Muzzles

Guest Duke

Week three with my grey, Duke. I am a teacher so the first week he was home with me I ended up having two snow days and then returned to work for a day with a week off for winter break following. Over the break I did leave him home for a few hours at a time and he inconsistently barked and or whined while I was gone, whined more than barked.

I live in the upstairs apartment of a two story house so my landlord reports on what they hear. Returned to work this week and he has been getting poor reports, whining and barking, some days worse than others. He does not have any accidents and he does not chew or destroy anything. I get him out for a walk before I leave and feed him. He has the run of my small one bedroom apartment which means the bed and couch are all his.

Should I consider muzzling him during the day? I hate the thought and it sounds potentially harmful. Any suggestions? In his foster home he was with other dogs, his foster mom reported that she didn't know if he barked as she was not home but most likely he didn't because he was with other greys. Help, suggestions, support- all welcome

Edited by Duke

A basket muzzle, which is the type of muzzle greyhounds are used to wearing, will not prevent a dog from barking. From what I understand, you should not leave a dog unattended with a muzzle that keeps the dog's mouth shut as it's dangerous. For example, if the dog vomited. Unless there's a different type of muzzle out there that I don't know about (I'm a fairly new dog owner)?

You should to a search for alone training -there are lots of threads on this site.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just an FYI, the basket muzzle or "turn-out" muzzle that greyhounds use can be worn without supervision as they are specifically designed to be able to eat, drink, sleep, ect. with while being worn. The muzzles that you buy at the pet store that are canvis, or the other muzzles that strap the mouth of the dog closed, yes those are not to be used without supervision.

Chad

I know this is redundant to those of you who have been on here and have years of experience behind you I did a quick look in the forum on behaviors. Can anyone give me a list of alone training basics?

Sounds like more alone training is required, back to the basics. As you know, there are other tools to use as well to 'calm' your pup, like DAP diffusers, some use Melatonin...something to take the 'edge' off.

We muzzle Brucie with the kennel turn out muzzle because he can get mischievous. Doesn't bother him in the least.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest PiagetsMom

You'd asked for basics for alone training.....found this previous post by twitehouse:

You also need to do lots and lots of alone training. Especially since you work from home and are with him a lot., alone training is really going to help you. This is where you leave for 30 seconds, come back, leave for 1 minute, come back, leave for 5 minutes (drive around the block), come back, etc until you work up for 2-3 hours. Everytime you come back, ignore him and don't pay any attention to him other than saying "Hi." I would also recommend getting the book "I"ll Be Home Soon." This is a great tool and will show you exactly what you need to do when you have a dog with SA issues

I've also read and recommend "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell.

If you don't already, you might want to try leaving on a TV or radio when you leave. I know some play "Canine Lullabies" with good success, but I'm not sure where it could be purchased.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest earlkattangrey

I agree with the SA training, try to create a positive association with you leaving, ignore him for last and first ten minutes you are home, and spend some time leaving for 5 minutes, returning, 10 minutes, returning, 30 minutes, etc. Leave 5 times for ten minutes on one day, just slipping him a treat without looking or talking to him just as you go out the door.

But also, if he's very food driven, hide pieces of kibble (or something more yummy if required) about the house for a scavenger hunt, leave a filled kong, or perhaps an everlasting treat ball or tug a jug, etc? Something to keep his mind off you and get him enjoying your absence a little more.

Edited by earlkattangrey

Guest twhitehouse

Don't muzzle him if he's not being destructive.

Agree that he needs some more alone training. You need to start with small times, like one minute and work your way up. If you hear him crying, don't go back in, wait until he is quiet, if even for a second. If you come back when he's crying it just reinforces the behavior.

Consider getting a DAP collar although it doesn't always help, but it's worth a try. Also agree with giving him a treat. A stuffed kong of Bento ball might keep him busy.

Just an FYI, the basket muzzle or "turn-out" muzzle that greyhounds use can be worn without supervision as they are specifically designed to be able to eat, drink, sleep, ect. with while being worn. The muzzles that you buy at the pet store that are canvis, or the other muzzles that strap the mouth of the dog closed, yes those are not to be used without supervision.

Chad

Thanks Chad, I was going to say the same thing. When I moved to my house I live in now, everyone wore a muzzle while I was at work. It does not keep their mouth shut, they can eat & drink with it on & in some cases at the kennels, they can bite an ear off.

It sounds like this pup is just lonely & wants company. Do you keep the tv or radio on? I have one that does not like to be crated, so she has the run of the house with the boys, I have one (Gabby) who is crated due to her age & seizures which she hasn't had in over a year.

Remember greyhounds are born into large litters, are on puppy farms & racing farms in large groups, so these guys aren't used to being alone. Do you come home for lunch? Is there anyone you can trust to come over during the day to take him for a walk?

He is not destructive and there are no accidents so I am thankful for that. I don’t make a big deal when I leave or come home, I read Greyhounds for Dummies prior to his arrival as well as Cesar Milan’s books. I leave the TV on and even tried a country music channel as I read somewhere that that music is played for them at the farms? Today I bought a calming collar and quiet moments dog treats. I read some information on desensitizing him to my leaving triggers such as the sound of keys, and the sound of the door opening. Thanks for the feedback

Guest FreddyGirl

Keep him busy- leave him with a frozen kong,stuffed with low fat yogurt/mozzaella cheese/peanut nutter.

Leave radio with music on and yes, do alone training.

Guest gecko_foot

He is not destructive and there are no accidents so I am thankful for that. I don’t make a big deal when I leave or come home, I read Greyhounds for Dummies prior to his arrival as well as Cesar Milan’s books. I leave the TV on and even tried a country music channel as I read somewhere that that music is played for them at the farms? Today I bought a calming collar and quiet moments dog treats. I read some information on desensitizing him to my leaving triggers such as the sound of keys, and the sound of the door opening. Thanks for the feedback

Can you record him on a video camera for at least 10 minutes? Sometimes seeing the dog's reaction can tell you how severe the SA is and what you might need to do to correct it. My grey will bark his head off if left out in a room with a baby gate over the door, but he is much less stressed in the crate (at least for now).

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Update: A month and a week since I have had him and I am happy to report that he has settled into our routine and no longer barks or whines when I leave. He does not get anxious and barely moves off of the couch when he sees me go for the keys, pocketbook and or coat!. I love him!