Flea Eggs?

Well, Opie, being a black dog, has some white dandruff type stuff sometimes, but lately I have been noticing these little black pebbly type things stuck on his fur near his hind end. I took him outside, and brushed him out last week. And now they are back. And this AM, I actually saw a bug crawling on his back, small, a flea I am sure. So are these black things flea eggs? I am thinking yes??? I also have noticed a few bites on me too, but I attributed those to the fact that we clean peoples houses who have pets that go outside. Ewwwww!

This is quite a surprise to me, as I really have never had a problem with fleas on my dogs here in Washington, since I moved here in 1996. So this is all new to me. So now do I flea bathe him and then start with one of the Advantage or something?

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I have been noticing these little black pebbly type things stuck on his fur near his hind end.

Sounds like "flea dirt" to me. Google "flea dirt on dogs" and you'll see lots of images to see if this is what you're seeing.

Guest Energy11

Yep... sounds like flea eggs to me. UGH!

I swear by Adams Flea and Tick Mist (*you can actually get it Wal-mart). You could get the spray, spray him down, rub it in, and then comb or brush the hair, to get rid of the eggs. You should also wash and/or spray the bedding.

Good Luck. Frontline Plus and Advantage are good products, but a lot of fleas are resistant to them, from what I am reading. Good Luck!

Actually, if it is "flea dirt", it's not eggs.

Flea dirt is "actually the flea feces, composed mainly of the blood meal ingested by the flea from your pet. The blood is dried out, giving it a black, crackly appearance and texture." (taken from this link: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/veterinaryqa/f/fleadirt.htm)

But, yes, if you've got flea dirt, you've got fleas and need to treat for them.