Porphyromonas Baccine

Guest dmona

Has anyone had any experience with this vaccine for prevention of periodontitis? This was recommended to keep my pupper from having to have dentals so often? He is scheduled in a couple of weeks and his last one was 10 months ago and probably could have been done again sooner.

I haven't dealt with the vaccine, myself, but it got pretty bad reviews here on GT, if I am not mistaking. Maybe some of the others will chime in.

Thanks so much for this info....went back and read previous posts, don't think we'll be getting this shot. I probably read this before, but until I actually have the situation, it doesn't stick with me. Thanks again.

Dianne

I haven't dealt with the vaccine, myself, but it got pretty bad reviews here on GT, if I am not mistaking. Maybe some of the others will chime in.

Thanks so much for this info....went back and read previous posts, don't think we'll be getting this shot. I probably read this before, but until I actually have the situation, it doesn't stick with me. Thanks again.

Dianne

You may have read my post about Gracie's experience. She was OK with the first injection. The second one given two weeks later is the one she reacted to. I never, ever, want to see a dog in that much pain again, let alone the swelling she had at the injection site.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest eaglflyt

Our girl had a very unfortunate and severe reaction to this vaccine. You can read about it HERE. However, our adoption group routinely gives the vaccine to all hounds when they are vetted. Ady Bea will not get this vaccine again since she had this reaction, but each person should make their own best decision for their dog.

We didn't know it at the time, but this was Ady Bea's 2nd exposure to this vaccine. She apparently did fine when she got the vaccine the first time.

We now regularly brush her teeth with Petzlife Oral Care Gel (with the salmon oil) and it is doing a great job.

Guest 4dogscrazy

No vaccine experience, but I give mine buffalo intestines, they are dried and twisted into a rope (eww) that our kennel sells. I could NOT believe how much plaque and tarter came off their teeth after one of those! I regualarly give them once a month around here and it has helped immensely. I have also read that people give chicken and turkey necks (raw of course) to help their teeth. Mine gulp those down too fast to do any real help, plus those are outside treats and it's the dead of winter here in PA. The buffalo sticks don't stink nearly as much as you would think. Unfortunatly I don't know the name, but they are along the line of "organic, no additive, no food coloring treats. Never saw them in a petco, but maybe a "fancy" pet store might have them. It takes them about 20 minutes to finish the long stick and they love them. Before I did that, all 3 houndies needed dentals, two have improved so much I've put them off indefinately. One is sitting on the back burner to wait to see if I can get some improvement, she has really bad teeth and chewing issues. Our group is also having a lady come who does the dental with a laser, no anestetic (spell?) I think her info is on the site www.nittanygreys.org. Hope this helps!

Our girl had a very unfortunate and severe reaction to this vaccine. You can read about it HERE. However, our adoption group routinely gives the vaccine to all hounds when they are vetted. Ady Bea will not get this vaccine again since she had this reaction, but each person should make their own best decision for their dog.

We didn't know it at the time, but this was Ady Bea's 2nd exposure to this vaccine. She apparently did fine when she got the vaccine the first time.

We now regularly brush her teeth with Petzlife Oral Care Gel (with the salmon oil) and it is doing a great job.

Yes, this is the info. I read....where do you get the oral gel. Even my vet told me these injections had not been 100% approved and that additional studies are in progress.

Thanks so much for sharing...I think we have made our decision.

I would never give my greys the vaccine. I try to be as natural as possible by brushing their teeth with doggie toothpaste and following that with Petzlife Oral Gel. I tried the spray, but my greys get upset with the psst noise of it (very sensitive personalities here), but have no problem with the gel. If you google Petzlife Oral Gel, you will find that lots of places sell it. You can even go to their website to read about the product. I think I saw it at Petsmart, as well as my local feed store - but you should check for the best prices. It can be pricey, but I think it is worth it. It lasts a long time.

My vet, did NOT recommend it, said she did not feel it has been proven enough, told me to buy a sonic toothbrush and brush his teeth, I also use bully sticks, both have helped so he has not needed another dental Good Luck :)

Guest eaglflyt

Yes, this is the info. I read....where do you get the oral gel. Even my vet told me these injections had not been 100% approved and that additional studies are in progress.

Thanks so much for sharing...I think we have made our decision.

I order the Petzlife Oral Care Gel from HERE. Revival Animal Health has the best price I have found and they have fast and excellent service.

Bully sitck, is "stick type chew product" to help with teeth cleaning, and in my house to keep my GSP busy for a short time :lol Get on a web site Best Bully and check them out they are made from bull's penis, O.k. ;) yucky I know, but cheaper than a dental. I give them a few times a week to my whole pack, I buy the long "canes" and Dh cuts them in 6 inch pieces, cheaper that way :colgate

Edited by kydie