Socializing

I hope that you all can give me some good ideas as to the best way to socialize my sweet Tank. I usually try to take him to PetsMart at least once a week but the poor guy always seems to be terrified. Well maybe not terrified but scared. Pants, shakes and generally doesn't seem to sure of people. I'm just wondering if it might be better to enroll him in a obedience class to get him used to other people and pups. When ever we are there people are always excited to see him and want to pet him but to be honest it makes me a little nervous because I'm afraid that he might snap at someone. I've thought about letting people feed him treats but 1.) he is so nervous that he doesn't want to even eat treats sometimes and 2.) if you feed him a treat and try to pet him he turns his head as if to say "Thank you for the goodie but don't touch me." At home he is a very sweet dog and I want to show that sweet loving side to everyone I can. I've also thought of having him go to doggie daycare once a week so he can play with other dogs but I'm so afraid of a fight. (Sigh!) I really want everyone I see and meet to see the sweet, loveable goof that my Tank is. If there is a good book to read that might help I'd love a suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Guest Sunset123

I hope that you all can give me some good ideas as to the best way to socialize my sweet Tank. I usually try to take him to PetsMart at least once a week but the poor guy always seems to be terrified. Well maybe not terrified but scared. Pants, shakes and generally doesn't seem to sure of people. I'm just wondering if it might be better to enroll him in a obedience class to get him used to other people and pups. When ever we are there people are always excited to see him and want to pet him but to be honest it makes me a little nervous because I'm afraid that he might snap at someone. I've thought about letting people feed him treats but 1.) he is so nervous that he doesn't want to even eat treats sometimes and 2.) if you feed him a treat and try to pet him he turns his head as if to say "Thank you for the goodie but don't touch me." At home he is a very sweet dog and I want to show that sweet loving side to everyone I can. I've also thought of having him go to doggie daycare once a week so he can play with other dogs but I'm so afraid of a fight. (Sigh!) I really want everyone I see and meet to see the sweet, loveable goof that my Tank is. If there is a good book to read that might help I'd love a suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Check out the offerings at your local obedience schools, you might find something more tailored to your needs. This weekend Arrisa and I are starting a socialization program (to get used to other dogs, but it's meant to help dogs who are nervous with people, also) and even though we haven't had our first class I'm already feeling a reduction in that nervousness/anxiety that I believe you're feeling also. I think having a trainer who is there JUST to help you with this issue might be a big help.

You don't say how long Tank has been with you, but it's possible he might just be overwhelmed by the PetSmart store. If he's been with you only a matter of weeks or several months, he's still in the "settling in" phase, and needs some more time to make the HUGE adjustment that's gone on in his life.

I don't know about your PetSmart, but ours is an enormous, noisy, echo-y, frenetic, loud sort of place. Even my greys that are super social tend to be anxious when we go there. You need to find a place that's more low key and quieter to begin getting him used to being out and about.

See if you can find a greys-only walk or gathering in your area (contact your adoption group for ideas). Find some greyhound friends to invite over for a play date (muzzles everyone!). Walk him in quiet and safe neighborhoods.

Also, while you can never rule it out completely, unless your greyhound has given you evidence of aggression in the form of growling or snapping at people, I would not worry so much about it. Most greyhounds are comfortable around people. You may have to be more vigilant in social situations if Tank is not cat- or small dog-tolerant. Many greys go to doggy day care and do quite well. A well-supervised and well-run day care will not allow fights to develop. However, if Tank is overwhelmd at PetSmart he may feel the same way about day care - which are also usually extremely noisy and rambunctious places.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest fujiapple402

Where I live there was a black and white racer up for adoption named Tank, he was such a sweetie. Dont suppose it was the same one? that would be too funny! :)

Greysmom, thanks for the help! Tank has been with us just over a year. I do have to say he's not at all the same dog we brought home. To start with he would only walk by and you got one chance to pet him. Now he will come and stand in front of you while he gets neck scritches. I guess I never though of PetsMart being overwhelming. Duh! When I read what you wrote it kind of all clicked, no wonder the poor thing is scared. He is getting better but I think you might be right about finding a smaller place to start with. When he first came home we did get snapped at a couple of times but we found out that was due to an ear infection. Since then no problems.

As for play groups, I live about 2.5 hours away from my adoption agency and most of the play groups and other grey owners are about that far away also. I have been in touch with another greyt owner that lives 20 minutes from me but our weather has been so poopy we haven't been able to get the pups together yet. Hopefully it will dry out soon!!! We are both excited to get our boys together for some play time.

fujiapple402,

No Tank is not black and white but does fawn and white count? He's a very sweet boy and I'm so glad to have him. Now I just have to convince the DH to get another one. :lol