Bursting With Pride

Guest Frankendog

Guest Frankendog

I had to share my huge breakthrough today with Frankie's training. We have had him since the end of September and I have taken my time with his training as he is a very sensitive boy and I figured he needed time to assimilate into a household first.

He had proven a smart but somewhat stubborn dog in our past training sessions as he could not be physically forced into doing anything he didn't want. I just mean you could not push his rear down to try to make him sit or his body down to make him lay down or you would face the GSOD. My sister convinced me to try clicker training him and she set me up with a few lessons.

Things have progressed very quickly since we started only last week. He easily picked up targeting objects with his nose, come, wait, and "go to your bed". I was still unsuccessful figuring out how to make him sit or lay down. He never lays anywhere but on a couch or his dog bed. So I thought I would work with him where he is physically comfortable doing these.

First I had him go to his bed. Then I crouched down beside him and asked him to "down" I would repeat the word every few seconds while holding a treat at ground level. I blocked his escape so he only had 2 choices, keep standing, or lay down. Once he laid down I clicked and treated. Every time we repeated this lesson, he laid down quicker than the last time. Finally after only 4 or 5 tries he laid down within seconds of me asking him. Same with the sit. He actually sits on his way to laying down so I just have to keep saying the word but stopping him with a treat before he goes all the way down.

His walks have been getting so much better also. He was freezing so many times it was just an unpleasant experience. Thanks to what I've learned about calm energy from Cesar Millan and quick corrections, we had a beautiful walk today, and our biggest victory was when a city bus drove right by us and he hardly flinched! A few weeks ago he was rearing up like a wild mustang thrashing about at the end of the leash!

:yay:yay

YAY FRANKIE!!!

That is a greyt story and very inspirational for new and exp. adopters! Greyt job!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mcsheltie

Inspirational for me too. There is a Greyhound Only class that is about an hour from here. I have been thinking about going. But keep putting it off til the next session. I always thought I was too impatient to do clicker training, but I think it will do it!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Guest Sunset123

Just a warning before you consider teaching the "shake" or "paw" command... Arrisa picked that one up SUPER quickly and loves it. It has become her default trick (she does it before I have a chance to give her a command) and takes every treat-opportunity to smack me with her big-ol' houndy paw. ;) She's so enthusiastic about it that she'll try to do both paws at once. :rolleyes:

Clicker training worked wonders for our non-grey puppy. I tried using it with Eli and... he's afraid of the clicker. When I click, he gets upset and tries to leave the room. :(

I'm glad it's working for your grey. We were able to make great progress with Daisy and the clicker. Keep up the good work. :)

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Clicker training worked wonders for our non-grey puppy. I tried using it with Eli and... he's afraid of the clicker. When I click, he gets upset and tries to leave the room. :(

If the clicker freaks him out, you might try using a retractable ball point pen. The click is MUCH softer. Another alternative is just to use a specific marking word like "Yes!" in place of the click. The training is the same, but you mark the correct behavior with your word instead of a click. Just be sure it's a word you don't use for anything else, or it can get confusing ;) .

What an awesome story! Good trainer, and good dog!

JedsMom, you can also use your voice instead of a clicker. Same word, same tone of voice every time, and treat. Has always worked for us.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

We LOVE clicker training with Ady Bea! Her basic obedience class was all clicker training, and our therapy dog classes have been all clicker based. Ady Bea LOVES seeing the clicker come out and she's a very happy girl! :D

HUGE Congratulations to Frankie and you on your clicker success!!! :banana

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Frankendog
Just a warning before you consider teaching the "shake" or "paw" command... Arrisa picked that one up SUPER quickly and loves it. It has become her default trick (she does it before I have a chance to give her a command) and takes every treat-opportunity to smack me with her big-ol' houndy paw. She's so enthusiastic about it that she'll try to do both paws at once.

Haha, actually I taught Frankie to shake a paw a couple of months ago. It took awhile but I came up with a method that worked. I did it while he was standing (because I hadn't yet taught him to sit). I would hold a treat in front of him and when he moved forward I grabbed the front paw that was closet to me when it left the ground and said "PAW!" and then gave him the treat and praised him. I did this so many times that he came to understand that I didn't actually need him to walk forward, but just to present me with his paw. He is a very quiet and delicate boy so he always presents his paw very gently, no need to worry about the 'paw smack' :lol

Clicker training worked wonders for our non-grey puppy. I tried using it with Eli and... he's afraid of the clicker. When I click, he gets upset and tries to leave the room.

My sister had this problem with her super sensitive horse so she just 'clucked' with her mouth. It ended up working out great for them, and she even has the benefit of not having to juggle treats and a clicker in her hands at the same time, and of course she is never without her clicker.

Edited by Frankendog