What Am I Missing ?

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest 3greysinPA

yesterday when i came home from work... i found poor Figgy in his crate trying to sit towards one side of his crate... he had diarrhea while we were at work.. part was diarrhea and other part formed stool... Gave him Immodium at 3pm and Pepto Bismol at 9pm.. No other noted loose stools...

Came home from work today at 3:30... found Figgy in the same predicament... and Now Lilly too.

Did Not Change Food.. Did not change routines... No changes with stress levels here...

When they go in the yard.. they all wear muzzles with stool guards...

So,,

any suggestions please....

My house is losing comforters and blankets faster than we can buy them.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like they all picked up something, either viral or bacterial. Being ALL of them have it, you might want to drop some stool samples at the vet. Could be a parasite too. I can ONLY imagine!

Good Luck!

Guest mcsheltie

If you haven't been anywhere to pick up giardia... etc... it could be a bug. Unfortunately that has to run it's course. We got hit by a Big D bug late last year. All but Breeze got it and each dog had it for three days.

Have you opened a new bag of food lately? I've had D from new bags on occasion.

I'm not a fan of Imodium. There is a reason for the diarrhea and slowing things down lengthens the time it takes the GI tract to rid itself of whatever is bothering it. I like to skip a meal (sometimes fast for a day) and give Pepto.

I wouldn't give them the meds without knowing what they got. Their bodies atr trying to get rid of whatever it is, you don't want to plug that up. If it's still like that tomorrow, I'd bring them in with a sample of the poop. Bring both- you do not have to seperate it- they will be able to do a sample of it that way.

Hope they are back to normal quickly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 3greysinPA

Sounds like they all picked up something, either viral or bacterial. Being ALL of them have it, you might want to drop some stool samples at the vet. Could be a parasite too. I can ONLY imagine!

Good Luck!

Yep,, I am going to call my vet in the morning... and ask if we can just drop off some stool to have checked...

now i'm worried.

If you haven't been anywhere to pick up giardia... etc... it could be a bug. Unfortunately that has to run it's course. We got hit by a Big D bug late last year. All but Breeze got it and each dog had it for three days.

Have you opened a new bag of food lately? I've had D from new bags on occasion.

I'm not a fan of Imodium. There is a reason for the diarrhea and slowing things down lengthens the time it takes the GI tract to rid itself of whatever is bothering it. I like to skip a meal (sometimes fast for a day) and give Pepto.

How do the hounds get Giardia?

and ... nope.. same bag of food for the last 8 days...

I wouldn't give them the meds without knowing what they got. Their bodies atr trying to get rid of whatever it is, you don't want to plug that up. If it's still like that tomorrow, I'd bring them in with a sample of the poop. Bring both- you do not have to seperate it- they will be able to do a sample of it that way.

So, i will get samples of all poops... but not to seperate it?

I'm confused..why?

Thank you ... me too. :(

Did you just open a new bag of dog food?? Every now and then we get a bad bag of dog food.

Nope, same bag.

Guest mcsheltie

From other animal's poop. Not just dogs, wild life and cats too. Stepping where another animal has pooped and then licking their feet when they get back home is a common way. Drinking from contaminated puddles or streams is another. Giardia is hard to kill in the environment. Freezing winter weather doesn't kill it. So if you walk them they could get it from almost anywhere. But if they haven't been out of your yard in a while, it's not such a worry.

About the stool samples. They take a smear out of the sample. So you don't have to separate them. But I would because giardia, worms & coccidia don't always show up in stool samples even when they are there. So I would get each dog done. Better chance to find something. Try to get samples that are the least runny as possible. When they have full fledged Big D the bugs and critters don't show up as well.

Personally, if they aren't sick, temp is normal, they want to eat and are drinking. I would wait a day or two and see if it resolves on it's own. If it is viral it has to run it's course. Unless they are getting dehydrated. Then the vet would give them fluids. I am not advising you to do that... :) ...I am just saying that is what I would do.

I believe that giardia can actually survive in the soil for years (5?) and can be carried by raccoons and other wildlife, so keeping your dogs to your own backyard isn't necessarily a guarantee that they didn't get it there.

We had an explosive experience in our house, and both dogs went on medicine for worms and giardia. We also were keeping Monty in an X pen during the day and that was the time that we decided that maybe putting an old piece of carpet under his kennel would save our floor from the nastiness (towels and blankets were not enough, so it was great that we'd found someone selling pulled-up office carpet that we bought for $20 - well worth it to save the carpet in the livingroom!).

Good luck! We send our sympathies and wish them a speedy recovery.

We had a similar situation two years ago. Within one day of each other, our 3 greys had explosive diarrhea and seemed "off". I brought stool samples in for each one to rule out Giardia and placed them on a diet for two days of boiled ground turkey and rice. The vet felt they had picked up a virus (while out on their daily walks) and gave them each a prescription for Flagyl. This helped tremendously and they were back to normal in no time.

Hope all your pups are feeling better soon.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I would second the idea of dropping off a stool sample to your vet. Canned pure pumpkin added to meals can help firm up soft stools and relieve constipation if this is in fact just a stomach issue. Good luck!