Frisbee

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

Anyone with a frisbee dog have any teaching tips?

So far she knows to chase the frisbee, pick it up off the ground (not so easy with such a nose!), and bring it back (or run around in circles with it before bringing it back).

She can catch stuffies and rope toys when thrown, but it's easier for her when they're tossed almost straight-up over her head.

I'm trying to figure out the way to communicate, "it's great that you can go get the frisbee, but it would be REALLY awesome if you'd chase it and grab it out of mid-air!"

Even if she doesn't get it, we're both having so much fun in the process! :colgate

my pup loves catching a frisbee. i just threw it and he chased it...that was it. it took a while for him to figure out how to catch it but that was it. my older gal never looked at it, she was 4.5 when she came off the track. it's a matter of personality. but have fun and remember to get really excited and praise your pup for having a tad of interest. try having a couple of frisbees going at the same time to get him really stimulated.

Guest Sunset123

my pup loves catching a frisbee. i just threw it and he chased it...that was it. it took a while for him to figure out how to catch it but that was it. my older gal never looked at it, she was 4.5 when she came off the track. it's a matter of personality. but have fun and remember to get really excited and praise your pup for having a tad of interest. try having a couple of frisbees going at the same time to get him really stimulated.

We'll keep working and hope the "catch this in the air!" bit clicks. :) Having multiple frisbees going at the same time is a great idea.

Guest Sunset123

Good luck. Mine won't chase a thing - tennis balls / frisbees / anything. 115 races each and they barely turn their heads at moving toys!

I was very surprised to find out that Arrisa is a fan of tennis balls and frisbees. I certainly wasn't expecting her to show any interest, but I'm glad she does!

Guest SpicyMom

Mine are not interested in a traditional hard frisbee. But they love something called the "Flying Squirrel" by Chuckit. It's squarish with rubber corners and more rigid sides. I can't post a picture because right now they are all in the yard under 2 ft of snow but here's a link: http://www.caninehardware.com/#/product/floatfly

They toss well and the dogs can easily pick them up and grab them in air. I think it's because they are softer and an easy shape to grab.

Guest Sunset123

Mine are not interested in a traditional hard frisbee. But they love something called the "Flying Squirrel" by Chuckit. It's squarish with rubber corners and more rigid sides. I can't post a picture because right now they are all in the yard under 2 ft of snow but here's a link: http://www.caninehardware.com/#/product/floatfly

They toss well and the dogs can easily pick them up and grab them in air. I think it's because they are softer and an easy shape to grab.

Great idea! Thanks!

My tips is: get a Labrador!

Seriously--I had a Frisbee dog, and I never taught him anything. I just threw it one day and he ran and caught it. It think it's something they'll either do, or not.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Sunset123

My tips is: get a Labrador!

Seriously--I had a Frisbee dog, and I never taught him anything. I just threw it one day and he ran and caught it. It think it's something they'll either do, or not.

:) I know she's not a natural retriever, but she seems to enjoy the throwing and catching games. I'm certainly not going to be heartbroken if she doesn't turn into a super frisbee dog.

Bounty was a natural born retriever...he never had an interest in running in circles with other greyhounds. He needed to chase something. His frisbee skills were amazing. I never really taught it to him...he just knew. I tried to lead it with him and throwing it right above his head got him leaping for it.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest Sunset123

I threw a frisbee for Hot Rod once. He looked at me like "you threw it, you go get it' :lol:lol

I had a pair of aussies that were the same way. Come on, you're working dogs! You're supposed to love playing games like this! :rolleyes:

Guest Whistle

I had a Springer Spaniel who was an awesome frisbee dog. I bought a video on training frisbee from a pet store. It's been about 15 years, so I don't remember the details on how I taught her, but I do remember working with her a couple of weeks to get it down. She absolutely loved frisbee and carried one around at all times for years after that. I'd offer to send you the video, but I have no clue where it is.

We have three hounds but Perri is the only one interested in the Frisbee. (She lives for it, actually.) One day I threw it and she caught it. She even brings it back for more throws. I inadvertently taught her "leave it" with this thing. If she didn't "leave it", I couldn't throw it. :lol She was only four months old at the time, too. She's 2 now. She would also like to eat the thing.

PS Use gloves when playing Frisbee or your hands will get really slimy.:sick

Emmy was our Frisbee dog. I just threw it and she caught it. From that day on she was great! She taught the rest of my pack to catch them too. The only thing was she wanted me to chase her down to get it back so I just went to Petsmart and bought a bunch of their $1.00 Frisbee's and had plenty to throw for her and the other pups.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee