Lucky

Well, I don't post in this part of the forum often. I wish I wasn't posting now.

Three days after Ringo died in December, I took a 10 y.o. "kennel pet" from the closure at Twin River (Lincoln). Crystal B Lucky is a sweet brindle boy, very sensitive, overly correctable, and big. A sweet lunk. A blockhead. A chow hound. He'd just had his teeth scaled, but he has rotten breath. His teeth don't look too bad. Of course, I'm a little worried... I make sure to get him a heartworm check because he coughs a little for now apparent reason other than eating a biscuit, going for a walk, just getting up... and his stools are a little looser than I'd like, but no worms, and he's been wormed...and he won't put on weight - you know, the 'I'm not quite well' scrawny look?

Well, a few days ago, the hounds got into the cat food. Nothing huge, just a small bowl of dry and maybe some wet. We figure maybe they had gotten into it a few times in the past week since we have fully integrated the kitty. But, at least 2 or 3 of the 4 have been into it, so probably not much each. Somebody had a huge liquid poo accident in the study Friday. Not sure who, but I suspect either Lucky or my problem-child Nico. Since then, Lucky has just seemed "off". Yesterday, he did ate breakfast reluctantly. He threw up, a little, in the late afternoon. He's been drinking more water than usual. No dinner last night, no breakfast or dinner today. But he'll eat dog biscuits.

No fever. Gums a normal color. No more throwing up. No heaving. Goes out with the other hounds. Just no food. Plenty of water. Pinch test tells me he's not dehydrating. Prefers to stay in another room away from people... this, in itself, is very unusual.

I don't want to panic. I will get him to the vet if he continues the pattern of not eating, but I have a bad feeling about this. I saw it with Ringo, and before that, Shae-Leigh. Obviously, I'm worried. I'm also thinking ahead, knowing that he's easily scared and confused, knowing that he has allergies and a sensitive stomach...

He's not distressed, he's not pacing, he's resting. He's just not eating. I'll try something like ham or chicken later. Thoughts? Yes, a vet check is in order, but are the symptoms lining up like I think they are? <sigh>

Poor boy. He's such a good dog.

DoorandHolidayHounds006.jpg

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

It seems fine - a little dilute, but he has been drinking a lot. I do follow him and watch, heh.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Could have a partial blockage. I'd want an x-ray tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I would also check his pancreatic values. Cat food is high in fat and if he's gotten into it more than once recently you might be dealing with that. So get him into the vet as soon as possible. Just in case this is the problem offer him very low/no fat foods until you get into the vet. Don't fret if he doesn't eat anything until he goes in tomorrow. If it is Pancreatitis the best thing for him is to fast.

Hopefully since he has a sensitive stomach and food allergies he may just be having a bout of colitis from the cat food and feels like crap.

I would have a kidney profile done and hopefully that will tell the story.

If Lucky is having kidney issues, it doesn't always mean kidney "failure" could be stages of kidney disease.

3 of mine have had kidney issues, and the first was Gambler. When we did his blood work, my vet was amazed that he wasn't acting very sick, his #'s were off the chart.

I was so worried about him, but with meds and a kidney diet he did great and his #'s all got in check.

So try not to think the worst

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I would have a kidney profile done and hopefully that will tell the story.

If Lucky is having kidney issues, it doesn't always mean kidney "failure" could be stages of kidney disease.

3 of mine have had kidney issues, and the first was Gambler. When we did his blood work, my vet was amazed that he wasn't acting very sick, his #'s were off the chart.

I was so worried about him, but with meds and a kidney diet he did great and his #'s all got in check.

So try not to think the worst

Exactly! When Goldie had her BAD kidney infection almost five years ago, her kidney value were a MESS! She's been on renal food ever since, and her kidney values are perfect now.

Please don't worry until you have to! Sending good thoughts! Dee