Anxiety?

Guest hurleysmomma24

Guest hurleysmomma24

Hi all. I am new here but looking for help. I have a 6 year old greyhound that I raised from 3 months to now! Last night he woke up spazzing out. I do not even know how to best describe it. It's almost like he is sleepwalking and having an anxiety attack. Tonight I gave him a benadryl in hopes of getting some rest since my fiancee is sick as well. I am going to call his vet tomorrow but I am wondering if anyone else had had this issue. He paces, pants, his heart rate is high, and he wimpers. He is drinking and eating normal and he is going out to potty normal. He does have a low thyroid but has been on meds for a few months now and just had his check up a few weeks ago. Someone please help me!!

I think you are right in taking him to the vet. It could be something as minor as a muscle cramp, but you never know. Maybe others can tell you if this sounds like it could have been a seizure of some kind? A check-up would be a great idea. Hope it was just a one-time thing!

Guest greyhound9797

He paces, pants, his heart rate is high, and he wimpers. He is drinking and eating normal and he is going out to potty normal.

These actions would concern me if they are new symptoms. I would get him to the vet ASAP.

Sandra in FL

Guest BiancasMom

It could be his thyroid meds are too high. Symptoms of HYPERthyroidism can present this way. I'd get him to your vet right away.

Edited by BiancasMom

Guest Energy11

It could be his thyroid meds are too high. Symptoms of HYPERthyroidism can present this way. I'd get him to your vet right away.

Exactly what I was thinking, too. If the thyriod functions are too HIGH, everything going into "overdrive." I have seen this in humans, many times. I'd see the vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. IF it IS HYPERthyroidism, it is "fixable."

I agree that a vet check is in order ASAP. Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyandSioux

In the book I have on them it says their thyroid runs low. That has held true with the ones I have seen in the clinic as well. A vet check would be a great idea with blood work if the vet agrees.

Guest hurleysmomma24

Hi All... I took Hurley to the vet today and we learned he is indeed having seizures. What we are seeing, his anxiety, as actually the after effects of the seizures. At this time we are just on benadryl to we can get an idea of how often and how long these are lasting. Thank you all for your support. I am one scared and stressed momma!

Guest Energy11

Glad you got a diagnosis!

Just remember, there are LOTS of good medications out there to control seizures!

Hoping everything settles down for Hurley soon!