Ugh...now Something Is Wrong With Roxie Eve

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Eve was out running laps yesterday in the backyard. It had just snowed.

This am she doesn't want to put weight on her front paw and has trouble standing. She just wants to lay down. Called the vet scheduled 4:15 appt - Vet called about 3:45 had complications with a dental had to cancel us. She got us in first thing in the am.

Not sure what to do - if I should give Eve an aspirin or Rymadil or Tramadol. She's laying on the couch looking so sad. We can't tell what's hurting her - she's so good at hiding it. She's hasn't gotten up since I got home at 4:30.

I can't believe my vet could cancel my appt like that...it's not like Eve just had shots scheduled...

Any advice???? Thank you!

I wouldn't give any meds so that there won't be any conflict with whatever your vets gives tomorrow. Hope she feels better before then.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

I had basically the same situation with Goldie last week. She as running around the front turnout pen, and when we tried to take her for a walk, she held up her left rear leg, and looked at me with glazed eyes. I immediatly gave her Deramaxx, which is a close cousin to Rimadyl. I personally WOULD give the Rimadyl, for it's anti-inflammatory and pain killing properties. This could only help her rest, and help whatever the injury is, heal. Sorry you weren't able to see the vet. Of course, if she gets worse tonight, there is always the E-vet.

Sending lots of healing love and prayers! Dee and The Five

Sometimes they will limp with a neck injury so, it might not be the foot/limb at all. Of course your vet will have to determine that. I also would go ahead and give a nsaid like rimadyl and absolutely give tramadol. The only problem giving rimadyl is if warranted your vet will not be able to use a steroid tomorrow if necc. but, a narc like tramadol would not be a problem.

Guest Energy11

Sometimes they will limp with a neck injury so, it might not be the foot/limb at all. Of course your vet will have to determine that. I also would go ahead and give a nsaid like rimadyl and absolutely give tramadol. The only problem giving rimadyl is if warranted your vet will not be able to use a steroid tomorrow if necc. but, a narc like tramadol would not be a problem.

EXCELLENT point on the NSAID vs. the narcotic (Tramadol), if Pred is indicated. As long as the pain is relieved, and the dog is comfortable... Tramadol is fine.

I also would avoid meds so as not to interfere with whatever the vet might need to give her. And I don't think I'd risk her having pain meds that mask how she's feeling when the vet sees her tomorrow.

But please don't blame the vet. If that had been your dog in surgery for a dental and having complications, you'd have been rightfully steamed if the vet had abandoned her to take care of a non-life-threatening injured leg.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest AGirlNamedMe

The other thing to keep in mind with the vet is s/he probably gave instructions to the person at the front desk to move some appointments around. If this happens again (unlikely) and the dog is in pain, you could certainly be a bit assertive ... and if that doesn't work, ask that the vet give you a call after the surgery.

Disclaimers: I'm not saying that you handled this wrong or that you're hurting your doggy by waiting - not at all. My biggest point is that the people at the front desk don't always make the best decisions. Not that they aren't under a lot of pressure and have their own issues. (I think that's enough of the disclaimers, yes?) :lol

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I was just venting about my Vet, she's actually good - I just hate seeing my baby in pain.

We saw the vet this am. Roxie is not flipping her front paw back to normal when it is flipped backward -that's probably not a good description. The vet had a technical name for it which I didn't catch. She's doing the same thing, though not a bad with her back foot. It's like she doesn't know it's flipped the wrong way. She seems to have pain in her neck when vet try to turn it to right & left. So Roxie got a shot of prednisone today, orders to take her collar off and use harness, only outside on leash for 2 weeks and prednisone to take home and start tomorrow. Roxie can also have up to 2 tramadol every 8 hours for pain as needed. Vet is hoping this will improve her condition. If no improvement or she gets worse we have to go to neruologist.

Thank you everyone, please keep Roxie in your prayers.

I'm sorry to hear she isn't better but glad she got in to the vet. Holding out prayers that the meds and rest will fix things up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.