Inducing Vomiting

Tito, furball of unknown origin, managed to gulp down a chunk of brie before we could even get it out of the grocery bag. The problem is that it was wrapped in plastic, and now I'm concerned it might cause a blockage. Last time he swallowed a wad of plastic (no food inside), it showed up again three days later. At the time, I tried to induce vomiting about four times with hydrogen peroxide, to no avail.

This time, I tried to stuff some peroxide into him, and in typical Tito fashion, the most I got out of it, two minutes later, was a tiny ".....urp....". Sarcasm is his forte. I dosed him again- nothing yet. I'm going to try salt next.

He's about 70 pounds, and he has a lot of strength. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Don't do salt. If he doesn't vomit, you'll have to take him to the vet to get his system flushed or risk permanent damage.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

P.S. If this is a largeish item, you're probably better off watching him and hoping it'll pass than trying to bring it back up. You don't want it clogging his esophagus.

That said, is your hp fresh?

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I attended a lecture on Saturday at the Matthew Ryan veterinary clinic at the U of Penn. One of the issues discussed was inducing vomiting. Her recommendation was 1 teaspoon of peroxide for 10 lbs of dog weight. You can call them, from anywhere, and ask questions. They will respond and there is no fee. 215.746.8911 The ASPCA will charge you to answer a poisoning question. Good luck.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Yeah; bought the peroxide a couple of weeks ago.

I'm trying to consider the logistics of the plastic; I'm thinking the odds of it getting caught in his intestines are more likely than it getting caught in his esophagus coming back up. Feh.

ETA: I'd try to cram more peroxide into him, but he's way too strong, and he fights me every bit of the way. And then what I get into him doesn't bring it back up anyway.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

You don't have a small squeeze bottle, do you? Like the kind honey comes in? Those things are the bomb for liquid dosing.

Guest mcsheltie

How much peroxide did you give him? I've been told 5cc/10lb body weight. It can take 15 minutes before they barf.

ETA: If it has been two hours it is too late.

Edited by mcsheltie

Squeeze bottles, syringes, rubber tubing (and Tygon and silicone and...), you name it, we got it. But the guy is just too strong.

I may have another go here with the peroxide in a few minutes if nothing comes up. It's just that it doesn't seem to work with him. I've never seen anything like it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mcsheltie

Squeeze bottles, syringes, rubber tubing (and Tygon and silicone and...), you name it, we got it. But the guy is just too strong.

I may have another go here with the peroxide in a few minutes if nothing comes up. It's just that it doesn't seem to work with him. I've never seen anything like it.

Ya, I can't imagine not puking on peroxide.

If it was regular clear plastic I bet you'll be okay even if it has to pass thru. Its been ingested more than once here and I never saw it again. DH is slow putting away groceries sometimes.

here's what i found-- it says use syrup of ipecac, which you'd get at any pharmacy.

http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogvomit.html

I know it worked on me as a kid, for SURE.

I don't think you can buy syrup of ipecac anymore--it's been taken off the market, at least in Vermont. I think people w bulimia were abusing it. I tried to replace mine in my medicine cabinet a couple of years ago and couldn't. The young pharmacy tech didn't even know what I was talking about.

AJ--if the cheese went down in one big hunk, could it be that the peroxide isn't getting to the stomach? Is the cheese or plastic working as a barrier?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

After you dose him w/the peroxide again, let him in to the living room. It's a sure thing! :P

My IG, who had never surfed table food in her life (until this story) managed to poach a Christmas cookie made from The Good Dark SemiSweet Bakers Chocolate and mulched almonds as "flour" dusted w/confectioners sugar. :blink: I'd conveniently left them on the coffee table (for her) because I could put people food on the floor and walk away without her showing any interest... :rolleyes: She got to the cookies because I was outside digging out the car after our Christmas Eve snowstorm for the trip to my Mom's. I rang Mom, told her to ring the eVet for the peroxide dose, we were on our way (same city, about 20 min trip). Dumped 2T in her as soon as we got there and locked her in the kitchen (tile floor). 20 minutes later....nothing. So I dumped another 1-2T in her and left her in the kitchen for another 20....nothing. So I decided she was on her own and turned her loose.....to immediately hurl four times in the living room :o

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

An hour after my last attempt to put hydrogen peroxide in him, he walks past me, pauses momentarily to offer up the tiniest "...urp..." and just keeps walking. I have the most sarcastic dog in the universe.

Hopefully we'll see the plastic wrapper within a day or two. If it doesn't involve surgery, I'm all for it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest karma98104

How is your pup?

I tried to induce vomiting on my boys a few weeks ago after a chocolate incident, and Lex never threw up either. I called the vet after I gave him a huge dose and started to worry. The vet said it doesn't always work, but to watch out for diarrhea (which didn't happen either) He coughed a little and wretched once or twice, but nothing came up.

The vets over here do not recommend using hydrogen peroxide for inducing vomiting. I asked for the latest recommendations recently and they told me to make a slurry of washing soda crystals (sodium carbonate) and use an empty syringe to administer it.

Actually, this has always been the advice in England, but I asked because you can no longer buy the packs of washing soda with the big chunky crystals, only the fine powdery crystals. I just hadn't thought of mixing it like that. D'uh! :lol

However. If you've already given one chemical, DO NOT give washing soda as well. Who knows what reactions could happen down there - and they could be bad. :(

That last bit isn't meant for you, Ahicks, I know you know. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh, he's fine. I felt compelled to give him a light dinner due to his cheeseburglary, and he was unhappy about that. He has yet to receive breakfast- I'm slacking- but he'll get his usual meal today.

The Lisa informs me that it was 7 days, not 3, the previous time he ate plastic; he managed to consume the wrap off of an empty chicken flat he stole out of the trash. We're pretty sure he has something very independent in his background- certainly a herding breed, but I don't know what else. He gets caught in the trash, and there's no guilt no matter the admonishment. This time, he stole a large chunk of brie right out of the grocery bag, which he's tried before without success.

I figure he must be about 2-1/2 years old, and his independence is starting to show. I was concerned last night that he may, in fact, be a wolf hybrid and that I have trouble brewing, but the experts tell me he's not part wolf, and based on his morphology I agree. He's started asserting himself in ways that make me uncertain- most recently, he's been sleeping in our bed when we're out, which is allowed by none of the dogs. Part of it is that we have to crate our current foster, so Tito- normally kenneled while we're out- has the option of getting into bed while we're gone.

He knows better; he just chooses not to listen, and this latest excursion is an extension of his independence.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Mr. Murphy will sometimes steal a cheese stick from my kids and eat it wrapper and all. <_< Usually about a week later he will throw up a nasty biley plastic wrapper.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest Adrianne

He knows better; he just chooses not to listen, and this latest excursion is an extension of his independence.

Hmmmm....he sounds just like my little Ollie. He's not part Dachshund, is he? lol.giftongue.gifblink.gif

As mentioned by Houndtime, peroxide dosage is 1 tsp per 10 lbs body weight, with one repeat if it doesn't work in 15-20 minutes. Hydrogen Peroxide should be 3% strength. See PetPlace.com on Inducing Vomiting. My vet has also suggested mustard (plain prepared mustard), but I haven't tried it.

ETA: I hope everything comes out OK in the end.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mcsheltie

Good to hear.

My friend has two wolf crosses. One is 3/4 wolf and they are great dogs. She just tries to keep them quiet in public.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

Yesterday he was all urgent at the door, which is unusual for him as he can hold it all day with no problem. Last time he did this, he knocked the door open- which he'd never done before- and threw up, so I opened the door for him, and he runs out and starts grazing almost immediately. I grab some long forceps and my sandals, and he throws up- a wad of grass. It then becomes a Barf Memorial that he and all the other dogs have to check out every time they leave the house.

This afternoon- same deal. Urgency, grazing, forceps, barfing up grass- and no plastic bag.

Everything's still going through him just fine, so I'm hoping it's not made it past the duodenum yet and it's just irritating his stomach. Last time it took 7 days, so- we're not even halfway there yet.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Yesterday he was all urgent at the door, which is unusual for him as he can hold it all day with no problem. Last time he did this, he knocked the door open- which he'd never done before- and threw up, so I opened the door for him, and he runs out and starts grazing almost immediately. I grab some long forceps and my sandals, and he throws up- a wad of grass. It then becomes a Barf Memorial that he and all the other dogs have to check out every time they leave the house.

This afternoon- same deal. Urgency, grazing, forceps, barfing up grass- and no plastic bag.

Everything's still going through him just fine, so I'm hoping it's not made it past the duodenum yet and it's just irritating his stomach. Last time it took 7 days, so- we're not even halfway there yet.

Amazing isn't it? They're such intelligent creatures and yet they never learn... :lol

i am glad he's doing well though and I hope he returns the plastic in some natural, non surgical fashion.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana