Shy Guy

Guest fujiapple402

Guest fujiapple402

Hello every one, my first post here so ill give a little backround. About a month ago I adopted my new best friend Brutis a 3 year old male, black with white toes, tail tip, chest and a very good boy. Hes been doing very well so far lazing about on our couch, getting along well with my dads jack russel, sleeping in bed at night. My question is he's still fairly timid to pretty much every one and almost seems lacking a personality, is there anything I can do to help ease his transition and help bring him out of his shell? Hes getting plenty of exercise and very good food, but doesnt play with any kind of toy, and trust me hes getting plenty of love and attention :)

Guest PreciousMom

Nice pic. You need to give the shy guys some time. Some take longer then others. It is great watching shy guys adjust to there new life. Give him some time.

Guest scfilby

Time will help.. Our super shy boy has been home since August, and is still very timid towards people. Even DD is not home enough for CY to be comfortable with her. He will play with stuffies when no one is looking, and gets very excited with DW and I when it is turn out time, dinner, or walk time, but even a new addition to the furniture or a new plant is enough to spook him into retreat.

He does continue to improve, and he gets more and more comfortable each day.

Guest Harry702

Patience. (Seemingly endless) patience.

Harry's been with us almost two years and we're finally really seeing the dog he was meant to be. It's been a slow, gradual, but oh-so-rewarding process. They're worth it.

Tips for bonding:

•  
  • Don't force interaction. Let the pup come to you for attention/affection.
  • Hand feed (If he won't take food from your hand at first.. just drop a few bites of kibble into his dish... let eat... drop a few more bites... and so on.)
  • Obedience training (positive reinforcement only... take it slow and easy)
  • Take long walks in places both familiar and new... point out things that might interest him (a spot with fresh "pee-mail," a dead bird, etc.)
  • Brushing (start by doing this with the pup standing up... gradually move to brushing on his bed)
  • Allow him to sleep where you sleep (in crate, in dog bed, in human bed... I'd recommend against bed privileges until you know him a lot better)

Like everyone has said, time. Your beautiful boy needs to be gently eased along. If there are other greyhound people around you, playdates are wonderful even if he doesn't want to interacr too much. You need to gently push him outside his comfort zone. By that I mean take him places but not ones that completely overwhelm him. Never force him to interact with people but if he is food motivated at all, treats from others when he feels safe can work wonders. Your job is always to give him a sense of both safety and confidence. A month is really nothing yet. But what a joy to behold when these shy guys blossom.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest fujiapple402

Thank you all for your replies! Hes also been having some stool issues on blue buffalo kibble, I started him on some organic plain yogurt to see if that helps, I'm also going to try switching him to the lamb and brown rice formula and see if that works better.

Hes currently nuzzled his face into my lap while I've been typing this :P

Guest 4dogscrazy

Congratulations! And a big welcome to the cult...ehem...group lol! Your new baby is beautiful, and they are a LOT like new babies. Everything is so new to them, it is a wonder how they adjust so well, and he will come out of his shell. I believe the shut down feature you see, is their way of coping to all the changes. Mine grow and change all the time, I have a variety of personalities here. My first one has developed separation anxiety, which is a huge challenge, but we've got all that under control now. She is doing really well on meds, and I have seen a major change in her personality since we put her on them, and I have had her for about 20 months. She has finally relaxed and has really become engaged. I have a spook, that is afraid of thunderstorms, little kids and strange women who look at her when they are talking to her. (??) And my third is a happy go lucky boy, go with the flow, love everyone, love bug! They are all so different, and challenging in their own way. I love all of them for their different personalities, and the shy ones are so sweet. I would suggest taking things slow, and keep up the hugs and kisses! It's good you can even give him loves, some dogs won't even let you touch them in the beginning.

Couple important things, do you use a harness when you walk? Shy dogs will spook easily and take off. You have to use what makes you the most comfortable, but I do know they make a special spook harness. I personally do not ever walk my dogs without a harness, I know they can get out of them, but I feel like I have more control with a harness. Also, do you know how to make the noose with the leash? Always make a noose with the leash, they WILL pull it off your wrist no matter how many times you wrap it. Does he have a hidey place? A crate for him to decompress in? This really helps my spooky girl, and I use it when any little ones come over. She gets into it on her own when the storms roll in. I also do not recommend sleeping with your pup. Many experienced mommys have gotten bit in bed when they rolled onto a foot or a leg in the dark. Of my three, I will only nap with one. And that's a quick nap in the day light. Oddly enough, it's not the happy boy, but my separation anxiety girl! The boy is fairly new, and still learning how the bed works. Like how to get up and not step all over us in the process ha!

Some dogs need to be taught how to play with stuffies! I have no experience with this, but just squeak them and toss them once in a while, if he seems playful? I have heard some dogs that will play with them when you aren't looking, so I wouldn't give up. Do you have a yard? If he will do zoomies in a yard I would throw the stuffie around while he's zooming. Make sure your toys are really soft and fuzzy, mine don't really like hard toys at all except tennis balls in the yard.

That's all I can think of for right now! Sorry this is so long, good luck, the best part is watching them grow into themselves. It's quite addicting!

We have a shy girl, it actually took her three months before she would just come near us and after three years she is finally making great progress. We got another hound about a year and a half after we got Chauncey and this helped bring her out of her shell but we have found that leaving her find her own way has worked best, she is still shy around a lot of people but she is making progress there also. Be patient it will happen and when it does you will see how fast things go. Good Luck and Congats.

If I remember correctly, it took Kingsley, our shy boy, 3-4 months before he would pick up a toy. And about a year before he would come over to greet guest who would come over (he would normally stand in another room and peer around the corner at them)

Just time... often much more than you could have imagined!

But, oh, I would adopt another shy one in a heartbeat.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).