Hurt, Limping Dog

Guest jenm

Well, a quiet Sunday morning just got complicated.

My son was out taking Boogie for a walk, and the neighbor's dog got loose from his backyard, and we had a dog fight on the street. Fortunately my son was smart enough not to get in the middle of it, and I was out in the yard a couple of hundred feet away, so got to them and broke it up.

But now Boogie is limping pretty badly and is very sore (no broken skin, most probably pulled some muscles pretty badly -- the neighbor's dog is about 100 lb. Shepherd-Chow mix). Of course the vet's office is closed for the day. Anything I can give him from the home medicine chest that would be safe for Greyhounds?

PS. it's fortunate that our dogs weren't in the wrong here -- Boogie really messed the Tuck up; we're trying to catch him (the neighbor's dog right now -- son and husband are out there while I'm in here). Neither dog was in the wrong (Tuck got lucky getting out of his kennel and the fenced in yard and is not mean at all, but Boogie probably just saw big dog running towards him and his human and went into defense mode, which he did an admirable job of I'll tell you) -- just one of those accidental things. I hope we can get Tuck rounded up before he gets seriously hurt. :(

I've give him an aspirin and see if that helps.

Buffered aspirin--like Ascriptin, is safe, but you really need to check very carefully for puncture wounds that can cause a lot of trouble later!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

(1) 81 mg. low dose aspirin, twice a day. That is all I would give until the dog is seen.

And, yes, do check for puncture wounds, as they can be really small and over-looked. If you do find them, you can clean with warm water, and put anti-bacterial ointment on them, and cover if possible.

Sorry you had to go through this! Good Luck!

I checked him over really well -- no cuts or abrasions (on him) thank goodness. Looks like he just pulled some muscles in his shoulder, possibly a sprain in his leg. He's resting right now on his bed. My son managed to catch the neighbor's dog (Tuck) and get him back home (he's a bit torn up -- thank goodness he's a big dog with a thick, heavy coat -- we cleaned his wound up before taking him back and by then the neighbors were home -- thank goodness they're sensible people). From my son's account, Tuck came running out, barking,not overly aggressive but he certainly looked scary enough, ran into Boogie and Daisy (the pit bull). Daisy didn't do anything but bark (and stand around wagging her tail), but Boogie was having none of it. He got Tuck pretty good; Greyhound - 1, Chow/Shepherd - 0.

Well, I guess this means no dog park outings for Mr. Boogie.

Guest Energy11

This is EXACTLY why I cannot take mine to doggie parks. Staggerlee and Goldie are "Greyhound snobs," and go after ANYTHING that is NOT a greyhound! It is a huge pain, to say the least. I always have to be SURE there are NO other dogs inside the vet. (Goldie had to wait in the van Monday until the Labradoodle came out). I have to be careful whereever we walk, there won't be other dogs.

It is good that Boogie has no obvious injuries. Poor Tuck. Same goes for him. Have the owners clean out the wounds really well, and keep an eye on him. And, Daisy??? Pretty amazing. She was the least aggressive.

Good luck with this!