Glaucoma

Reddy was diagnosed with glaucoma in her right eye several months ago. It's the type that manifests itself after an infection that damages and closes the ducts. She has been treated from the initial infection up to yesterday, when at her latest checkup, the pressure is no longer being controlled by the Xylantan.

Now she faces losing her eye in the next few weeks. Since she is totally blind in that eye now, and has compensated well, I know she'll be fine but I so worry about the surgery itself. The opthamologist is going to remove the ocular contents and leave the eye there. They put a silicone prosthesis behind the eye and it looks as though the eye is still working. We opted for this procedure rather than removing the eye and stitching the lids closed.

My little sweetheart needs white light for the next few weeks.

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest KennelMom

I'll keep your girl in my prayers...

We have a totally blind greyhound who now has cataracts in one eye that are progressing rapidly. It is most likely just a matter of time before the eye needs to be removed (no point in doing cataract surgery b/c she's totally blind from PRA and the surgery won't do anything to change that). I'm curious about the prosthesis option, as that's not one we'd discussed with the vet...I think I might prefer that over just removing the eye and stitching it closed...esp since we may have the same problem in the other eye. Just the thought rips my heart out.

Please keep us posted...I'll be following closely :hope

I'm curious about the prosthesis option, as that's not one we'd discussed with the vet...I think I might prefer that over just removing the eye and stitching it closed...esp since we may have the same problem in the other eye. Just the thought rips my heart out.

Please keep us posted...I'll be following closely :hope

The prosthesis is a round silicone ball that they insert in the socket and somehow stitch it in. It prevents the "dishing" of the site and makes it look more natural, like the eye is just closed. If you need further info, e-mail me and I'll scan you what our opthamologist gave us.

Sorry about you baby as well. :(

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest KiKi_Girl

Having worked for an opthalmologist that did eviscerations for patients with blind, painful eyes, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Just know that the eye itself will not look the same, it is basically taking everything out of the eye and leaving a thin membrane over the scleral shell (ocular implant). Your girl will probably feel so much better without her blind eye, as glaucoma can be very painful.

Best of luck!

Oh dear. :( So very sorry your girlie is having to go down this road. :cry1 Sending loads of prayers and light her way.

:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Good thoughts for Renny and you. My special girl, Josey (Dalmatian), suffered from Glaucoma and it was devastating to her. We opted for laser surgery and it did save her one eye for about a year however the other was too far gone and it didn't help. We regretted our decisions afterwards and know in our hearts we were trying to do the right thing. We would go the same route you are going now knowing better.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.