Is It Possible To Play Too Hard?

Guest greydreams

Guest greydreams

The last few day Al has really been playing a lot and HARD. He gets almost like a maniac, or crazy, throwing his toys, play bowing, banging off the walls. I feel I may have to pad the edges of the furniture so he doesn't hurt himself. Maybe I need to walk him more, get that energy off him. He gets just crazy for about 20 minutes and then it's over. I kind of had to bring him down a couple times because I thought he was too wild. Is this normal? It is quite a change from the first couple weeks he was here, he was pretty quiet. He seems happy, not sick or anything, that's not my worry, just very exuberant when playing. Just wondering if it can go too far and turn into redirected something or another. Maybe it's just Al, whatever he does, from sleep, to eat to play, he puts his whole heart into it. Oh, he just turned 2 so maybe he's kind of a silly puppy yet. Just want to make sure if it is something I need to watch or not.

It does sound as if he'd welcome more exercise. Now he's two he's no longer exactly a silly puppy but definitely a young dog in the prime of his health and strength... So more walks would be good, and do you have anywhere you could could play outside games that would get him running? Doc, now a mature eight years old, still loves silly games. Some ideas that work for us: hide and seek (me hiding behind the trees in the park), greyhound catch (requires 2 people, each with treats, taking it in turn to call him over), throwing a fluffy toy for him to chase and 'course' like a hare. I've also seen mention on this forum of lure poles, which are like fishing rods with a fluffy toy dangling from the end.

Even with more exercise he will probably still have daily 'mad moments', I think those are a greyhound thing, but hopefully they will be less manic. I find with Doc they are easy to predict as they tend to be at the same times of day (always after breakfast, often after dinner) or set off by me or a visitor coming in. And even when he first arrived, as a big energetic four year old, I was actually impressed by how quickly he learnt to run riot round my small house WITHOUT bumping into stuff. If you don't move furniture round they soon work out the best routes round it!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Swifthounds

I'd suggest more exercise (walk-wise), some play training in the yard or in an enclosed area (even in the house if you have room), and some free running. Young adult greyhounds are in the physical prime of their lives. When my seniors were young dogs, we did all of the above and I got up before sunrise to be at the enclosed field at the park by sunrise when it opened (so they could have free running without other dogs) 2 or 3 times per week. It was a 40 minute drive at the time (gas was cheaper) but it was well worth it.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Sounds to me like your boy is getting comfortable in his forever home. If you have a fenced yard and you are worrying about him damaging something in the house, then I would simply see what his trigger is (time of day, certain toy, just finishing a potty break), and take him outside and get him going. Personally I don't see any problems with him playing. Lots of people here cherish the times when their greyhounds go "nutz", its very endearing.

2 yr. olds can have LOTS of energy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Enjoy his happiness and maybe walk him a little longer. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greydreams

It really is fun to watch him play with so much abandon! He sure has fun, and it is so fun to watch him. I took most of all that could hurt him out of the living room, there is just one cabinet with sharp edges on it, I think I'll be moving that today. Yes, sounds like he needs to go out side and play more, I will try that, take a toy or two outside with him. He has plenty of room out back to play in! Maybe a longer walk too. Thanks for reassuring me! I wish I had a video camera to show you guys how goofy he gets.

2 years old is still a baby, so run that dog!!!

teach him how to play soccer, go after tennis balls and catch frisbees. they love it and it tuckers them out for a while. obedience training really mentally exhausts them as well and focusing on well behaved walking helps a tad. but when i return from a 4 mile walk w/ felix he is always ready for a game of soccer. at age 2 we ran him, walked him, played ball and then had a good tired hound hanging out. watch out for flying bones, i have almost had a window broken by one!!! so, start collecting balls and get that dog running and do enjoy every second of it. they are only young once! he loves diging in the snow looking for their lost tennis balls

Guest SaddleWags

Edie came to us at 17 months. I think there's a huge difference going from 2 to 3 and up. She's got sooo much energy. We hope she stays that way.

We walk our pups almost an hour daily. But that's still not enough for her.

To wear her out, once a week we take her to a local church that has a huge fenced in field. She loves "tuff" squeekies. She loves to chase them. She's even starting to get the idea of bringing the squeeky back.

Sometimes I get worried - she runs so hard for so long I think she'll pass out, because she can't catch her breath.

Hopefully you have something like this in your area. Take advantage of it.

We saw the same thing with Ringo. We adopted the Florida boy to Phila right after Thanksgiving last year. I have to admit I was a little disappointed that he didn't seem to want to play in our newly fenced backyard. Nor was he especially playful inside. Well, within a couple of weeks, his morining routine included a vigorour romp in the family room before breakfast (not unlike how you described Al.) The backyard continued to hold little interest for him until March/April. The milder weather was just the ticket. Soon the evening routine, when I got home from work, included a mandatory (Ringo wouldn't let me relax until I took him out back) session of frisbee fetch (or rather keep-away.)

Seeing that you're in balmy Minnesotalol.gif, your pup might prefer to wait till spring too if he's not used to the cold.

It's one I posted in the fall, (but I couldn't resist the opportunity to share again) of Ringo having a blast in the leaf pile.

th_RingoLeaves_0001.jpg

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Guest PiagetsMom

My Mirage does this, and he's 6 yrs old. It usually starts with stuffy play, and his excitement escalates when Piaget gets involved and begins barking at him. He'll throw his toy around the room, banking off of sofas and then ends up doing his circle zoomies - looks kind of like a bucking horse going around in circles, until he's so dizzy he has a hard time standing up. blink.gif I'm afraid he'll fall into an end table, so I usually try to stop him before he's too far gone, but I kind of feel bad about it because he's having such a good time! lol.gif