Affordable Kidney Diet?

Guest SusanP

Wizard is 9 1/2, has mild congestive heart failure, and his creatinine levels have been creeping up. He was in for his dental the other day (with multiple extractions) and his creatinin was 1.9mg/dL 0.5-1.8. (BUN 24 mg/dL 7-27) The vet said it could have been due to fasting for the dental, but she suggested it might also be time to start him on a kidney diet. I took home some canned KT, since he needs soft food for now, and he likes it--we had to hide from the other 3 dogs because they all wanted it too.

I'm trying to decide several things-- Is his creatinine level high for a greyhound? Will clearing up his dental infections (via those extractions) possibly bring the creat. level down? How soon would we see this, if so? What is an affordable kidney diet that is worth feeding? And then, what makes a kidney diet a kidney diet? Anything else I need to know?

This is an excellent site with tons of kidney information. The site is updated regularly as new info becomes available. In my opinion, since the kidney changes are already starting to affect his blood pressure, it is time to consider blood pressure meds. and diet changes.

You will get a ton of differing opinions here. I used the above site for guidance when making decisions for JD, our oldest 'Tzu who's early renal failure caused high blood pressure and in turn, the loss if an eye.

Good luck with whatever you do. I listened to four Doctors as I made decisions for JD. He had an internist, a holistic Vet, an Eye Vet and of course his regular Vet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greytbookert

Like Wendy, I highly recommend the dogaware site. There is so much information on there, don't get overwhelmed. It took me several reads to digest and process all the information when Mama was dx with kidney disease. Mama was much older, so our protocols were a little different. When we did go to a kidney diet, she preferred the Purina NF over the Hills formulation. I also supplemented with a home cooked kidney diet that can be found within the dogaware site.

Good luck and hugs to Wizard!

Numbers look normal to me -- creatinine very slightly elevated (which is normal for greyhounds -- mine are usually higher), BUN within normal range. Not sure why your vet would recommend kidney diet in that case.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would get more tests done like a urinalysis which would indicate whether protein is being excreted into the urine and whether the kidneys are able to concentrate urine. Make sure that you bring in a first catch of the day and get it mid-stream. Try and get a sterile container as urinary tract infections/irritations can also sometimes cause problems and they might be able to see whether this might be an issue in the urine sample.

While the dogaware site does provide tons of information - be wary of the source ... it does not appear that a vet or doctor is sponsoring this site. I would print out some pages and bring it to your vet and see what they say ......

Usually kidney diets strive to bring the % of total protein in the diet down and bring up the quality of the protein given. Phospherous content of food should also be watched.

the vet did say that since he was fasting and the dental was early morning, he might not have had much to drink, causing the elevated level. I think the vet has been concerned because his creat. level has risen a bit since he began taking enalapril a couple years ago. Since she told me this as they were bringing him to me after his dental/extractions, I just took a few cans of kidney diet to try and told her we'd talk about it in a few days when he goes back to get a couple staples out where they also removed a little growth. I think when I got we'll do more testing to be sure.

This is a new vet for us, but she fostered a greyhound for a time and seems aware of greyhound body differences.

I did give Wizard a large dinner of kibble, cottage cheese and egg the evening before.. could that have elevated the values? Could dental infection?

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

What were his values at the last couple tests?

If he's a bit dehydrated, yes, that will elevate the creatinine.

I honestly don't see what your vet is going on about. BUN is normal, creatinine is slightly elevated which is normal in greyhounds.

That said, enalapril can cause some kidney issues so if values have steadily risen over a couple of tests or have risen a lot since the last test, I'd probably recheck in 4-5 months. I wouldn't do anything now. Values are in normal range and you really don't expect them to be exactly the same from test to test.

Feeding a kidney diet to a dog who doesn't need it isn't a good idea. The basis of a kidney diet is reduced phosphorus, and the only real way to achieve that is to reduce protein. You don't want to reduce protein unless/until you have to -- you can get some issues from that, especially in an older dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know the exact values before, but she called them "borderline". I notice the printout she gave me with today's values seems to automatically divide and highlight for low, normal and high levels of everything. That makes me think it was designed with the typical dog in mind, and I am surprised that she didn't consider that a greyhound would be different. I won't make any changes til I'm sure it's time. Thanks for the insight.