Is There A Good Place To Buy Chlorambucil (Leukeran)?

My vet called in Ace's prescription to our Target pharmacy. I called to see if it was ready and how much it would be. $73 for two dosages (she needs to take 20 mg, every 2 weeks). :eek I almost fainted.

Does she need to take this forever????? If not, how long does she need to be on it? I asked Dr. Couto these questions in an email that had MANY questions, and he never answered me as far as how long she has to take it.

All I can say at this moment is, WOW. I hope someone has an alternate resource :blink:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Have you checked with OSU Greyhound Wellness service? They try to provide low/no cost chemo drugs to Greyhounds when they can. At least they used to & quite recently.

ETA: I meant to phrase that as, did you email the wellness service as opposed to just emailing Dr. Couto.

Edited by kudzu

Guest K9Cookies

Yes, I'm sorry, Kristin, it's expensive. I believe we started asking OSU to supply the chemo medications when we switched to the Leukeran. They will send the medications to your vet at no charge. You may want to send another email to Dr. Couto or his team and request the medication.

As for how long she needs to take it, that depends. If she does well on this protocol and achieves a remission than it means the medication is fighting back the cancer. Ace's cancer is different from Bonnie's though, I can't tell you if she'll have to be on chemo for a certain length of time. Hope Dr. Couto can help. His emails are always very short, and we sometimes had to send several emails to get questions answered. He never seemed to mind that though. :goodluck

Edited to add that we always got most of our prescriptions from Sam's Club. Much cheaper. Maybe try a Wal-Mart too.

Edited by K9Cookies

When I initially talked to Dr. C about what she needed (and said that I had heard that OSU sometimes provides chemo at low/no cost), he said that they only provide the injectable chemo and not the oral chemo - "for a number of logistical reasons." Maybe I will email him and ask him if he can recommend a good place to get it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest K9Cookies

I'm pretty sure that they sent us some Leukeran. It has to be refrigerated and we had to throw some away because it was warm. Maybe they stopped doing it. :dunno Definitely shop around. The prices can vary by quite a bit. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Might be able to get it cheaper at one of the university vet schools? Is UW closest one to you?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

...Iowa State, University of Illinois, and UW are probably all about the same distance: 3 hours.

Oh THANKS Jordan! That pharmacy checker is great! There was a place on there charging $1.64 per pill. The lowest I can find around here is $3.65/pill.

You may want to check with Costco. Even if they don't have a warehouse near you, they have an online pharmacy. They also have a prescription discount program for members without prescription insurance. I asked if Mandy counted since she was my dog and I don't have prescription insurance for her and they said yes. The discount program knocks a little more off each medication, the percentage varies. I didn't see Leukeran listed, but if you contact them, I'm sure they'll give you the current price. The difference in price on both Mandy's and my medications more than paid for the yearly membership.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest zoolaine

Sunny is a member of the Costco program and saves on all his prescriptions. I am not sure about Leukeran but I know with Sunny's budesonide it was way, way, way cheaper at a local compounding pharmacy. I would look in the phone book for a compounding pharmacy and call them - worth a try.

You may want to check with Costco. Even if they don't have a warehouse near you, they have an online pharmacy. They also have a prescription discount program for members without prescription insurance. I asked if Mandy counted since she was my dog and I don't have prescription insurance for her and they said yes. The discount program knocks a little more off each medication, the percentage varies. I didn't see Leukeran listed, but if you contact them, I'm sure they'll give you the current price. The difference in price on both Mandy's and my medications more than paid for the yearly membership.

That was one of the first places I looked - Costco doesn't have it listed, though I'm sure they could order it. Because it's chemotherapy, it's more difficult to find.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg