Took The Dogs Out For A Run At The Ballfield

Well, we took them out for a run because the snow has melted and it was warm, in the upper 30's. They had a blast. As a matter of fact, we had no idea anything was wrong until we were leaving. I noticed that there was blood in the snow as we left. We looked all the dogs over and couldn't find the culprit. As we went to the car we had to go through a bit of deep snow. Dawn, our almost 9 year old, fell. She continued on as if she was fine. We didn't know she wasn't fine until we got to my mom's house. Then we noticed that she was limping. It has gotten worse but she doesn't react as I rub and work her joints. I am so worried that I am beside myself! I have cried and worried about this but I simply cannot afford to take her to the e-vet. When we got in the van, I found the bleeder. Ziggy's paw was cut. The top pad has been cut. I put pressure on it and got it to stop. Dawson is also limping worse. He always has a limp, that is why he was returned to our group.

I am sorry that I am going on and on. I am just so worried. I am sitting here crying as I type this. I am so worried about my old girl! Please pray for her. If she isn't better by Monday, I'll take her to our vet.

Believe me, I understand your concern! I have been there!

Sounds to me like your course of action is right. Take care of the bleeder, treat with antibiotic ointment, and he should be okay (keep a close eye on it, of course).

As for the limpers, I am with you - wait and see. Unless it gets worse, or does not get better, you can probably wait.

My girl often hurts herself on the first good run of the spring, too. A couple years ago, it was a dewclaw. She tore and dislocated it, so we made an appointment for Monday the following week, and had her dewclaws removed, as well as a dental. Poor girl was painful over the weekend. Thankfully, I muzzled her to changed the bandage, or she'd have bitten me! She has never reacted like that before or since, rather she is VERY stoic, and would NEVER hurt a human. So I know she had to be hurting badly!

Good luck!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Ditto what Sarah said.

Treat the bleeder at home, and monitor. If it's not too deep, then it should heal up just fine in a matter of days. Keep an eye on it for swelling or any infection signs.

For the limping one, just keep an eye on them. These older pups can easily wretch a join when they fall or even play.

Miss Echo has done that many a time. In that case, keep an eye out for increasing lameness and lots of swelling.

Sending healing thoughts.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

The wet grass causes them to wipe out. Been there, done that. Keep her quiet for a day or 2 and unless it get's worse, just keep an eye on until Monday. Hope they are both ok.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sounds like a little "weekend warrior" syndrome; because they were having so much fun, they probably overdid it a little. I agree, keep an eye on them and if nobody gets worse, it's OK to wait and see. Keep the cut paw pad clean and dry, you can use a baby sock in the house and put a plastic bag over it for potty trips.

I agree with the others. A limp is not an e-vet occasion unless the dog seems to be in extreme pain. Don't feel at all guilty about not rushing her to the vet.

Sometimes it helps to put perspective on the dogs' injuries if you look at what you'd do for yourself in the same situation. You'd do something to stop bleeding, and if the bleeding didn't stop, you'd head for the ER or an urgent care place. Limping? You'd stay off the foot as much as possible and rest it a day or more before you took yourself to the doctor.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sorry your pups fun-run is causing them some pain. Hopefully it's nothing serious. As for the cut pad - try superglue. Someone in our group had that happen, and the vet used a superglue and wrap on it. Perhaps just a sock to keep him from licking or chewing it, and a plastic baggy when going out to keep it dry would work.

Hopefully the limping is only due to over-exertion and/or a little arthritis. I think they could have an aspirin twice a day to help the pain. Hope all feel better tomorrow.

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest Energy11

Everyone has wonderful advice. I hope they are both feeling better today. It is muddy, slippery, etc. everywhere, and hard to keep them from getting injured. Good Luck and lots of prayers!

Guest KennelMom

our dogs can experience the same moans, groans, pain and soreness that befalls human 'weekend warriors'...as we come out of winter into the warmer spring months, many of us will want to get ourselves and our hounds out to stretch legs and burn off some cabin fever energy...just do so with caution and preperation!

A really good warm up walk/jog is good for hounds that have been spending most of their time on the sofas...warming up their toes, legs, and muscles/ligaments/tendons used to power exercise (and do things like maintain balance) can be key in injury prevention. Don't just unclip the leash at the ballpark!

Limps don't need to be seen by the e-vet anymore than a minor limp on a human needs to go to the ER. Now, non-stop screaming in pain, dangling limbs that are obviously mis-aligned...now you're talking e-vet time. If the torn pad has stopped bleeding, leave it be and let the dogs body take care of healing it. If it's a pad that they put pressure on when the walk (not sure if you meant they cut their stopper pad or the big pad on the bottom of the foot), then I would leash walk for a couple days. If it's just the stopper pad, you may need to loosely wrap a little vet wrap around it to keep it from getting snagged on things like blankets.

Sounds like your crew just has the to-be-expected minor "injuries" that come from vigorous exercise. I'm sure they will be feeling better soon.

Guest Energy11

We have a large fenced in yard , we found to stop the injurys we let them out one at a time , except the old ones they dont run anymore they just trot.

This is basically what we do. Ours are all 8-almost 10, and I don't allow them to run together. We walk daily on the grounds, though.

Well, today she is much better! She still has a little limp but nothing like yesterday. She would not even consider letting the boys be in the lead on our walkies. Did I mention that she is the alpha dog? She is the littlest and the only female. The boys don't care that she bosses them around either. :colgate Ziggy's paw has not bled since I got it stopped yesterday. They slept all evening. Next time, we will take a pretty long walk before we let them run. Maybe that will keep her from getting hurt again. She must have pulled a muscle. She is chasing the evil kitty away from her food bowl and playing a bit with her toys.

I AM ELATED! Thanks everyone for listening to my panicking rant. :blush

Edited because I am not sure how to spell panic-ing. I can't get spell check to work. Sorry if it is misspelled!

Edited by Dawnnziggy

Guest FullMetalFrank

Glad they are feeling better today. I am posting a link to a site that has a good basic stretching routine for dogs (it's a police K9 site but it shows good photos of some basic stretches and explains warm up and cool down.) Like Heather said, it's not a bad idea to go thru some of these stretches before your dogs will be doing a lot of running and playing. Also make sure the nails are short enough that toes won't get twisted when they dig in for traction. We always go over Chelsa before lure coursing practices and events to make sure she is sound, well stretched out, and warmed up. While playtime isn't as extreme as coursing, they can decide to get competitive and really pour on the speed! Chelsa has had more a$$-over-teakettle episodes playing at the ballfield than lure coursing; that girl has come in from playing with grass stains all down one side. Little female; and quite a "tomboy!"

Oh, here's the linky: http://www.cpwda.com/article_7_stretching.htm

as kennel mom said," Limps don't need to be seen by the e-vet anymore than a minor limp on a human needs to go to the ER. Now, non-stop screaming in pain, dangling limbs that are obviously mis-aligned...now you're talking e-vet time. If the torn pad has stopped bleeding, leave it be and let the dogs body take care of healing it. If it's a pad that they put pressure on when the walk (not sure if you meant they cut their stopper pad or the big pad on the bottom of the foot), then I would leash walk for a couple days. If it's just the stopper pad, you may need to loosely wrap a little vet wrap around it to keep it from getting snagged on things like blankets."

excellent advise for EVERYONE! pads take 2 weeks to heal if they are stitched or left alone, so just keep it clean and covered. i irrigate the cut w/ saline solution daily, it promotes healing and is CHEAP....salt & water boiled then cooled. btw those stop pads seem to grow back and fill out, my pup has ripped his sooooo many times i can't begin to count and it looks pretty normal now.