Uncontrollable Teeth Chattering

ivon

As some of you know, Darla has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma (topic)she is on 20mg Prednisone twice a day and Tramadol as needed, I gave her 1/2 pill twice today. She is lying on her dog bed and her teeth are chattering, audibly, and she is shaking all over, I put a comforter over her in case she is cold, but her ears feel normal to the touch, not too hot or cold...could the meds cause this?

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Energy11

I would say, yes, the meds OR pain, OR both, could be causing this, especially if she isn't cold to the touch.

How are her gums? Are they pink? I know in some cases, Tramadol can cause seizures, as well.

Might be worth a quick call to your vet (*if available), or the E-vet, just to get their opinions.

Good luck and lots of prayers for Darla!

I've never known either drug to cause shaking, but that sure doesn't mean it can't happen. Pain can do it for sure.

Please give your vet a call and ask.

Keeping Darla in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending prayers it's a transient reaction to the meds and she will feel better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Whew! Must have been a bad reaction to the meds, I will ask the vet which one is most likely to blame, my best guess based on some research is the Tramadol. She stopped shaking and panting and even ate another whole can of food! She is calm now and sleeping, thanks for small miracles! This is the fastest I have ever seen a disease progress, she seemed fine, except for the arthritis, until Monday night, and now she is going downhill pretty fast. This is hard, I wish she could talk and tell me how she feels, as it is I will have to try my best to read her face, her eyes and the way she acts, but I am afraid we don't have much time together left...she is so sweet, but she is not going to get better, or be cured, and I cannot allow myself to put her through pain and misery. Just when I think this is it, I can't let this go on, she comes and does a 180, and puts time and effort into getting her blanket just right, so she can use it as a pillow...fussy as always. For now, I hope for a restful and uneventful night for her, me, I will have to find a pillow to punch the cr@p out of....

She was shaky and very tense this morning, the vet had oncology report back, and it is inconclusive....her advice was to double the pred, drop the Tramadol, and put her on Cephalexin, just in case it is an infection. Not likely, since no elevated white blood cell count, and no fever, but it can't hurt. The oncologist suggested a biopsy to determine for sure if it's cancer or not, so I asked my vet if the treatment would be any different, and of course it wouldn't, so we both agreed there is no point to poke and prod Darla. Went home at lunch to give her the antibiotic and see how if her breakfast was gone, she ate all her food and I had to give her more! I took that for a good sign, also she was relaxed and alert, no more shaking....

She was shaky and very tense this morning, the vet had oncology report back, and it is inconclusive....her advice was to double the pred, drop the Tramadol, and put her on Cephalexin, just in case it is an infection. Not likely, since no elevated white blood cell count, and no fever, but it can't hurt. The oncologist suggested a biopsy to determine for sure if it's cancer or not, so I asked my vet if the treatment would be any different, and of course it wouldn't, so we both agreed there is no point to poke and prod Darla. Went home at lunch to give her the antibiotic and see how if her breakfast was gone, she ate all her food and I had to give her more! I took that for a good sign, also she was relaxed and alert, no more shaking....

Excellent! We're keeping her in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Good to hear she is doing well!

Yep, could definitely be the Tramadol. I have heard of other dogs reacting adversly to that drug, even though it is a good one. Like people, dogs, too, can respond to drugs differently!

Keeping Darla in our prayers and thoughts! Dee and The Five ..p.s., I wouldn't "poke or prod" her either :-)