New Grey, No Poop Yet

Guest Chefcnam

Guest Chefcnam

I just got my girl Willy yesterday about 21 hours ago. She's eaten 2 cups of Natural Balance Lamb and Rice kibble last night at 5:45pm and this morning at 6:45am, but she hasn't pooped yet, although she has peed about 4 times. Anybody know what's going on? I want to get her on a good pee/poop schedule before I have to go back to work on Thursday.

Guest AGirlNamedMe

It's probably just the change of schedule and stress that is keeping her from pooping.

You can try taking her for a longer walk and see if that helps get things moving. She'll go when she's ready.

If she hasn't gone in another day or so, you probably want to look into other causes, but I'm guessing this will work itself out - so to speak.

Guest boondog

That's not unusual. Like AGirlNamedMe said, it's most likely the change to her system. Good luck!

Edited by boondog

Guest mcsheltie

Are you walking or turning her out? If she was used to being turned out and now is being walked, the difference in the type of exercise will lead to a little constipation. If she isn't used to going on lead it can take a bit of time to get used to that.

The best way to rectify the situation is to find a fenced in area where she can run. And she'll go after being out a few minutes.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Another thing to try:

If you are leash walking her and you cannot find a safe, fully enclosed, place to allow her off-leash to eliminate, try holding the leash as far away from you as possible and turning your back on her. Sometimes they do get "stage fright".

When I brought Beth home it took well over 24 hours for her to pee! The advice that finally worked was to get a chair and a book and just sit in the yard and ignore her for a while. She definitely needs to get moving to poop, though -- either with a fairly fast-moving leash walk or loose in a space that's big enough for her to really trot back and forth in to find her spot (my yard doesn't qualify, unfortunately).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Another thing to try:

If you are leash walking her and you cannot find a safe, fully enclosed, place to allow her off-leash to eliminate, try holding the leash as far away from you as possible and turning your back on her. Sometimes they do get "stage fright".

Or even hook two leashes together or use a long training line. I had a foster that was a terror to go on lead for 2 weeks. She finally did it but in the short term I thought I was going to lose my mind :lol

Also, some dogs just won't go due to the change in scenery. When I first adopted my boy, whenever we traveled, he'd be on poop-strike for about 24 hours, then he would start going again. So no need to worry just yet. And be thankful you're not having the opposite problem :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Audeamus

When I moved into an apartment with Gir a couple of years ago he held it for 3 days before pooping and he never really has accepted the idea of pooping while leashed.

I'll second the person who said sometimes they get "stage fright" Gir normally doesn't go if someone is watching.

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Good girl!

Hopefully, she will now be able to get on a reliable schedule so you can leave her alone when you go back to work.

xo