Crating Misbehavior - Escape, Bending, Peeing

Guest earlkattangrey

Guest earlkattangrey

Two cuties :wub:

Great job on the belly band! I have no sewing talent so I am impressed. :D You might need something more absorbent in there next to the fleece, like a maxi pad or something.

Check out this thread too: Collars And Tags Oh My- Don't Put Tags On The "D" Ring

Thanks for the info on the tags! I hadn't even thought about it, and his rescue tag was already on so I just added the ID tag to it. But now that you bring it up I can see what it's not a good idea.

re: the belly bands, my understanding is that for housebreaking it is the soggy band being uncomfortable that is part of what teaches them not to go with it on, and that the liners should be used i.e. for incontinent dogs as there is no training goal there, just a need to contain urine and keep the dog dry. No? (and I'm suspecting/hoping he won't go in it anyway, but we'll see).

So glad to hear things are improving, I am all for the belly band and I also use an xpen for one of my boys when I am gone, it works great. Your pups are adorable and it sounds like your new boy is in great hands.

Guest earlkattangrey

So glad to hear things are improving, I am all for the belly band and I also use an xpen for one of my boys when I am gone, it works great. Your pups are adorable and it sounds like your new boy is in great hands.

Thank you!!

Guest 2greygirls

I use a rolled leather collar for a tag collar for my boy, and a smaller leather collar for my girl..I don't want them to interfere with the martingale...I like the simplicity of the rolled leather.

Guest earlkattangrey

Just a quick update, Kattan has been free in the house with Meeve for the 8 hrs I am gone all week, with his belly band on. He has had no mistakes and has not wet the band. He is SO much happier and calmer when I get home!

And funnily enough, I can actually say the house I come home to is BETTER than it was before I left him out. I shut the door to my back bedroom because it's the coldest room in the house, and Meeve always opens it while I'm gone to get access to all the windows that look out to s-qs (that's squirrels to those uninitiated to Meeve's lexicon :P ). Kattan must be keeping her entertained because the door has stayed closed!

photo17.jpg

And even more ridiculous was that I almost stopped pursuing greyhound adoption because I thought a grey wouldn't bond with Meeve and vice versa! I also really wanted one that didn't need crating - never thought it'd happen so fast! What amazing dogs they are, I am still so in awe of him. :yay

Edited by earlkattangrey

That photo is priceless. Ya done good yay.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest PiagetsMom

Your pups are so sweet together :wub:

When we brought Piaget home, my DS and his lab-mix (Lucy, who looks a lot like your Meeve!) were living with us. Like you, I wasn't sure that I would be able to blend a grey into the mix, as Lucy was a very dominant personality. I was nervous when I finally brought Piaget home, but, they got along famously! Lucy was a great big sister - often letting Piaget pull her around the house by her collar, and they played together much better than Piaget does with her grey "brother", Mirage.

Glad to hear that things are going so much better for you and Kattan :)

Guest earlkattangrey

When we brought Piaget home, my DS and his lab-mix (Lucy, who looks a lot like your Meeve!) were living with us. Like you, I wasn't sure that I would be able to blend a grey into the mix, as Lucy was a very dominant personality. I was nervous when I finally brought Piaget home, but, they got along famously! Lucy was a great big sister - often letting Piaget pull her around the house by her collar, and they played together much better than Piaget does with her grey "brother", Mirage.

Thank you guys! Meeve has had doggie roommies for much of her life, but no greys. She is definitely an alpha and has never really been a cuddler unless you are actively rubbing, scratching or massaging her. However, she is more tolerant, patient, and touchy-feely with him than any other dog she's met! He just wants to be near her and is always trying to lay some part of himself on or near her - so adorable. It's my dream scenario, really, I feel so so lucky :confetti

*Ok must stop gloating about my good fortune before I jinx myself :)*

Edited by earlkattangrey