Add The Salad Spinner To The List

Asta has several kitchen items that she does not want to see/hear:

toaster

waffle iron

electric griddle

the crinkling of the bread bag (it will likely lead to toaster use)

and now, as I discovered tonight . . . the salad spinner!

When she hears or sees these things, she heads straight for the basement. :colgate

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest pennmorgan

Olivia hated aluminum foil at first. Any time I'd get out the container, she'd move toward the back bedroom. But she got over that pretty quickly, when she realized it wasn't going to kill her.

My last one, Angel, so hated the sound of the garden water tap being turned on that I changed it for a new one to stop it squeaking. But it was really the hose she disliked and the squeak was a vital early warning.

With our latest addition, Peggy, I've been careful to send out calming signals for anything new or scary that might have been happening. I even got her to go up wooden beach steps the other day using that method - took less than 5 minutes. After a year it is only the vacuum cleaner that makes her leave the room, I don't think she's scared just that she hates the noise it makes the same as I do.

(There's an article on Calming Signals at Turid Rugaas site which will come up straight away if you Google for it)

Edited by JohnF

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Day 1, Pete was trotting around checking things out, and he spied the toilet. So he went into the bathroom and took a look. Could this be a feeder? Being a first time dog owner and a general moron, I obligingly flushed it for him so he could see what it does. Bam, he blasted out of the bathroom like a rocket and into the crate. Thus went the one and only time he ever ventured into the bathroom. A year and a half later he'll stick his nose through a crack in the door or whine outside if he wants me to hurry up, but that's it.

withstupid.gif

Edited by bigbrindlebunny

Day 1, Pete was trotting around checking things out, and he spied the toilet. So he went into the bathroom and took a look. Could this be a feeder? Being a first time dog owner and a general moron, I obligingly flushed it for him so he could see what it does. Bam, he blasted out of the bathroom like a rocket and into the crate. Thus went the one and only time he ever ventured into the bathroom. A year and a half later he'll stick his nose through a crack in the door or whine outside if he wants me to hurry up, but that's it.

withstupid.gif

That's funny!!! Mine look at the toilet as the never empty water bowl...a flush means fresh water!!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Bu hates the beep of the toaster and when it dings he bolts upstairs. Also if I use the microwave too much he'll run upstairs when it beeps.

Too funny. So far my new guy loves *everything* about the kitchen, as long as I'm in it. He just assumes that any tool or appliance I use in the kitchen means that food's coming his way. (Not true of course, but he's always hopeful.) And since we're adding cooked rice to his food to help get his digestive system, ahem, settled, the microwave is his favorite - I use it to warm the rice to room temp at mealtime.

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

i agree about the kitchen, anything in there means 'food', especially the dinging box, they quickly learned toaster (they love toast), can opener, refrigerator door, and they can hear me getting a couple of cocktail sausages out of their container at 200 yds. ham and or cheese unwrapping at 100 yds...

blue was initially scared of me opening the freezer compartment (on mine, it's below the refrigerator bit) but he's learned that i keep neat doggy snack things like frozen beans and brussel sprouts in there for them.

they both were afraid of the insect zapper i put out one summer when the flies were driving me nuts, they never did get used to it like they did the battery operated airwick air freshener that sprays every 36 minutes. it initially sent them hiding, but they ignore it now. the smoke alarm low battery beep gets them tho, or the full alarm if i burn something in the kitchen...

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.