what has been said above: everybody is muzzled or no one is muzzled. Even if your dog is not the aggressor, he/she can get caught in the crossfire between other dogs.

Good luck!

Guest Jubilee251

I also agree that I find the "NEVER EVER" tone not very helpful either. Dog parks are not for all dogs - I understand that, there are irresponsible owners, and yes, a week is really too soon to take Skeeter.

However, IF he is good with other breeds of dogs and you know that he is not high prey-driven, then dog parks might be good for him. Do not muzzle him if no one else is muzzled - nothing is 100% and if something were to happen, he needs a way to defend himself.

Do yourself and Skeeter a favor and DO NOT go during peak times. Find a dog park where the owners are nice and responsible. I take Molly to the dog park 4 times a week, but ONLY in the early mornings - never during the day when it's crowded. There are only a handful of dogs and their owners who go that early, and I've gotten to know most of them - they keep a close eye on their dogs, grab them and make them wait if another dog is coming in, and are just very responsible dog owners. We're in the city and Molly LOVES the chance to run full-out, chase tennis balls, and interact with the other dogs. It's good exercise for her, and it's great socialization as well.

Edited by Jubilee251

I have to agree that I like dog parks for socialization for most dogs however I no longer go with my Greys, why? Because I am too nervous and do not enjoy it like I used to with my Dally. I have visited once with my Greys and things went very well but it was also quiet with only a half dozen pups in two acre park. I left when I saw more dogs being brought in and I also noticed some smaller dogs coming into the big dog area, not for me and I did not want to chance anything.

I would suggest like others that you get to know your pup some more prior to going. I know you would like to get your pup some exercise and see him run as it puts a smile on your face, you need to be sure you know your pup well and how he will socialize with a lot of other types of dogs. If you choose to go to a dog park, like Jubilee251 suggested, go early when there are few dogs (the more, the greater chance of problems), meet the other dog owners and try to get a feeling of what their mindset is, e.g. are they responsible? do they watch their pups closely? do they address problems quickly? If you are uncomfortable with any of the owners, you need keep your pup safe and do the right thing by him. Do not muzzle unless all dogs are muzzled.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Grace, Fenway and I go to the Dog Park at least twice a week. We have been for years. Fenway has needed stitches twice, once from Grace and once from a German Shepherd Dog. I do not muzzle my dogs at the dog park, unless it's a "greyhound only" event which is rare. I find that when I walk the permeter of the park (on the inside, with the pups off leash) they tend to stay with me and away from the "packs" that form near the gate. The larger the park, the better. Fenway will sprint off to do his large laps but a whistle sends him sprinting back towards me.

My advice would be to start off going at non-peak times. Do not muzzle your guy, and take him off leash immediately upon entering the park. Get to know him and his body language better before you go. You should be able to tell if he's getting worked up in some way...and if that happens simply leave.

I think dog parks are great if you are very aware of your own dog as well as having the ability to read the dogs of those less aware owners. In the four years of going to the dog park, two incidents are not bad IMO.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

As many others have said, it is WAY too soon to be taking him to a dog park. The dog barely knows you. There is virtually ZERO chance he'd come to you when you called him if you needed him to, and heaven forbid he get out of the park. I watched two dogs get run over by cars on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston one day when they jumped on the gate to the park and it popped open, and they did not have good recall. Horrifying.

I wouldn't ever take George to a regular dog park. I've seen his skin rip open on things that wouldn't cut "normal" dog skin, and to me, it's not worth the risk. I would go to a Greyhound fun run. They know how to deal with each other from experience, but I think that in my particular case, George is clueless about other breeds. He also has NO recall, even after almost 3 years. Well, not true! If my voice could imitate the sound of the fridge opening, I'd be golden!!!

Have fun with your new boy taking long walks and working on some basic obedience. There will be plenty of time to test drive him at a park later. And don't think he "has" to run! When I finally found a fenced field to let George run in, he walked around sniffing pee mail the whole time!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck