Accident-Prone (Pee) Grey

Guest so_greytful

Guest so_greytful

Hello! I am seeking greyhound behavior wisdom and know that this is the place to find it!

We are currently fostering, with the intent to adopt, a sweet three and a half year old red female, Zoe. She is joining a family of another grey (Rory), a Jack Russell/Pug mix, two cats and last but certainly not least, an eight month old baby.

Zoe came to our home on day one after her haul up from Florida. We had her for a week, she was then taken back to our rescue for a few days to be spayed, and then she returned here. All along she has had accidents. We're now numbering about 18 and she has only been here about three weeks.

Here are my thoughts of possible explanations

1. Being in heat. I think she was in some stage of heat initially as she had bloody discharge from her nether regions. I read that being in heat can result in frequent urination however now that she's spayed she continues to have accidents. Prior to her being spayed I had hoped that this was the explanation.

2. Infrequent turnouts. Doesn't appear to be the case as I'm home all day but for errands and let the dogs out every three to four hours, if not sooner if I'm going out. (I'm now letting her out every two hours to preempt accidents.)

3. Separation Anxiety. Doesn't appear to be the case as she has accidents both while I am home and when I am out. Plus there are no other signs of SA. Last evening, we were approaching three hours since last turnout and she went in the dining room adjacent to me in the kitchen preparing dinner.

4. Underlying medical cause, i.e. UTI. Would that be the culprit if she can go longer periods, i.e. overnight?

Other points to help paint the picture . . .

~ I am taking her to the vet on Tuesday and will bring a urine sample to address the possibility of a UTI.

~ I've started letting her out in our fenced backyard more frequently, i.e. every two hours. Upon going out she immediately goes to the bathroom. Each time. And not a token pee, but a fairly lengthy one. In reading other posts, it's not as though she doesn't know to go outside or won't. She does so readily.

~ She has only had one poopy accident in the house.

~ I have a crate and have used it as she seems to like it (at this point I leave its door open for her to come and go.) She had one accident in there early on when I closed her in it upon leaving.

~ She's had an accident in almost every room in the house.

~ For the last two evenings she has slept in our bedroom with the rest of the menagerie. (Otherwise she cries downstairs and it breaks my heart.) I've slept lightly listening for any signs but she's done well and slept straight through. How can she go eight plus hours at night but not two or three during the day?!

She is a fabulous grey, with hardly any other issues to speak of, who is otherwise fitting in seemingly well. She's pretty laid back, not alarmed by house noises, the baby, etc. I'm just perplexed by her accident proneness.

I apologize for the long post . . . I just wanted to give all details. I am really hoping to get to the bottom of this, as goes without saying, but especially because I have a crawling eight month old!

Thanks so very, very much for any insights!!

P.S. Here's a shot of Zoe, almost named Ellie due to her elephant ears!

025.jpg

She could have a UTI. Yes, she might still be able to hold it all night -- dogs have the same hormone that people do, that reduces urine output at night.

Has she had a CBC (full bloodwork)? That would be useful to check if nothing turns up on the urinalysis.

Difficult with other dogs in the house, but it would also be useful to monitor how much she is drinking as best you can. Sometimes overdrinking can indicate a medical issue. And sometimes, the nervousness/stress of a new home (even if dog doesn't seem especially stressed) can lead to overdrinking, which of course leads to peeing a lot.

Letting her out every couple hours is good. I usually do that with a newbie until they start insisting they don't wanna go and don't have to.

Hugs and best luck -- she's a lovely girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A UTI is the first thing I would check. Next, how is her water consumption? Does she drink about the same amount, or a lot more than your other GH?

Go outside with her and watch her pee :blush . What color is the urine? If it's nearly clear, there's a problem with the concentration of the urine. (This could be related to the water consumption.) That could indicate problems other than a UTI. Is it very dark, orange, red or brown? That could be a UTI with bleeding. If you get either extreme, you might call the vet about bringing in a sample today, rather than waiting 'til Tuesday.

Did she have accidents before the spay? If not, it could be related to "spay incontinence".

Are there any other behaviors, like panting, pacing, licking, scratching, anything else that might seem like "new greyhound" stuff that might also be vague signs/symptoms of something else?

I would do a UA and bloodwork also. It will help you know what's going on, and it will serve as a good baseline later. If she's still a foster, would your group help you with the costs?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest so_greytful

Oh wow! Thanks *so much* for your quick and helpful replies!!

I was thinking along the same lines re: her water consumption and will make a concerted effort to track that better. You're right that with all the animals we are constantly filling and refreshing the water bowls but I'll do my best! Anecdotally, I don't *feel* like she's drinking any more than our other Grey but that's just a quick observation. I can say without a doubt that she sleeps/lounges just as much as her!

I appreciate your comments re: frequent turnouts. Admittedly, I have viewed them as "Oh my, am I always going to have to do this every two hours?" However, it's a good perspective to think that ideally she may not necessitate such a frequency and will be annoyed or disinterested as our other two pups are. I hadn't looked at it that way! Great information to have re: acclimating new greys to home life.

Thanks too for recommending a pee inspection. I just did so (props to the major snows here in the NE making it easy to view the color!) and I guess I'd report that it's a golden yellow. The color doesn't strike me as alarmingly too weak or too strong - but may perhaps be a bit more golden than it should be.

She did have the accidents prior to her being spayed, so unfortunately I don't think that's the answer. Nor is she displaying any other signs or symptoms . . . no excessive licking, panting, pacing, etc. That's part of the reason I'm curious about the UTI . . . she doesn't appear to strain to pee or have discomfort in doing so. I haven't checked her belly due to her being spayed, so I'm not sure if she has discomfort in that region related to a UTI.

I'll definitely keep you posted on the UA and CBC. Hopefully they turn up some answers! Now how they'll be paid for is yet to be determined. Our adoption group has offered to help however if she does become a permanent member of our family, I'm ok with footing the bill.

Thank you again so very much and enjoy the weekend!

Hello! I am seeking greyhound behavior wisdom and know that this is the place to find it!

We are currently fostering, with the intent to adopt, a sweet three and a half year old red female, Zoe. She is joining a family of another grey (Rory), a Jack Russell/Pug mix, two cats and last but certainly not least, an eight month old baby.

Zoe came to our home on day one after her haul up from Florida. We had her for a week, she was then taken back to our rescue for a few days to be spayed, and then she returned here. All along she has had accidents. We're now numbering about 18 and she has only been here about three weeks.

Maybe this article will help. http://greytarticles.wordpress.com/behavior-training/to-pee-or-not-to-pee-where-is-the-question/

Guest mcsheltie

You've gotten good advice. If she doesn't have a UTI and continues to pee in the house even tho you are letting her out every two hours, keep her on a leash. Tie her to you if need both hands. Don't give her the opportunity to pee in the house again.

Take her with you when you run errands that will keep you out of the house longer than two hours. Otherwise crate her when you leave.

Thoroughly clean the areas she has peed on. A cheap (costs $2) and very effect solution is:

sm bottle peroxide

2 tsp baking soda

3 drops Dawn

lg peroxide

2 tbs BS

6 drops Dawn

Guest so_greytful

More wonderful tips, including the less costly solution recipe. I've been going through a ton of Nature's Miracle, so it's nice to know of an alternative. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We had an accident-free day yesterday with the every two hour turnouts! Zoe even went about four hours in her crate while I was out of the house yesterday afternoon. The day was topped off by an accident-free long slumber last evening upstairs with us! Hopefully today will be more of the same. I'll continue to approach the issue from both sides (behavioral and medical via a UA) and hope that one of the courses of action does the trick. She's an absolute love (aren't they all!?) and I have a feeling that this is just an initial hurdle.

Marcia - thank you for the greytaricles link. In reading the "To Pee or Not to Pee" article I was encouraged (and reinforced)by that which I already knew and tried while moreso inspired by that which I learned. I'm on Facebook also and just today Greyhounds Make Great Pets posted a link to greytarticles on its 'wall,' referencing it as "A greyhound site worth bookmarking!" Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't already!

Thank you all again!

Marcia - thank you for the greytaricles link. In reading the "To Pee or Not to Pee" article I was encouraged (and reinforced)by that which I already knew and tried while moreso inspired by that which I learned. I'm on Facebook also and just today Greyhounds Make Great Pets posted a link to greytarticles on its 'wall,' referencing it as "A greyhound site worth bookmarking!" Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't already!

Thank you all again!

I didn't know; thanks for the heads up!

Marcia

Guest so_greytful

I'll be certain to join!

As an update re: Zoe . . . UA came back free and clear of any problems. I'll continue to work with her in making the 'potty outside' association and am at least comforted to know that I'm not ignoring a UTI. We'll get there!

Guest giantsfan

She did have the accidents prior to her being spayed, so unfortunately I don't think that's the answer. Nor is she displaying any other signs or symptoms . . . no excessive licking, panting, pacing, etc. That's part of the reason I'm curious about the UTI . . . she doesn't appear to strain to pee or have discomfort in doing so. I haven't checked her belly due to her being spayed, so I'm not sure if she has discomfort in that region related to a UTI.

Our Winnie displayed similar peeing tendencies when first adopted. She wouldn't have accidents every day, and never when we were home or at night, only when left for those long hours when we were working. At first we thought that she couldn't "hold it" that long, but it was odd it didn't happen every day. Even though she displayed no other symptoms our vet suggested a UA and she did have a odd/low grade UTI. Round of meds and not a problem in the 1.5 years since.

Good luck!

I would second the "basic house-breaking" suggestions... keep her close to you so that you can pick up on her subtle signs that she needs to go, go out with her and praise like crazy when she goes outside.

If she does seem to go in a particular location inside we had great success with feeding our dog in that location so that she knew that was not an appropriate place to go.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).