High-Stepping With Front Right Leg

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Wizard is almost 10, and this morning he's been high stepping with his right front paw, lifts the leg awkwardly high, then sort of slaps it down when he walks, but is not avoiding walking, stairs, etc... I haven't seen this in any of my dogs before; it isn't a limp...what might be going on? No visible sign of injury. Vet visit? How soon?

Guest Maddison

Maddie's almost 12, she started this one day when she was 10. It then increased to falling over "drunk" to one side. She has a compressed disk in her spine which caused pain. Have you noticed an increase in panting? This is just one possibility, Maddie didn't show any signs of injury either, it just started all of a sudden. There are a number of other reasons for high stepping, other GT'ers will know. Maddie has medication she takes when the pain is increased, we can just tell when she's in pain now, we don't have to medicate every day. She'll pant more, walk slower or the worst is she will shake like a leaf.

Guest greymom

Hello,

We have a beautiful dark brindle named Claire who will be turning 8 years old in Sept.

We experienced something similar to what you are describing with the high stepping. We woke up a month ago now to Claire in our bed and unable to get up. We transported her on her bed to our local emergency vet hospital which after performing some non-evasive tests referred us to Tufts where we went immediately.

Claire was seen by two neurologists, had an x-ray and blood work. We decided against an MRI as we were not sure what our next step would be should her health continue to deteriorate. She was very unsteady as they got her up and was high-stepping in her right front and right rear limbs, unable to to know where her feet were in space, and had rhythmic jerking movement of her eyes. She continued to improve after just one night at Tufts and it was determined that she probably had paradoxical vestibular disease which can be caused by a vascular incident (stroke), tumor or hemorrhage. She is slower in her movements prior to this incident but almost totally back to normal. We feel BLESSED as she is such a sweet grey :)

Guest Energy11

Sounds like something neurological, like a stroke. Hopefully, if that is what it is, she will start feeling better soon. Sending love, hugs and prayers for Wizard.

Guest SusanP

Talked to the vet; she thinks it may be just a pinched nerve, which might go away on its own, since it's only one leg--said if it were both of them, she worry about something neurological. He is not panting or avoiding activity. She suggested we have him rest a lot today, keep an eye on it, and bring him in if it gets any worse.

Guest Maddison

Can you give him an anti-inflammatory? That helps with Stinkerbelle's pinched spine, I don't know if it would work for a pinched nerve.

Guest greymom

Wizard looks much like Claire :) Hopefully, a pinched nerve is all it is. We hope that rest is all he needs to get better. Our thoughts are with you.

Guest SusanP

Oh, Greymom, that's Wizard's uncle Dougie as my avatar. Wizard is yellow and white with very light, irregular black brindling here and there, not very sleek, loosish skin, sort of endearingly awkward looking for a greyhound. He is sweet and smart and communicative, but a little skittish. And he just had 9 teeth extracted a couple weeks ago, so I hate to think this is something new and serious. He is so precious!

Because we're watching him for possible kidney problems, I don't think an anti inflammatory is something our vet would feel comfortable with now. She said to hold off on Tramadol, too, unless we see signs of actual pain.

I'm just watching him like a hawk for now.

Fritz does the exact same thing when he needs a chiropractic adjustment. Do you have any chiros out your way yet? If not, maybe a visit to Dr. Mulch is in order. It's usually something pinched and an adjustment and rest clears it up.

Maybe ask your vet for some Robaxin (muscle relaxer). That might help if you're not able to get him to the chiro. I don't believe that would have any effect on his kidneys. Actually, I'm not sure that a Deramaxx for a couple of days would really make any sort of difference in terms of his kidneys. It's usually long-term use of anti-inflammatories that you want to be careful with. A couple of doses won't hurt him.

Tramadol, I would not use. That doesn't seem to help with things like this, only helps with actual PAIN. Sounds like Wizard isn't in pain so much as he might have a pinched nerve/muscle catch that just needs to be put back where it belongs and relaxed.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SusanP

Thanks, Kristin. I'm calling the vet again tomorrow and may bring him in. I'll ask about both the Robaxin and any local chiropractors.

Guest greymom

Oh, Greymom, that's Wizard's uncle Dougie as my avatar. Wizard is yellow and white with very light, irregular black brindling here and there, not very sleek, loosish skin, sort of endearingly awkward looking for a greyhound. He is sweet and smart and communicative, but a little skittish. And he just had 9 teeth extracted a couple weeks ago, so I hate to think this is something new and serious. He is so precious!

Because we're watching him for possible kidney problems, I don't think an anti inflammatory is something our vet would feel comfortable with now. She said to hold off on Tramadol, too, unless we see signs of actual pain.

I'm just watching him like a hawk for now.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the clarification. Wizard sounds just as beautiful and uncle Dougie! I feel badly as I read your posts and those of others and the illnesses that these greys face. I truly appreciate every day that we have Claire; you just never know what can strike them and when. I hope that Wizard's health improves. These dogs deserve as much time as possible with us....Holly

Guest SusanP

Thank you, Greymom. I'm waiting for him to wake up this morning so I can see if there is any improvement. We've had Wiz since he was 2 (he was not a great racer!), but no amount of time is ever enough. I'm hoping this is nothing that catastrophic, but of course that is what my heart most fears. We lost our sweet former broodie Simon, then 11, 3 years ago to a neurological problem that left her unable to stand up or walk at all, so this brings back some awful memories, though it is not quite the same, really. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

We had a greyhound who did thios when he was developing glomerularpnephritis. The theory was that improper functioning kidneys kept toxins in his body causing the missteps. Just another possibility.

Guest SusanP

I'll mention the kidney idea to the vet; she's been concerned about his kidneys, and we were going to retest urine and blood in a week. I'm getting panicky today. Vet appt is still a couple hours away.

Guest greymom

I'll mention the kidney idea to the vet; she's been concerned about his kidneys, and we were going to retest urine and blood in a week. I'm getting panicky today. Vet appt is still a couple hours away.

Thinking good thoughts for you and Wizard. May I ask what area of the country you are located?

Guest SusanP

Greymom, we're in Iowa. The vet thinks he has a tender spot just below his shoulders and suspects a pinched nerve. She said if anything changes to let her know, but for now suggests a trip to a chiropractor. Kristen, I'll need to talk about Dr. M. with you.

Guest greymom

Greymom, we're in Iowa. The vet thinks he has a tender spot just below his shoulders and suspects a pinched nerve. She said if anything changes to let her know, but for now suggests a trip to a chiropractor. Kristen, I'll need to talk about Dr. M. with you.

Hopefully, a chiropractor will help greatly then. We live in NH and are fortunate to have Tufts an hour south of us. Keep us posted on Wizard. I hope for healing :)