Request For Info On Solaxine

Guest Adrianne

Wow, everyone I know throws the pill in with the kibble

Interesting

The correct dose of thyroxine for all sight hounds is 0. 1 mg per 20 pounds of optimum weight given twice daily, always given at least an hour before or three hours after each meal to ensure absorption.

This is good to know as Passion is on .6 twice a day and she's only 53 lbs

So she should be only getting .3 twice a day if I read the above correctly (or if not I'm too tired :lol)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greytluv

Wow, everyone I know throws the pill in with the kibble

Interesting

I throw my pill in with the kibble too. I've never had a problem doing it :dunno

Dr. Dodds is the best

Ditto!!

Thankfully, not everyone thinks this way smile.gif .

Will you please substantiate this? You are always slamming Dr. Dodds, and you've never been to Hemopet nor have you even met Dr. Dodds mad.gif

Not sure why I would need to substantiate it. I don't care for the things Dr. Dodd's has done in the past nor the fact that she keeps greyhounds as blood donors. I have spoken to quite a few people over the years who have had associations with Dr. Dodds, including my best friend who used to volunteer for her, and they have told me their personal experiences with Dr. Dodds. I don't need first hand experiences with her to base my like/dislike for her.

At this time, none of my dogs have a low thyroid, but if they did, knowing what I know, I would ask my vet to consult with MSU.

And Kerry, you are wrong.....I have been to both of the old Irvine and Garden Grove Hemopet facilities.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

You can't set the dosage for a dog by weight alone. If you could, there'd be no point in periodic blood testing or monitoring of symptoms. The lower dose is probably the best starting point, is all.

I was curious as to what tests were performed on Larry initially, before he was put on the meds, but that's really none of my business. He seems to be doing very well at home and is certainly a handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greytluv

You can't set the dosage for a dog by weight alone. If you could, there'd be no point in periodic blood testing or monitoring of symptoms. The lower dose is probably the best starting point, is all.

I was curious as to what tests were performed on Larry initially, before he was put on the meds, but that's really none of my business. He seems to be doing very well at home and is certainly a handsome boy.

I think it's a starting point, as well. I know when I change my dose I have to have blood tests done again in 6 weeks.

Now I'm confused. Patrick takes .75mg of Soloxine with breakfast and dinner (so 1.5/day). I'm reluctant to change that, because he was slowly increased to that level until his levels came up and his symptoms went away. His yearly bloodwork always comes back normal. He's been doing fine on it for 7 years now--is there any reason to be concerned? I'm reluctant to mess with what works.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Now I'm confused. Patrick takes .75mg of Soloxine with breakfast and dinner (so 1.5/day). I'm reluctant to change that, because he was slowly increased to that level until his levels came up and his symptoms went away. His yearly bloodwork always comes back normal. He's been doing fine on it for 7 years now--is there any reason to be concerned? I'm reluctant to mess with what works.

I wouldn't change it. It's said that taking it with food can reduce the absorption. The fix for that is taking more. So since Patrick is doing so well on this dose, I wouldn't change a thing. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Like you, I sure wouldn't mess with what is working

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Not sure why I would need to substantiate it. I don't care for the things Dr. Dodd's has done in the past nor the fact that she keeps greyhounds as blood donors. I have spoken to quite a few people over the years who have had associations with Dr. Dodds, including my best friend who used to volunteer for her, and they have told me their personal experiences with Dr. Dodds. I don't need first hand experiences with her to base my like/dislike for her.

Totally do not want to stir the pot, but do you just dislike her operation or do you also dislike her research on hypothyroidism? I want a better understanding of thyroid treatment & need to separate the issues.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Energy11

When in doubt, I always get a second opinion. I'd also run all Larry's numbers past Dr. Couto and crew, and see what they say, too. Couldn't hurt.

I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Dodds, though.

When in doubt, I always get a second opinion. I'd also run all Larry's numbers past Dr. Couto and crew, and see what they say, too. Couldn't hurt.

And Dee, anyone interested enough about Jean Dodds, all you need to do is ask Dr C

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

And Dee, anyone interested enough about Jean Dodds, all you need to do is ask Dr C

I figured they knew eachother's work!

I wouldn't change it. It's said that taking it with food can reduce the absorption. The fix for that is taking more. So since Patrick is doing so well on this dose, I wouldn't change a thing. smile.gif

Thanks, with our schedules, trying to get it into him that far outside of mealtimes wouldn't happen on a regular basis, and the consistency is probably more important.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Adrianne

Thanks, with our schedules, trying to get it into him that far outside of mealtimes wouldn't happen on a regular basis, and the consistency is probably more important.

Luckily for me, Larry doesn't seem interested in eating first thing in the morning, so I have started giving him the medication as soon as I get up. Then he gets his breakfast an hour later. We repeat the process in the evening. So far, it's working.

I doubt the dosage of Soloxine has anything to do with if he takes his meds on an empty stomach or not. Carl gets his morning dose at least (if not more than) 1 hour before his meal, but because I get home late from work so often, he gets the second dose either just before he eats or 1/2 an hour. I don't know that it matters that much, his blood work was excellent when checked last. He's due for another blood test this month, actually we have an appointment on Tuesday.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014