Questionabout A Grey With Gas

SAVED2

HI, we have 4 greyhounds, they all eat the same food and they all get Activia yogurt on their food, otherwise Sunny gets bad dirreaha. the problem is with Sunny, 8 years old. He has TERRIBLE gas after dinner. When I started them all on Activia, his gas problem stopped for about 3 days, but it is back with a vengence. This has been going on for a long time now, 6-8 months. Nothing has changed, Not their diet, nothing in the house, nothing.

I did try beano and all that did was give him dirreaha. As I said the yogurt worked for about 3 days. Does anyone else have this problem or had this problem? is so, what did you do? Thank you all for your help. Sharon

Edited by SAVED2

Guest Energy11

Might be their food.

Cari had diarrhea and bad gas, until I changed her to all grain free.

I also give my greyts generic Gas-X with their meals sometimes. It does help the gas.

I'd maybe look into GRADUALLY changing their food, and go from there.

Good Luck! Gas stinks ... literally and figuratively! blush.gif

Where do you get the Enzymedica Digest? I will give it a try? also how expensive it is? Retirement has us on a tight budget! Thank you for the help. Sharon

Once we started using Digestive Enzymes, NO MORE GAS!! We use Enzymedica Pet Digest. It works wonders.....

FortiFlora - This stuff really works.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortifloradog.html

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest bluefawn

Mine have all had gas, and sometimes bouts of it! I found that when we gave them table scraps, like pizza crust, pee-yew! It was even worse! I have found that any kind of bread or potatoes, except yams/sweet potatoes, are hard for them to digest and cause gas. So I stay away from grains, breads, potatoes, any kind of starches, and dairy products except good ole yogurt. They stayed pretty gas-free with these changes. Keep us posted! I am sure that many of us await an update since this is a very common problem with the greys.

Guest greytsmom

Hope gas is all you get! Ours started with gas (on a daily basis) about a year ago and the intensitry (smell)gradually got worse. He had been on the same food and snacks for years...nothing new nothing chaged. Out of th eblue uncontrolled bout of diarrhea. Off to vet and diagnosis of food allergy. Finally after 10 weeks improvement and no more gas. Of course, our non allergic food cost $ 56.00 per 18# bag!

Edited by greytsmom

Could be the food just doesn't suit his system. And that can change as a dog ages.

We almost never have gas here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What are you feeding Sunny? My boy Riley cannot tolerate any food with corn or wheat in it. He has gas that could peel the paint off your walls and poops that looked like pudding! We changed his food to the Kirkland Chicken and Rice (no corn, no wheat, no artificial preservatives) and the gas disappeared permanently within a few days and his poops firmed right up. We have to be careful with snacks and cookies too. He can have one cookie with corn/wheat and he is OK, but two and the gas and loose poops comes back.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

FortiFlora - This stuff really works.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortifloradog.html

Our newly-adopted guy had terrible gas and diarrhea after we brought him home a week ago. Per our vet's instructions, he's now getting FortiFlora for the diarrhea and long-term GI health, together with famotidine (Pepcid) for the gas. I can't say for certain whether it's one or the other treatment, or both, but by the second day his gas had all but disappeared!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest meakah

I had a similar thing happen with Koda over the past 6 months or so. She will be 9 yrs old in June. When she had a dental done in January, we discovered her liver levels were a bit higher showing that they are not likely functioning as good as they used to be. She is not going into failure but she does need to go on a lower protein diet (but not to the point of a prescription diet....yet). After discovering this and how she is doing now....I have realized that her soft stool/gas over the past 6 months must have had a lot to do with her diet being too rich in protein for her now slower liver. This has cleared up with a diet change. :) If you haven't had blood work done recently...might be worth running a panel to see how the ol' system is working.

I thought I would first mention that although you may not have changed the food, the food itself may have changed. Companies are constantly changing their formulations (usually adding cheaper fillers) and tend to not make big announcements about it. Unless you happen to keep track of the ingredients and check them occasionally you probably wouldn't catch it. Recently Orijen did this, which I wasn't very happy about. The lakefish, which used to be one of the major ingredients was moved further down the ingredients list to a minor ingredient and where it used to be is now peas.

I had a similar thing happen with Koda over the past 6 months or so. She will be 9 yrs old in June. When she had a dental done in January, we discovered her liver levels were a bit higher showing that they are not likely functioning as good as they used to be. She is not going into failure but she does need to go on a lower protein diet (but not to the point of a prescription diet....yet). After discovering this and how she is doing now....I have realized that her soft stool/gas over the past 6 months must have had a lot to do with her diet being too rich in protein for her now slower liver. This has cleared up with a diet change. smile.gif If you haven't had blood work done recently...might be worth running a panel to see how the ol' system is working.

There is some interesting reading with regard to protein level affecting the kidneys and liver in the DogFoodProject saying that it's not so much the quantity as the quality of the protein that is important. One of the reasons I hate the prescription diets because they are made up of the cheapest of fillers. It also mentions that plenty water intake if being fed a dry kibble diet is very crucial to the point that you should add water to their kibble and not depend on them to drink enough on their own. Here is the link if you would care to read it yourself.

http://www.dogfoodpr...ge=protein_myth

Guest bluefawn

I thought I would first mention that although you may not have changed the food, the food itself may have changed. Companies are constantly changing their formulations (usually adding cheaper fillers) and tend to not make big announcements about it. Unless you happen to keep track of the ingredients and check them occasionally you probably wouldn't catch it. Recently Orijen did this, which I wasn't very happy about. The lakefish, which used to be one of the major ingredients was moved further down the ingredients list to a minor ingredient and where it used to be is now peas.

I had a similar thing happen with Koda over the past 6 months or so. She will be 9 yrs old in June. When she had a dental done in January, we discovered her liver levels were a bit higher showing that they are not likely functioning as good as they used to be. She is not going into failure but she does need to go on a lower protein diet (but not to the point of a prescription diet....yet). After discovering this and how she is doing now....I have realized that her soft stool/gas over the past 6 months must have had a lot to do with her diet being too rich in protein for her now slower liver. This has cleared up with a diet change. smile.gif If you haven't had blood work done recently...might be worth running a panel to see how the ol' system is working.

There is some interesting reading with regard to protein level affecting the kidneys and liver in the DogFoodProject saying that it's not so much the quantity as the quality of the protein that is important. One of the reasons I hate the prescription diets because they are made up of the cheapest of fillers. It also mentions that plenty water intake if being fed a dry kibble diet is very crucial to the point that you should add water to their kibble and not depend on them to drink enough on their own. Here is the link if you would care to read it yourself.

http://www.dogfoodpr...ge=protein_myth

Wow, what an eye opener! Thank you for posting this. I do feed Penny a good quality food, Wellness Super 5 Mix Just For Seniors. I put a little hot water on it, and a spoonful of their canned food. I call it "gravy", and Penny gets excited when I am in the kitchen preparing it for her :) I also keep any leftover broth from when I roast or bake a chicken or some beef or fish (sans any salt or other seasonings) to add to her "gravy". I used to worry about the canned food sticking to her teeth and contributing to tartar buildup, but I realized that the benefits outweigh the risk, and that I would just have to make sure to use dental wipes every day or two to prevent extra buildup.