Injured Feet/legs After Running In Snow

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

Hey everyone -

As some of you know, DeeDee is my first grey, and this is her first winter (with us or anywhere I believe). We don't have a fenced in yard, so most of her outdoor time has been on lead. Lately, however, a few dog owners and myself have formed a small doggie playgroup. We meet at people's homes (with large fenced in yards) to let our dogs play. Tonight was our second meet up, and DeeDee and the other dogs had a blast.

Here's the problem: Both last time and tonight I've realized her feet are bleeding after she runs. Last time it was two small cuts, and I figured she must have stepped on something and passed it off as no big deal since she didn't seem to be in pain or anything. Tonight she has two new cuts on her lower legs/upper feet (not on the pads of her feet, higher up where the fur/skin/bone is). She is also bleeding some around her large pad on her front feet, sort of in behind and around the pads, but not on the pads themselves. Her pads look completely normal.

I'm wondering if maybe the snow is too hard for her feet when running, or if maybe she's stepping on some sort of ice chips down in the snow. Have any of you experienced this with your greys after letting them run in the snow? If this was just a one time thing I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but since it's happened twice in a row after running in the snow, I'm a little concerned.

DeeDee LOVES going to these play group meetings, and I hate to not take her in the winter, but if it's going to injure her feet I may have no choice. I did try using booties on her, but the snow always seems to pull them off (recommendations for some that won't fall off would be appreciated!).

I'm also wondering if maybe her feet will "toughen up" to the snow once she runs on it a bit more. I hate the fact that she's bleeding, and am working to keep it clean, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever, so maybe I'm overreacting? Anyway, any advice or experiences you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Energy11

Personally, I have been walking mine in the snow, but wouldn't let them run in it. Sometimes, the packed snow gets so hard, it is like GLASS. I'd recommend washing DeeDee's feet with warm water, applying some antibacterial ointment, and some toddler socks, and, I'd keep her out of the packed snow for a while. Again, packed, partially melted, and again, frozen snow, CAN be like glass.

IF you want her to run and flolic in it, I'd recommend booties, specifically The Voyagers Canine Booties.

Good Luck!

Guest ThunderPaws

My greys always get cut feet from running in the yard, especially in snow and ice, but also on very dry ground. They say it's worth the fun, it heals quickly, no problem at all. :)

Our 2 will get nicks and cuts from our backyard runs as well. If there is a layer of ice under the snow when their leg goes through it, abrasion is usually a result and with thin skin and no padding, well, they get the little cuts easily. Also, ours seem to get little bleeds in their cuticles, where the nail enters the toe as a result of snow abrasion from running their 'track'. The nicks and cuts don't seem to bother them and we haven't had anything overly serious.

From a bootie point of view, ours are from Voyageur K9 ang go above the hock/ankle and stay on well enough on the road. Ours have never worn them in the deep snow so I can't comment there.

Depending on the severity of the issues, I'd consider continuing the playdates in good / soft conditions. Any ice and I'd pass, personally. Good luck and have fun!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest LindsaySF

Our 2 will get nicks and cuts from our backyard runs as well. If there is a layer of ice under the snow when their leg goes through it, abrasion is usually a result and with thin skin and no padding, well, they get the little cuts easily. Also, ours seem to get little bleeds in their cuticles, where the nail enters the toe as a result of snow abrasion from running their 'track'. The nicks and cuts don't seem to bother them and we haven't had anything overly serious.

Depending on the severity of the issues, I'd consider continuing the playdates in good / soft conditions. Any ice and I'd pass, personally. Good luck and have fun!

This. :nod

Dune and Kipper both have had this problem on ice & snow. You could try the Musher's Secret; it did really reduce the cuts and discomfort for Kipper. But otherwise, "no running in snow" was our solution.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

When conditions seem crusty/icy or at all prone to injuring my girl's legs, I put on her Voyagers K9 Apparel tall blizzard boots. She's never had any injuries with this and she does run and play in the snow regularly.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks for the input, everyone! I ordered the Voyager K9 greyhound boots, and will probably try to keep DeeDee from running in the snow until they arrive. Thanks again! :D

Guest twhitehouse

Yep. Lexi and Tess have this problem. Lexi never went in the snow, just stayed on the paths we made her until we brought Tess home. Now they like to play and Tess isn't afraid of anything so bounding through the snow they go. :rolleyes:

For now, I try to keep them out of the snow as much as I can, but little cuts do happen. I just make sure I check their feet and legs carefully when they come in and clean and apply antibiotic to any of the cuts I see.

http://k9apparel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_118&products_id=2570

They used to have multiple colors; I'm hoping they're just out of stock in all but black now, as I need some new ones but want more red ones to match Beth's red winter coat!

Remember, no guarantee that your dog will tolerate boots if she hasn't worn them before; fortunately Beth fusses a little bit the first time or two I put them on in the beginning of winter but then doesn't seem to mind them.

"No running in the snow" would mean no running for 3-4 months here, and that ain't gonna happen....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest limbrooke83

Remember, no guarantee that your dog will tolerate boots if she hasn't worn them before; fortunately Beth fusses a little bit the first time or two I put them on in the beginning of winter but then doesn't seem to mind them.

"No running in the snow" would mean no running for 3-4 months here, and that ain't gonna happen....

I bought some other boots for DeeDee before and she tolerated them just fine. The only problem was they were a lot shorter than the Voyager ones and wouldn't stay on in the snow. As much energy as my girl has, she'll probably forget all about the boots once she's ready to run! :lol

I'm with you on the 3-4 months - we've had deep snow on the ground constantly for several months here. As I said, DeeDee seems to have a little more energy than the average 3 year old grey, so twice daily walks just don't cut it. She needs some off leash time. The local dog park (outdoors) works well depending on what dogs are there and how muddy it gets in the warmer months, but some of us wanted a second option with dogs we knew we could trust. So far, aside from the leg issues, it's working wonderfully!

Thanks again for the input, everyone! Always great to have a place where newbies like myself can get good, solid advice. :D

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Personally I dont worry too much about the small cuts and abraisions my hounds get. When my hounds play outside, before they come in I do "blood check". It seems that someone will nick themselfs at least every other week or so. As long as you can stop the bleeding in a minute or so, its not that big of a deal. What you need to be aware of is when their pads are bleeding, that is when I curtail the play and running. It would seem to be pretty painful to have a pad tear off or otherwise get ripped. The cuts on the legs, thats no big deal. The cut or tear on the pad, it depends on how deep and the placement. Just what I do.

Guest limbrooke83

Personally I dont worry too much about the small cuts and abraisions my hounds get. When my hounds play outside, before they come in I do "blood check". It seems that someone will nick themselfs at least every other week or so. As long as you can stop the bleeding in a minute or so, its not that big of a deal. What you need to be aware of is when their pads are bleeding, that is when I curtail the play and running. It would seem to be pretty painful to have a pad tear off or otherwise get ripped. The cuts on the legs, thats no big deal. The cut or tear on the pad, it depends on how deep and the placement. Just what I do.

Out of the cuts/abrasions DeeDee had, two seemed to be "behind" two of her pads (one per pad). It was her front feet, and I couldn't see where exactly the cuts were since the blood was coming from in behind the pads. Her pads themselves look 100% normal - no cuts/abrasions/etc. It would seem some snow packed itself around the pads in behind the edges and caused abrasion there. DeeDee didn't seem to be in any pain (no limping, whining, etc) and didn't even flinch while I was examining her feet, so I'm assuming they weren't bothering her too much.

Here's hoping her boots come quickly! :hope