Housebroken, And Then Not.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

We found out when they delivered Vivie that she wasn't housebroken. Nobody mentioned that prior. And really, they said "she's PRETTY MUCH house trained" on her paperwork. Would have been a deal breaker, but whatever, I thought we could handle it. She had a few accidents and then she was fine. In the last week, she's started pooping in the house almost every day. She goes in the morning before I leave work, and has an accident sometime between 830 and 430. Nothing has changed and I can't imagine why she'd need to poop 3x a day. ?? She goes again at night before bed. Do we need to crate her? What are our options? Maybe isolate her to the kitchen (linoleum) area? I just don't know how/why she could hold it before but can't now.

Vet trip? I'm frustrated.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Sounds like a vet trip is in order. She should have been treated for all of that already, but that would be awesome if it was that easily fixed.

Guest Swifthounds

How long have you had her? Were you crating initially, but not doing so now? If she came from an adoption group and was raced, she's probably "crate-trained" which is sometimes stated as somewhat or "pretty much" house trained. She may just not be ready for whole house freedom.

Regarding the pooping, are the stools firm? Frequency of pooping could be a result of nerves on her part, but it can also be directly related to the amount of undigestible or minimally digestible material in her diet (grains, soy, veggies, etc.). The less non-meat you put in the front end, the less you get out the back.

You say she goes in the morning, but is that just a trip out to the yard, or do you walk her? I find that when I walk my pups, it tends to get their bowels moving. Sometimes Tipper will poop four times in one walk! (of course there's not much left by then, not for lack of trying)

Maybe a walk (or a longer walk if you're already walking) before leaving for work would help make sure she's good and empty.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest lanielovesgreys

She was a coyote hunter, not a racer. At her foster home, she was crated for meals only.

We've been feeding the Kirkland chicken and rice. She's always been on this. At her foster home (3 months) and at my home (1 month).

Keep the ideas coming, I couldn't think of a single reason this would change so suddenly.

You say she goes in the morning, but is that just a trip out to the yard, or do you walk her? I find that when I walk my pups, it tends to get their bowels moving. Sometimes Tipper will poop four times in one walk! (of course there's not much left by then, not for lack of trying)

Maybe a walk (or a longer walk if you're already walking) before leaving for work would help make sure she's good and empty.

It's a trip out to the yard. Her limping ended up being a pulled muscle so we're not exercising her much. But that's been a constant since the adoption, too.

Guest PiagetsMom

Wish I had a suggestion for you, but I can tell you that my Piaget poops 4 times a day - morning wakeup, after breakfast, mid-afternoon, after dinner - almost every day. So, it might be possible that Vivie does have to go more than 3 times a day. I'm home during the day, and stick to a pretty routine eating/walking schedule, so I can't say if this would be a problem for her if she didn't have that regular opportunity to take care of business.

If she goes out to the yard, are you making sure she defacates? Naples had this problem too, and when we realized that she usually did not defacate on the first trip, she got a second trip out after breakfast, and she would defacate. After that, we have had no problems with her in the house.

The first thing I would check is a stool sample. Rule out medical first. If that is not is, try two trips outside, or at least make SURE she goes on her only trip out. Sometimes they need more than one!

Good luck!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

What's your schedule in the AM? Wake up, meal time, potty trips, etc. Also, how much are you feeding her at each meal?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest lanielovesgreys

Our schedule:

645am - turn out, sometimes she poops then, sometimes not.

645-745 - back to bed (for all of us)

745 - turn out again, waiting for her to poop if she didn't at 645, breakfast (1.5cups)

430 - husband returns from work, turn out, she usually poops then

530 - dinner (1.5 cups)

and then multiple turn outs in the evening.

like I said, she's not getting regular walks daily like Laika, just because of her muscle. that'll end in about a week.

Should we take it down to 3/4 - 1 cup of food in the am and increase her pm meal? Vet appt on Thursday afternoon to rule out a medical issue.

8:30 to 4:30 is a long time for some dogs with no potty break.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

8:30 to 4:30 is a long time for some dogs with no potty break.

Agreed.......not sure about Piaget, but Mirage would have a very difficult time going that long. He's pretty good up to 5 or maybe 6 hours, but it would be stretching it after that.

Our schedule:

745 - turn out again, waiting for her to poop if she didn't at 645, breakfast (1.5cups)

530 - dinner (1.5 cups)

like I said, she's not getting regular walks daily like Laika, just because of her muscle. that'll end in about a week.

Should we take it down to 3/4 - 1 cup of food in the am and increase her pm meal? Vet appt on Thursday afternoon to rule out a medical issue.

Assuming no parasites, I would consider feeding her after that first 6:45 turn out, so she has time to digest and "make" a poop before that last turn out. I would also, at least as an experiment, turn that second turn out into a walk - I know she's injured, but it doesn't have to be a fast paced walk. Our morning walk is just a bathroom walk - tkaes 10-20 minutes to meander around a few blocks of my condo community. Tom Tom almost always poops a second time, sometimes a third. If you do it a few days in a row and she never goes more than once, then you'll know it's not necessary and can go back to the yard turn out and just watching to be certain she's pooped. Last resort would be feeding 1 cup in teh am and 2 in the pm.

If you do all of that and she still has accidents, then I would consider a mid-day walk.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Swifthounds

Our schedule:

530 - dinner (1.5 cups)

I would adjust the schedule to feed her after her first turn out, not right before her second. When I fed kibble and fed a breakfast meal the hounds had a first morning potty trip, then breakfast, then one and sometimes two potty trips before everyone left for work. Whether they had 2 or 3 morning trips wasn't as essential as there being an hour or so between food and last potty.

Guest johnandheidi

Long walk in the morning works for us, even if it's a slow paced walk. We walk our boys for at least 25 minutes in the morning, sometimes 45-60 minutes on the weekends. We don't come home until they've each gone at least once. The longer walk generally yields 2 poops from each of our lads. We work from home and do take them on add'l tinkle breaks during the day, but only a 2 minute trip to the end of the block. We walk them again in the early evening, about 9-10 hours after the morning walk. This 2nd walk is always a min. of 40 minutes. With this walk we get 2 poops from both of the boys.

At one point we were trying to put a little weight on the boys and added an extra 1/4 cup of kibble to each of their 2 daily meals. This worked well with Jeff, but for Walter, it just meant that the 2 minute tinkle trip was also a chance to poop. In fact, he started to poop at every trip out the door. This was not good. For now we work from home, but it won't always be like this and we didn't want to risk any accidents. So, we walked that extra 1/4 cup of food back for him and he's back to only the morning and evening poop. (I traded the 1/4 cup at meal time, to a few treats before the evening walk with no add'l poops!)

John and I are firm believers in the long walk - good for the pooping and good for the sleeping. Win-win.

Good luck!

Any updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elaina -

I just saw this post about Vivie. I am so sorry you are having trouble with her. :( When she lived here as a foster, I had a doggy door and she was 100% housetrained to the doggy door. I know she moved to a different foster home about 3 weeks or a month before you adopted her, and they had cats so I presume they didn't have a dog door and thought she would have had her housetraining finalized there.

If I were you I would start crating her till she's reliably housetrained again. She never minded going in the crate, and would stay in there with no fuss. If you don't have a crate, I'm sure the adoption group has one they can loan you - if not I can surely find one that you can borrow, or you can pick one up at Canine Commissary for not too much.

I agree with the previous posters, though, that she needs a walk or turn-out after eating breakfast. Sometimes eating seems to stimulate the GI tract and get things moving, so they won't poop till after they eat. I think Vivie was one of the girls that only peed when we first went out in the morning.

If you think she's doing something at night, then baby gate the bedroom to keep her in with you, that way she can't sneak off to pee or poop somewhere in the night.

Good luck, and feel free to PM for any help or just to commiserate :)

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin