Anyone Have A Dog With Allergies That "hacks?"

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

I don't know a better way to describe it, but that is sounds like a hack. It's not a cough really. The vet thinks it may be from allergies. Both pups have reddish feet. Rudy's eyes and ears are affected too. There is yellow pollen everywhere outside.

Does anyone else's pup hack from allergies? Thanks so much.

Guest Energy11

We haven't gotten to the pollen stage here, Thank God! But, where you live, I am sure it is all over! Oakly reverse sneezes from pollen. I haven't had any "hackers," but that makes sense. You can try 50 mg of Benedryl (regular, not allergy sinus) every four to six hours, to see if that helps!

Good Luck!

Gee does this and she has horrible allergies. I have to dose her with Benadryl on a daily basis during the spring and summer. I give her 75 to 100 milligrams 2 to 3 times a day depending on how badly she's suffering with them. I get the generic Benadryl at Costco and it's sooooooo much cheaper than buying regular Benadryl! I get a huge bottle for a little over $3.00 so it lasts forever.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone for the responses. Judy, does the generic Benadryl make her sleepy? (Gee has a soft spot in my heart, as she was our secret santa recipient one year.)

Both Dune and Kipper had this occasional weird "hack," sometimes followed by a reverse sneeze, sometimes not. Kipper has allergies; Dune didn't. My vet's second grey also did it.

Benadryl generic as Costco is great! We always have it on hand. It makes Kipper a little sleepy, but not much more than normal! :lol

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

It did in the beginning but not so much any more. She's pretty much adjusted to it now. It does control her scratching and itching really well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mcsheltie

Ariel does. Our vet gave her a Dex shot and it stopped. Started again when it wore off. None of the OTC meds have worked for her. Her allergies are seasonal. No idea what she is allergic to.

this cheap old time remedy helps clear their throat....one squirt(i use a baby medicine dropper filled) of lemon juice down the hatch! the juice breaks up all the mucos and your dog stops hacking away for a couple of days. i save antihisitimes for real sever allergic reactions. generally i use the store's own brand of real lemon.

Guest artemiss

Yep, our our pit bull has a distinctive hack, during pollen season :lol

Benadryl, Roughly 1 mg per pound is how we dose, but I'm not sure it'd be the same for a grey, so I'd check with the vet first.

The standard tabs are 25mg each. To make it easier, you can round up to nearest half pill dose since it's relatively safe up to 2mg per pound. (for example it's safe to give a 70lb dog three pills or 75 mg)

Guest argolola

Thank you everyone. I started Lola on generic Benadryl yesterday and it seems to be better. As soon as Rudy finishes his 2 Rxs, I will start him on it too, as allergies affect his eyes, ears and feet.

Guest Energy11

Glad the Benedryl is helping! It is a pretty amazing medication, and, as the other have said, you can buy it cheaply, too! Good Luck!

Patrick hacks, but the vet says it's due to his thyroid--he only has allergy problems a couple times a year.

The red feet make me think grass allergy

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Celeste will hack due to allergies when pollen is really bad. She doesn't get the red feet and ears though, so it doesn't sound as severe as your pup.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)