Midnight Pooping

Roscoe is our new old boy. He's 12 and was returned when his owner had to move into a nursing home. He hadn't been to the vet in over 3 years and is underweight.

We've only had him for just over a week and he has fit in well with Gracie, Niña and Miss Pudge.

He has started to poop in the house at night between midnight and 3am.

Meal times are 6am and 4pm.

His routine really hasn't been set because:

-we have no idea of his meal times or household routine in his old home. Owner was in poor shape herself for quite some time.

-he had been returned once at age 7

-he spent 2 weeks at the adoption kennel. (He didn't have to stay in a crate there due to his age and he got extra loving from the staff.)

-he started out OK 8 days ago but then the snow this weekend limited how much time he wanted to be outside.

-he has an old hock fracture and just isn't up for going for walks yet. He does seem to have gotten some muscle tone back though.

Last potty call is 10pm. He always pees but usually doesn't poop. He does poop after dinner.

He is so quiet at night that I don't hear him moving. I think I only woke up last night because Miss Pudge smelled the poop and ratted him out. I took him right outside and he peed.

All our other dogs have woken us up if they needed to go out at night. Roscoe doesn't do this.

All I can think of to do is put a bell on him at night and hopefully I'll hear it.

I also think he may have some hearing loss. He doesn't respond to Roscoe or Bandit (both previous names) or "cookie". He will react if I clap my hands or whistle loudly.

When he can tolerate the colder weather I'll start walking him. He hasn't been eager so far. But then, we've only had him 8 days. At least his midnight poops are firm. :)

Any suggestions on how to nip this bad habit in the bud?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Maybe babygate him on a side of the bed if possible (basically I would make his sleeping space as small as possible to eliminate the "midnight walks". Maybe also stay outside with him (extra time) at last turnout and see if you can get him to poo then. Sounds like the ol guy found a great home, congrats.

Try staying out with him longer at night. Maybe have a 9:30 p.m. stroll around the back yard a couple times to get things moving. Now you know it's in there, your mission is to get it out on a better schedule :lol . As you already know.

I have two who will do a quick pee and come in if I let them. When it's -15 F, I let them come in and warm up, and then I send them back out to finish the job.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's now bedtime and we have peed and pooped. Since I know he went tonight I'll see if he's able to make it through the night without having to poop again. He was able to do this his first 4 days here. i hope he can again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd try to keep him out til he does both at 10-11pm. I was having the same-ish problem with Miss Gabriella. She was waking me up at 5 am but then it would take her 20-30 minutes of wandering to pee. LOL I think she gets lonley for her human...But I will keep her out longer at bed check til I know she has done it all. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Poor guy has had his world flipped all around. I hope I get to meet him!

Guest mcsheltie

Make sure there are no medical causes. Giardia, worms, coccidia etc... When I have had middle of the night poopers that has always been the problem. Is it solid?

And I second taking him for a long walk before bed. Some dogs poop twice.

And if that fails, try moving his afternoon feeding back and hour or so.

Or... you could tie him to your wrist so you feel him when he gets up. Just don't fall out of bed into the poop :colgate

Crate or x-pen him by your bed.

Okay, that's all I got!

ETA: After re-reading your post I bet it is the cold weather. Breeze has to be forced outside. I've watched her, she walks around the yard and comes back and starts banging on the door. So I would say if all medical causes have been ruled out, walk him at night until he poops.

Edited by mcsheltie

So far no more midnight poops. Pudge had to go out at 1am so I got Roscoe to come with us. During last potty before bed he'll pee and would come back in if I let him. but if I stay out there with him in about 5 minutes he realizes he has to poop. Progress!

tiny hada siggy.png