Ezri Had A Dental

Guest artemiss

Guest artemiss

Ezri had her dental today, and while she came through the surgery just fine, the vet said she freaked out really badly, (he said it was probably the worst he'd ever seen) and ended up tearing the skin by her "armpit" with her back nails so badly she needed sutures and sedation. The vet said she woke up better the second time, but what the heck? I haven't seen her yet, but according the DFH (who took the call, I was in class taking a test, freaking out since I had just gotten the first message saying she freaked out and needed sutures) she is going to need pottied on-leash to keep her from reopening her sutures. I can't even go get her yet, because she will have to be lifted into and out of the car. :cry1

Dont' get me at all wrong, I'm really glad that she did wake up and didn't need any extractions, but I am really concerned about the "freak out".

Has anyone else experienced this with their hounds? I assume the severity of the injuries is due to that super-thin hound-skin and the freshly-clipped nails, not staff negligence, right?

Edited by artemiss

Guest NewGreyOwner

Our grey had a dental in October, and he apparently freaked out, too, and had to be sedated..... He managed to not hurt himself with his nails, but I guess he created quite a scene...... We're not looking forward to the next one; but we've started to do a better job brushing his teeth and giving him nylabones and bully sticks to help keep his teeth cleaner, and they have improved quite a bit. Maybe we can go longer between dentals.... : )

Guest Energy11

I have seen greyhounds, and other dogs, "freak out," afer anesthesia, when I worked at the vet in Florida.

To be honest, if at all possible, when coming out of anesthesia, dogs and cats should be checked on. A lot of times, and this happened, at my clinic, too, they are just put back in the cages/runs, after surgery, with no one back there to monitor them. Why? Well, it is not usually due to neglect or negligence, but to getting too busy. I, myself, always tried to keep an eye on the dogs and cats coming out of surgery, but yes, sometimes, it got really busy, and there was no one back there.

There is definitely a fine line here. To be that "ripped up," ... your grey had a VERY bad time coming out the anesthesia, and, yes, I have seen this. I have had to sit in a run and cradle a few dogs in my lap, while they were coming out. I, personally feel, someone should have at least been back there, or whereever they let them wake up, from time to time, monitoring.

I hope Ezri will be okay, and I am soo sorry you and she, had to go through this!

I would ask your vet what meds were used for the first anaesthesia and what the procedure was for her waking up, and if he (or she) feels there is anything that could be changed next time. Hope she heals up quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would ask your vet what meds were used for the first anaesthesia and what the procedure was for her waking up, and if he (or she) feels there is anything that could be changed next time. Hope she heals up quickly.

What BAtmom said. Find out what was used.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest artemiss

Well, we just got home and settled, and yeah, it's pretty bad. :(

It seems like it was just one of those weird things..the vet was incredibly apologetic, and said it was the worst case of post-op delirium he'd seen not only in ten years of practice as a vet, but in the 20 years he'd worked in clinics. I guess there was a tech in the back with her, but when she freaked out, the girl wasn't entirely able to restrain her and got bit pretty soundly on the neck/chin in the scuffle as well. And honestly, I can see how something that dramatic and unexpected with a dog as big and powerful that seems so timid and mild could overwhelm a person in something like that. He said that there is a difference in how dogs wake up from the different drugs used with greyhounds, but that this sort of reaction is unusual. :dunno:

Ezri has a bunch of staples in both her left side and right foot...the vet said it was just the combination of her thin, hound-skin and the sharp, trimmed nails that made it so bad. (they trim nails as a courtesy whenever they do a procedure..)

The damage:

her side:

632.jpg

her foot:

635.jpg

We have pain meds and the like. DFH is taking the day off tomorrow to stay home and watch her, and I guess I'll take off Friday. The staples are still seeping pretty badly, and the poor baby can't get onto her couch even if they weren't...

Oy! And we were worried she'd need soft food for a few days..not that she'd come home with staples. :(

Guest Energy11

YIKES! That is pretty bad!!!

I was never bitten by post-surgical patients, but, that was me. None of mine ever got aggressive. I would have asked my vet for a shot of Valium, immediately, had it been me in there with Ezri.

I, personally, would NOT be happy, but, depending on how you feel about/trust your vet, then, I beileve the tech did all he/she could.

I would have given that dog a shot of Valium, but, I wasn't there, and I am not a vet.

Sorry this had to happen!!!!!! In my "out-spoken" opinion, YOU SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED FOR ANYTHING that happened today!

Dee

Wow, all I can say is I feel so bad for Ezri and you having to experience this! I have had dentals on both of mine and one of my cats recently and they were all calm after the procedure. I would be horrified to pick up my pet in worse condition than when she was dropped off. I guess I am outspoken too and I would be extremely upset w/them for allowing this to happen. Prayers for Ezri that she heals quickly from this.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Energy11

Wow, all I can say is I feel so bad for Ezri and you having to experience this! I have had dentals on both of mine and one of my cats recently and they were all calm after the procedure. I would be horrified to pick up my pet in worse condition than when she was dropped off. I guess I am outspoken too and I would be extremely upset w/them for allowing this to happen. Prayers for Ezri that she heals quickly from this.

Exactly! Again, I did this for four years (vet assistant/tech), and I am a retired paramedic. In MY opinion, and yes, it is just MY opinion, SOMETHING could have been done! I would have asked my vet for a shot of Valium, STAT! OY!

Guest PiagetsMom

Oh my goodness......that's just horrible! eek.gif I've never heard of anything like this, and I'd definitely get as much info as I could about the drugs used and most certainly remember to remind the clinic of this incident if she should ever need treatment again. Wow......just, wow.

Makes me very thankful that my pups both had uneventful dentals. Hoping Ezri heals well! :grouphug

Guest 3greysinPA

I'm so sorry that this happend... sending you and Ezri and your family a hug tonight

.. the staples will ooze...thats ok... you can put a t-shirt on Ezri if you are worried that Ezri might try to scratch or bite at the staples... and that would also soak up some of the ooze.

Poor Ezri.... sending Ezri.. lots of cyber hugs and scritches.

ANd.. i wanted to ask... Did they give her something for Pain?

Guest artemiss

Thanks guys..the poor gal is laying on her pillows on the floor right now, and DFH and I are taking shifts sitting by her and watching over her, making sure she doesn't lick herself or trying to do anything too wild.

Well, I was upset when I first heard about it, but DFH talked me down..but I don't think either of us expected it to be quite this bad. I really don't know quite what to think..I mean, sometimes these things just happen..how many freak accidents have happened at home right under our noses with that super-thin skin? I'm certainly not happy she came home in staples, but I also know how deceptive both their strength and frailty can be.

Dee-

I do think they sedated her as soon as she freaked out, but the way he explained it, one minute she was out, then when she woke up, she freaked out and it happened in seconds.

We paid for the dental, but certainly not the sutures or pain meds. (which we did get along with the standard antibiotics)

Guest artemiss

Please go back and read what Batmom and Macoduck posted. Then read it again. And then do some research on anesthesia choices for greyhounds.

???,

The different anesthesia protocol used for greyhounds was discussed, and the staff was aware of the different effects of the drugs used. He said it was just the most extreme case he'd encountered..most of the time they wake up just fine, and even when they do have issues, they don't tend to take a piece of the vet tech's chin off while tearing their own side open with their rear toenails. He definitely made us aware that any future work she'd have would have a new protocol for her wake-up,(including adequate, safe restraint) and that we'd need to make anyone else who treated her aware of this incident, and her reaction.

Guest greytbookert

Oh my goodness, poor Ezri! I hope she'll recover quickly and without further incident.

Our Eric woke up "freaked out" from one of his dentals and did a number on himself but nothing compared to poor Ezri! Since DH works at the vet clinic, we are now both there any time one of ours goes under and wakes up. DH actually watches the procedure, I don't... too scary for me.

After Eric's incident, we discussed it with the vet and he now uses the wake up meds even more slowly than he did previously. Our vet is very grey savvy, sometimes these things just happen... Hugs to you and Ezri!

Guest Energy11

Please go back and read what Batmom and Macoduck posted. Then read it again. And then do some research on anesthesia choices for greyhounds.

???,

The different anesthesia protocol used for greyhounds was discussed, and the staff was aware of the different effects of the drugs used. He said it was just the most extreme case he'd encountered..most of the time they wake up just fine, and even when they do have issues, they don't tend to take a piece of the vet tech's chin off while tearing their own side open with their rear toenails. He definitely made us aware that any future work she'd have would have a new protocol for her wake-up,(including adequate, safe restraint) and that we'd need to make anyone else who treated her aware of this incident, and her reaction.

Based on what you've written, it DOES sound like they all reacted appropriately. Usually, the sedation protocol for a dental is: Valium and Ketamine to pre-sedate, and Isoflorene Gas during the procedure. The Iso is usually cleared from the lungs quite quickly. It could have been the Ketamine, which caused this very "weird," reaction. Again, I am soo sorry she had to go through this, but, as you said, things like this DO happen.

You are doing all the right things now, though :-)) I hope you guys all have a very peaceful, uneventful evening! Love and hugs! Dee

I suspect your vet did everything that should have been done, but find out what Ezri was given! If she's ever injured and you have to take her to an e-vet when your vet is not available, you must know what drug was involved so trouble can be avoided.

My Sam was fine for his first two (or three?) dentals. But there came a day when the vet called and said, "Sam's okay now, but..." Sam had had an extreme reaction to Ketamine, and the vet was very clear. "If Sam ever is sedated anywhere else, you need to make sure they know not to use Ketamine." On Sam's computerized records at the vet, there's a Ketamine warning on every page (I've peeked over the vet's shoulder). On Sam's two trips to the e-vet, nearly the first words out of my mouth were "He can't have Ketamine." I write it in large letters on every patient info sheet I have to fill out for him. And I got a tag at PetSmart and engraved it with "WARNING: NO KETAMINE"--he wears the tag on his collar with his other I.D.

Sam's had two dentals since the bad one and there have been no problems. The vet is using a different procedure for him, but the vet and I are in cahoots to make sure my old man doesn't have another bad reaction to Ketamine.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

I suspect your vet did everything that should have been done, but find out what Ezri was given! If she's ever injured and you have to take her to an e-vet when your vet is not available, you must know what drug was involved so trouble can be avoided.

My Sam was fine for his first two (or three?) dentals. But there came a day when the vet called and said, "Sam's okay now, but..." Sam had had an extreme reaction to Ketamine, and the vet was very clear. "If Sam ever is sedated anywhere else, you need to make sure they know not to use Ketamine." On Sam's computerized records at the vet, there's a Ketamine warning on every page (I've peeked over the vet's shoulder). On Sam's two trips to the e-vet, nearly the first words out of my mouth were "He can't have Ketamine." I write it in large letters on every patient info sheet I have to fill out for him. And I got a tag at PetSmart and engraved it with "WARNING: NO KETAMINE"--he wears the tag on his collar with his other I.D.

Sam's had two dentals since the bad one and there have been no problems. The vet is using a different procedure for him, but the vet and I are in cahoots to make sure my old man doesn't have another bad reaction to Ketamine.

Wow, good work! The tag stating "no Ketamine," ... the record flagged, etc. I would be willing to get, the Ketamine was what caused this with Ezri, as well. Hope they find out, so it never, ever happens again.

Guest artemiss

Huh, I will definitely mention it to him, and find out what was used, and if he thinks a different regime is in line, and what it is. We do travel quite a bit, and should we ever need to use an e-vet, that would be a good thing to know.

I think we were still pretty shell-shocked when we picked her up, and just wanted to know what happened..and now we're dealing with the logistics of things like getting her up and down the stairs to go outside to potty.

She's having trouble with that and laying down because of where the wound is, and tends to freak out if you try to pick her up and carry her.

That's pretty evil looking, poor BabyDog. You can probably ice it a little a few times a day to keep the bruising and swelling down IF she'll let you. Wrap it in a towel of course so it's not so shocking to shaved, tender skin. And, absolutely, work with your vet to try and figure out which med caused this so she doesn't accidentally get it again.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest happygrey

The poor girl! What a horrible incident, those pictures! :( I hope she's feeling better soon!

I can understand a bit of what you are going through. I had a similar experience. A previous pooch of mine (a mixed breed) returned home from her one and only dental cleaning unable to walk. DH and I had to carry her out to the yard for potty trips for several days afterwards before she could walk again. I was furious with the vet and never really found out what caused her condition but something bad happened to her legs while she was under. Once she was able to walk again she was lame for a while. I never agreed to have her teeth done again and I found a new vet. (And her teeth were pretty bad! Every subsequent vet suggested that they be cleaned.)

I'm super nervous to have my grey's teeth done. We just got him and at his first checkup the vet said his teeth looked really good and that he didn't need one now but I know when he does I will be a basket case.

Guest artemiss

Well, the bruising is worse today, but the swelling's a bit better. We ended up getting a second pain med from the vet, (tramodol) because she's still very uncomfortable. The worst part is that due to location of the injury, she cannot get up or lay down on her own..and even with help, there is the GSOD, because it obviously hurts like all heck.

Does anyone have any advice on getting her upright and back down with her side and chest ripped along the "armpit"? It seems that no matter how we try to support her torso, or her get her legs under her, the stitches end up seeping again from the stress...She freaks out when we try to lift her, or use the blanket to help roll her onto her feet.

You can try piling multiple dog beds on top of each other. You want a bed she can sort of step into, or step off when she wants to get up. Nothing so high she needs to jump, of course, but just something deeper than usual, that doesn't require her to fold herself down to ground level.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)