Is Valerian Safe For Greys?

Guest goodtimekid

Guest goodtimekid

I went to an herbalist on Saturday and she recommends Valerian instead of rescue remedy for traveling with my two since one doesn't like to settle down. She said it's completely safe and that humans take it. I would feel tons better if I got that response from you all. BTW it is the smelliest thing I've had the pleasure of smelling. Like dirty sweat socks.

If you are uncomfortable with valerian, why not try ginger capsules? I use them, myself, for traveling with our trailer. I have given ginger to my greys as well. And, yes, valerian does stink and I think of it more as a sleepy time herb.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

I sometimes use Ultra Calm Wafers from Drs Foster and Smith. They are GREAT, but, if you get them, DO NOT give the recommended dosage for weight. My greyts, 70-80 pounds, need only three. Valarian root is one of the ingredients. They are safe and effective, BUT, AGAIN, do not follow the dosage on the bottle. Good luck