Torbugesic

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

...used this pain med for Osteo? I used it when Marley was end stage cancer (Fibrosarcoma) and it kept him very comfortable. I've also used it on cats & horses over the years. Wondering if anyone else has used it.

I found this article.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

When Max was dying from Osteo, I just used Deramaxx and Tramadol, but Torb is a good drug, worth researching, and, yes, maybe using!

Edited by Energy11

Was used to sedate Batman for his FNA. He was stoned and sick to his stomach afterwards, and had the runs for a day or two as well. Not saying all dogs react that way, but it's not a drug I'd be eager to try again.

As my own vet said to me, when you are dealing with a terminal cancer and you're beyond the normal doses of commonly used drugs, you really need to think about what you are doing.

Hugs to anyone going through that thinking process.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I know Osteo is extremely painful. But when Marley was end stage he was in a lot of pain too. But I don't know how they would compare tho. Torb did a good job for him. This was nasty, we had a spay rip out her sutures, both inside & out (her innards were exposed). The vet gave us Tramadol first and it didn't touch her pain. He gave her Torb and it worked nicely. You could tell immediately when the Torb started to wear off. The vet tech in the link said often the sedation outlasts the analgesia. That hasn't been my experience. I wish I could try some for my knee & shoulder. Then I would know how it works!

Anyone else ever used it? On their dogs I mean :rolleyes:

Guest mcsheltie

Was used to sedate Batman for his FNA. He was stoned and sick to his stomach afterwards, and had the runs for a day or two as well. Not saying all dogs react that way, but it's not a drug I'd be eager to try again.

As my own vet said to me, when you are dealing with a terminal cancer and you're beyond the normal doses of commonly used drugs, you really need to think about what you are doing.

Hugs to anyone going through that thinking process.

I wouldn't want to go through what you did a second time (or the first time!) poor boy. Luckily we haven't had any problems in that regard.

Your vet gives good advice. I was thinking about when they first started limping. Not to prolong his life for my own selfish reasons. Although that is hard not to do too.

It is good to know that some dogs get along with Torb for pain relief. I'm glad you posted about your spay case because I have one here, Joseph, who doesn't react well to *tramadol* ......

Well, that was a fast, "Huh, gotta reconsider." :lol

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest multigrey

We have tried it off an on over the years with post-surgical cases. Finally decided it wasn't worth taking the chance that this was going to be another nauseated, sick dog. It didn't happen to all of them, but enough to make me think twice especially with all the other good drugs that are available.

I have never had a vet suggest it for an osteo dog though.....

My Tanner was on it for two weeks when he hurt his neck really badly.

He was very loopy but that was necessary.

He had no side effects other than being loopy.

But, the difference is that his use came to an end and he was ok, so it wasn't used long term

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest mcsheltie

It is good to know that some dogs get along with Torb for pain relief. I'm glad you posted about your spay case because I have one here, Joseph, who doesn't react well to *tramadol* ......

Well, that was a fast, "Huh, gotta reconsider." :lol

She was loving life while it was working. She tried to bite DH's face off without it. We couldn't touch her anywhere. Luckily she likes PB or she wouldn't have gotten her drugs! Never met a dog I couldn't pill until that happened. She threw me around like a rag doll :o

I've never used it long term either.

If I'm not mistaken, it reacts badly with some other medications that are commonly used.

My girl was on it the last couple days of her life. Torb made her pain tolerable. I don't know about long term use.

Good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest bigorangedog

We tried it with our Tanner last Feb when he was dying from osteo, because several other things had not worked well for him. This one KNOCKED HIM OUT. I mean, totally unresponsive. DH was home with him while I ran to the grocery store, and was trying to figure out what the heck he was going to tell me when I got home and Tanner was dead. But he was still breathing and heart beating okay -- just totally knocked out. Didn't wear off for a good 8 hours. I doubt I'd use it again after that reaction.

Guest mcsheltie

The side affects really vary a lot from dog to dog!

We were prescribed it 2x daily for Chick & Marley and got good pain relief with no side affects. You could tell about an hour before the next dose that it was wearing off. I guess all I can do is try it and if side affects appear, give it up.