Arthritis Pain Management

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Guest Lovey_Hounds

We are having issues with some arthritis and soreness and we want to have something around to help D.C with the pain mamagement when she needs it. She has and old hock break that was fixed up really well when she was younger but she is now having issues with it being sore and weak somedays. she is really bad at running across the kitchen and slipping and running up and down the stairs and i have done EVERYTHING to try to stop her but i cant, so we are looking into helping her with some pain management.

We have tried Tramadol 50mg and that has worked well but we are out and our vet suggested a few other options like metacam and rimadyl, my other issue is she has some thyroid issues and i dont want the meds to affect her too much.

i would like some peoples thoughts on what they have found worked well with out over drugging her.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Guest Energy11

My Goldie was diagnosed with pretty bad arthritis today. I use Deramaxx, 37.5 mg/daily, and the vet just gave me Dasuquin. It is a good arthritis supplement. I feel that Deramaxx or Rimadyl is better than Tramadol, as they have anti-flammatory properties. Good Luck! We know how it is!

I've been using Dasuquin for Raven with good results. You give a double dose for the first few weeks, then cut back to a maintenance dose. She used to do this exaggerated bunny hop around the yard when she tried to run, and now she hardly even limps.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I am taking my girl Peace to the vet tomorrow, she is limping again, its on and off every couple months. So far the vet has not found a think wrong, which is good, but I want her to have some relief.

Rimadyl worked really well for my mixed breed (Deramaxx gave him explosive diarrhea). Deramaxx works great for my Greyhound's L.S. pain!

Key for helping an arthritic dog is something you don't think about often; exercise! Regular, gentle exercise is very important. Also a lean body and muscle tone.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Rimadyl worked really well for my mixed breed (Deramaxx gave him explosive diarrhea). Deramaxx works great for my Greyhound's L.S. pain!

Key for helping an arthritic dog is something you don't think about often; exercise! Regular, gentle exercise is very important. Also a lean body and muscle tone.

I know about the exercise thing, letting her muscle tone get flabby isnt going to help her one bit, and with her thyriod issue lean is easy she is a slender 74lbs at the moment. she was having a good day today and was out in the yard chasing the young dogs today 2 of them are pups (4 months old and 16 months old).

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Guest Swifthounds

Are you supplementing with fish oil, a good glucosamine, or condroitin? If not, I would look into at least the first two and maybe all three before moving on to pain meds as well. They can be used in conjunction with meds and can make a big overall difference in mobility and muscle tone.

Guest EmilyandSioux

We use Arthri Soothe Gold for the arthritis in this house. I have 5 dogs on of which is a grey. They all get it sprinkled into their food and get upset if it is not there. There is not a limp one in the house and we have 5 acres form them to run on. You can get in thru any online pet catalog.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

yes i am using both glucosamine and chondrotin and a omega 3 suppliment and dried sea kelp as suppliments and she has been on them for quite a while and they have done pretty well she is now 10 years old and this winter has been pretty hard on her.

when it comes to muscle tone she is really good she hasnt lost a lot in her old age, she plays with a very active 6 year old greyhound who courses and a 16 month old pup but the issue is she is not realizing her limits and pushes her self too hard and them suffers after. she is

not feeble by any means but she will go and go until she is sore and limping and swollen,her toes i know have some arthritis and i have seen swelling with some tenderness where the old hock break is. Yes i could try to stop her from running and playing but she is loosing her sight and i will let her run and play as much as she likes, and i will take care of her when she is done doing so.

Guest Swifthounds

yes i am using both glucosamine and chondrotin and a omega 3 suppliment and dried sea kelp as suppliments and she has been on them for quite a while and they have done pretty well she is now 10 years old and this winter has been pretty hard on her.

It may seem like a silly thing to suggest those since most people start with supplements and then move onto pain meds, but I have started asking that first. Seems a lot of folks notice arthritis and the vet just gives them pain meds without suggesting trying nutritional supplements (or worse, they think the dog is getting enough because the kibble includes it - in very low quantities). When I worked for a large vet practice, the vets there routinely suggested supplements before moving on to medications. That seems to not be the trend anymore.

I would be careful with the kelp and test thyroid function periodically. Too much iodine can give you thyroid problems.

when it comes to muscle tone she is really good she hasnt lost a lot in her old age, she plays with a very active 6 year old greyhound who courses and a 16 month old pup but the issue is she is not realizing her limits and pushes her self too hard and them suffers after. she is

not feeble by any means but she will go and go until she is sore and limping and swollen,her toes i know have some arthritis and i have seen swelling with some tenderness where the old hock break is. Yes i could try to stop her from running and playing but she is loosing her sight and i will let her run and play as much as she likes, and i will take care of her when she is done doing so.

My oldest three are 13, 12, and 10, so I know this situation all too well. My 10 year old can keep up with any of the youngsters, so much so that I sometimes have to remind myself (and her) that she's getting up there in years. My 12 year old still runs and spins despite having arthritis for the last 8 years or so and losing a fair amount of muscle tone over the years. My 13 year old has trouble standing for too long, but can still leap straight up in the air when he sees me (yep, all 4 paws in the air). It's a balancing act between keeping them from exceeding their limits, and encouraging them to be as active and happy as can be.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I do a lot of research before i give my dogs anything, even the kelp. we still are doing thyroids tests every couple of months just to keep track of anything. The kelp has showed us the most change in her, she was snarky and lethargic and generally ot fun to be around and since we started it she has changed back to the crazy old lady we know. I am careful about how much kelp i give my dogs right now we only give 1/2-3/4 teaspoon a day depending on the dog and how they are doing it does have funny side effects on some dogs it makes my 16 month old pee a lot so she doesnt get any.

I have a great vet who rather try the natural way before he drugs up an animal, we tried meds and kelp for the thyriod and the kelp did the best with her so he doesnt push the meds on me. he had told me about different options for pain relief for her and told me i could look them up and find out more and i am going back tomorrow to talk about them more.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

I used Metacam for Sugar's arthritis, and have started using it now for Fletcher. It works well for us. I also used Dasequin for Sugar after her arthritis got worse. I didn't start acupuncture until she started having problems with her spine (not arthritis), but I think it would have helped. Fletcher is also on thyroid meds.

Guest Swifthounds

You might want to have both an NSAID on hand and the Tramadol, as they work differently on pain and she might benefit more from one or the other at different times. Every vet has a favorite NSAID, based on where they buy, what reps they like, and the experiences they've had. I'm not the biggest fans of NSAIDs, and I don't know that I would do them on a constant basis, but intermittently when she has stressed herself or pulled something, the NSAIDs do good anti-inlammatory work. You can always ask for the CIS and MSDS on a few or google them. Last I checked the reported reactions that the FDA listed, etogesic had the lowest number of deaths associated, given its long history of use.

Tramadol is of course not an NSAID, but it can be very good at easing pain quickly and it has the added bonus of having mood elevating properties, which can be especially helpful when you've got a senior on the mend. The big caution is not to mix it with MAOIs, which usually only concerns dogs medicated for extreme sep anxiety, thunderphobia, etc.

Ali has been on 50mg. of Prednisone every other day for a couple of weeks now. It seems to be helping, until he races around the yard and starts limping again. He's also taking glucosamine supplements. I've noticed his toes on the sore leg splay when he walks. I'm taking him to the vet today to see if that indicates anything.

I've used Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime Inc. Mizzy had a badly broken hock that was not set (it's now fused) and they have helped her to the point she needs no pain meds. Since losing Eliza to rimadyl, I've not used a NSAID in any of the seniors and they have done well.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits