Sobe

sobesmom

Sobe left this life yesterday. He was not quite 9 years old. We adopted him when he was 5.

Sobe was our very first greyhound. I adopted him at a time in my life when my baby was getting grown up - and I "thought" I needed another baby to fill a void. Sobe was that baby.

Sobe was a mess. I didn't know it then, but now that we've had 14 fosters through this house - I've realized that Sobe was almost an "unadoptable dog". Sleep aggression - space aggression - food aggression -fear - horrible seperation anxiety. The dog was a basket case. But - we worked through most of it - dealt with the rest of it. And the whole time - he was the sweetest, most loving dog ever. But - he was also a one-woman guy. He was MY boy. My baby.

And - the smartest,naughtiest greyhoud ever. He could open the fridge. We had to put baby-safety-latches on it. He learned to open the microwave- we quit storing bread there. He could open the oven. The pantry cupboard - he opened. And a trashcan - forget it - the trashcan hasn't been invented that he couldn't open. :blink:

And - he was my snuggle-boy ... after a year that it took him to not freak out at night, he slept in our bed every night.

And when I ruptured 2 disks in my back and laid on the floor for 5 days - he layed right beside me. Nobody could make him get up to eat, or go outside. He woudln't leave me. I had to make him go out, and eat. He just wouldn't leave me.

Sobe was the screwiest greyhound I've ever met - and the most amazing - most devoted, most loving dog I've ever had the pleasure to know.

I've been blessed to have Sobe in my life. I'm so... so sad that he's gone. I miss him SOOOOO much. But I have to smile - he was the best dog ever. And our lives were richer - because we had each other.

"Don't cry because it's over....smile because it happened"...Dr. Seus :blush (a GT'er sent me that)

An amazing dog is gone - but more importantly - and amazing dog LIVED! :colgate

I'm crying and smiling at the same time.

Rest in Peace my beloved baby-boy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge hugs. :bighug

ETA the wrong emoti popped up.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm so sorry. The 'special' ones are just that, special. What a good life he must have had with you.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest Shana

"Don't cry because it's over....smile because it happened"...Dr. Seus blush.gif (a GT'er sent me that)

An amazing dog is gone - but more importantly - and amazing dog LIVED! colgate.gif

Okay, wow tears in my eyes.

I rarely read this forum, and I have never dealt with the death of a pet personally, so I can't really say I can relate to a whole lot.

But those two lines are absolutely beautiful.

I am sorry for your loss.

He was perfect for you, and you gave him a wonderful life. You two must have had a beautiful time together.

Run Free Sobe

Guest lovemyhounds

After reading your tribute to Sobe...I am crying and smiling right with you. I am very sorry for your loss but I am very happy that you got to share your life with Sobe. You never gave up on him and for that you were truly rewarded.

Guest greybookends

I am so glad you found each other, both of your lives were enriched by the love you had for each other. Most people only read about this kind of a relationship but never are privileged to experience it first hand.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest hannahmom

Once you have known the love of a special animal, they never truly leave you.

Sobe will be with you forever.

Godspeed sweet boy :bighug

Guest BleuDog

Run with our Spirit Hounds....they will show you how to spread those Angel Wings and FLY!!!!!!

and.....watch down on Your Mom....you are now Her Very Special Bright Star!!!!!!

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry for the passing of an amazing companion. I too am smiling and crying with you. :bighug

Run with the angels sweet Sobe, you are with some of the very very best ~

Oh no! I;m so sorry for your loss. Sobe was a very, very special guy flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest greyt2love

Sounds like the most special hound was sent to the best mom he could have ! I'm so sorry for your loss. Run free, Sobe !!!

Guest redreed

One of the most amazing tributes I've ever read... How blessed you both have been. I'm so sorry that he left you so soon.

Run free Sobe, Godspeed.

Edited by redreed

What a beautiful and thoughtful tribute to Sobe. It sounds as tho he prepared you to manage whatever came along with your *14* fosters, way to go nod.gif . Thank you, Sobe. grouphug.gif (I love the refrigerator story.)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.