Flea Treatment

tydyelady, you'll want to treat your house and maybe your yard, too. Get a couple cans of Knockout spray. For the house, I would pick up absolutely anything that can be washed, put it in a plastic bag, give it a good spray with Knockout, and close up the bag until you can wash it. Then spray everything that can't be washed -- carpets, upholstery, large dog beds, your mattress, etc. -- as directed on the can.

If you have a house where you can shut up one segment at a time, I'd first do the room you prefer to hang out in, then let it air, then shut the dog(s) and yourself in there until it's time to air out the rest of the house.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My friend used Comfortis, it was given to her dog at the vet's office at the end of the visit, with her Ridgeback and an hour later she was throwing up black bile. My friend poured her dog back into the car and she spent an afternoon at the vet's. It was completely due to the Comfortis. The vet had my friend call the company's consumer line to make a report, she said the person on the other end indicated that they were no strangers to reports such as hers. I'm a worry wart, so no Comfortis here.

I can probably find you a dog that has become violently ill and/or died on just about any drug on the market. If that's your yardstick for whether or not to use a drug, you're choices are going to be very limited.

You're probably right, but I'm a worry wart. I'm fine with limited choices on this one.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My friend used Comfortis, it was given to her dog at the vet's office at the end of the visit, with her Ridgeback and an hour later she was throwing up black bile. My friend poured her dog back into the car and she spent an afternoon at the vet's. It was completely due to the Comfortis. The vet had my friend call the company's consumer line to make a report, she said the person on the other end indicated that they were no strangers to reports such as hers. I'm a worry wart, so no Comfortis here.

I can probably find you a dog that has become violently ill and/or died on just about any drug on the market. If that's your yardstick for whether or not to use a drug, you're choices are going to be very limited.

You're probably right, but I'm a worry wart. I'm fine with limited choices on this one.

I'm with you on this one Connie, and although I have had no personal experience with such products, 2 Ca. vets and 2 OSU vets say don't use it on sight hounds.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

So far so good. I did as the vet suggested, 1/2 last night and 1/2 this AM, in his food. No vomiting, was hungry this AM, and I have already combed dead fleas off this AM! WooHoo! Vacuumed again last night, washing more stuff, sprayed DH's music room carpet where Opie spends a lot of time, and let it air out. Sprayed dog beds and carpet around, washing covers again. Will vacuum again.

It appears he is tolerating the Comfortis well, no side effects, which from what I have read usually appear right away. I was told to go for 2 months to make sure all fleas are gone, then maybe wont have to use every month. Also, from what I have been reading, this has been around since 2007, at least, as I have found posts on the internet inquiring about using it since back to then. That's at least 3 years this has been around now.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I've been fortunate over the years and have not had to deal with fleas to often. I only treat the dogs and cats if I find a flea.I've used the capstar on both with no problems. I've never been a fan of any of the topical treatments but have used them as necessary. When I read about the Comfortis on this board I decided to try it when I detected a flea. I only needed to give one dose to my crew and thats been it for the fleas. They will not get another dose unless I see fleas. My two greys and one dobe exhibited no ill effects from this med. I gave their Iverhart Max two weeks later with no ill effects. I'm very pleased.