Flea Treatment

anyone heard of or used the flea pill Comfortis (spinosad). I use advantage but am looking for something elce? Just wondering if any one here knows about it or has used it.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Swifthounds

I don't usually need anything for fleas (though I live in a flea/tick/Lyme hotbed). If I were going to treat for fleas, I would use Advantage. Of all the treatments on the market, it works faster, and kills more fleas.

Even if Comfortis has an acceptable track record, for myself or my animals I'm never comfortable with something that needs to go through so many body systems to be effective only to treat something that isn't even in the body - too many places for things to go wrong. A pill has to pass into the GI tract and then be absorbed into the blood stream. While lots of medications do this (most of the ones we take, in fact), how many of those treatments are for external parasites?

Guest Energy11

Many greyhound adoption groups are saying NOT to use Comfortis.

I live in the woods, and we do have hotter summers. I use nothing but Adams Flea and Tick Mist, once a week, and I had no fleas last year.

Good Luck!

Guest KennelMom

We use it. LOVE IT. Works like a dreeeeeeam!! Won't use anything else. So much easier than the squirt on chemical types.

Why? Do they also not use Capstar?

Guest Energy11

We use it. LOVE IT. Works like a dreeeeeeam!! Won't use anything else. So much easier than the squirt on chemical types.

Why? Do they also not use Capstar?

Yes, they do use Capstar. Their "theory" behind not using it is, it is new to the market, and they don't know it's effects yet. I AM glad to hear it works well for you, and will pass this info. on. I have no experience with it myself.

We used it for one summer after a non stop battle with fleas. She was completly covered in them and losing weight, nothing worked except for Capstar and Comfortis. This last summer we didn't need to use it. I don't know if the fleas weren't bad or if having taken the medicine previously but it has worked great for us

I have never had to use these type products because of living here in the desert, but I have always been told to not use this for sighthounds.

Have been told this by a few vets as well. Can damage the liver if I remember correctly

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I have never had to use these type products because of living here in the desert, but I have always been told to not use this for sighthounds.

Have been told this by a few vets as well. Can damage the liver if I remember correctly

Liver damage is one of the possible side effects of Comfortis. I think Ducky's girl was on it, and we thought it was what helped cause her liver problems.

I did email one of the old adoption groups I used to be with, and the director said, "No Comfortis, and No Promeris!" ... I guess it is up the person. I'd rather stay with Adams Flea and Tick Mist.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

We used to use it--I will say you have to give it with meals. . .something about needing a certain amount of fat at the same time to make it last a full month???

Anyway, the size of the pill (for dogs of greyhound size) is ENORMOUS and my divas aren't thrilled with eating icky medicine. Not cheese, not peanut butter, not even those icky greeny pill pockets worked in the end. So we're back to the greasy nasty liquid stuff. But here in East Texas fleas are an issue much of the year. So whathcha gonna do?

Guest KennelMom

Liver damage is one of the possible side effects of Comfortis. I think Ducky's girl was on it, and we thought it was what helped cause her liver problems.

I did email one of the old adoption groups I used to be with, and the director said, "No Comfortis, and No Promeris!" ... I guess it is up the person. I'd rather stay with Adams Flea and Tick Mist.

Liver damage can be a side effect of just about ANY medication since the liver is pretty much the filter of the body.

I use what works and still have perfect bloodwork in my crew. Fleas here pretty much laugh at anything else.

Liver damage can be a side effect of just about ANY medication since the liver is pretty much the filter of the body.

I use what works and still have perfect bloodwork in my crew. Fleas here pretty much laugh at anything else.

You're right about meds and the liver, and if the product works for you, that's great and what counts for you.

But when more than one vet in a practice of sighthounds tells me no, I am confident enough not to use it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I think which meds one uses for fleas, or whatever, is their choice, for sure. ME? I choose to use old tried and true, Adams. I am lucky, I guess, to have had such GREAT results from it.

I started using Comfortis for mine when nothing else worked. I live in Florida, and like Heather said, the fleas pretty much laughed at Advantage and Frontline.

My vet recommended it when nothing else was working. She uses it for her Iggy.

I do give it with meals. I have also found that half a pill is working just as well as the full dose....at least it has so far.

Guest Energy11

I started using Comfortis for mine when nothing else worked. I live in Florida, and like Heather said, the fleas pretty much laughed at Advantage and Frontline.

My vet recommended it when nothing else was working. She uses it for her Iggy.

I do give it with meals. I have also found that half a pill is working just as well as the full dose....at least it has so far.

It IS a struggle, especially in Florida, I know. Used to live there. The fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline Plus and Advantage.

thanks all for the replys. The main reason I am looking for a new flea treatment is everytime I give them advantage they have an odd almost like moss smell to their breath for at least 3 days. I thought it was just me but I put advantage on my friends Bassett and he too had the same reaction. I was just trying to find something to use that was less chemical.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Swifthounds

thanks all for the replys. The main reason I am looking for a new flea treatment is everytime I give them advantage they have an odd almost like moss smell to their breath for at least 3 days. I thought it was just me but I put advantage on my friends Bassett and he too had the same reaction. I was just trying to find something to use that was less chemical.

If less chemical is what you're going for, then Comfortis isn't really what you're looking for. There are lots of natural things you can do to treat fleas that don't involve a pill or a spot-on.

Guest mcsheltie

Be aware that you should not use Ivermectin & Comfortis together. If you Google it you will find umpteen drug reaction reports.

Comfortis does work.

Be aware that you should not use Ivermectin & Comfortis together. If you Google it you will find umpteen drug reaction reports.

Comfortis does work.

I try to give my Heartgard and Comfortis 2 weeks apart.

Guest KreweOfRoo

I have been using comfortis for about 20 months now. Frontline Plus and all other spot on treatments just were not working anymore. Where I live, we have a constant barrage of coyotes that just keep bringing the darn fleas. Although, I don't use the full dose size of Comfortis, I use the size lower than what they need, since the hounds do not have the body fat of other dogs, on them. So far so good and my flea allergic pup has never been happier. I agree, you do have to give it to them will a full meal, but I get an average of 45-50 days per dose. I also medicate 2 weeks before/after using Interceptor. Wish I could go back to a simple life of just spraying, but not for now...it is Comfortis and Diatomaceous Earth for the yard.

My friend used Comfortis, it was given to her dog at the vet's office at the end of the visit, with her Ridgeback and an hour later she was throwing up black bile. My friend poured her dog back into the car and she spent an afternoon at the vet's. It was completely due to the Comfortis. The vet had my friend call the company's consumer line to make a report, she said the person on the other end indicated that they were no strangers to reports such as hers. I'm a worry wart, so no Comfortis here.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest KennelMom

Comfortis does work.

That's not accurate either. Ivermectin given at the normal dose for HW prevention is fine. It's only the super high doses used for treating skin conditions that there have been some interactions.

My friend used Comfortis, it was given to her dog at the vet's office at the end of the visit, with her Ridgeback and an hour later she was throwing up black bile. My friend poured her dog back into the car and she spent an afternoon at the vet's. It was completely due to the Comfortis. The vet had my friend call the company's consumer line to make a report, she said the person on the other end indicated that they were no strangers to reports such as hers. I'm a worry wart, so no Comfortis here.

I can probably find you a dog that has become violently ill and/or died on just about any drug on the market. If that's your yardstick for whether or not to use a drug, you're choices are going to be very limited.

My friend used Comfortis, it was given to her dog at the vet's office at the end of the visit

It is recommended to always give Comfortis with a full meal. I can't believe her vet would give it without food.

I've been using it for about a year with no issues. I always give with a meal, though.

My mom starting using it for her dachsunds, who are free-fed, and she has experienced some vomiting. But, I think it's because it's hard to get her dogs to eat enough to keep them from getting upset tummies.

I started another topic here about fleas on Opie and what was the black coffee ground like stuff I was combing out of his fur - yes, I now know flea poop. After vacuuming, spraying, washing blankets and beds, and flea bathing the dog 2 days ago, he is once again covered with the black things (and fleas). I found fleas on the couch cover too. So it must be bad here. I just took him to our vet, and she recommended the Comfortis - uses it on her great dane. (She has also owned sighthounds) She specifically told me to give it with a meal, and to further prevent possible tummy upsets to break it up and give 1/2 the pill with tonights dinner, and the other half with tomorrow's breakfast. So I will be trying it and will let everyone know how it goes. I have never had a flea infestation this bad (weather has been warm here since end of December), and I am getting bit up too. Poor baby is just covered with poop and fleas.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12