Aaargh!

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

Just when we thought we were on top of all this, Kelly has produced a semi-liquid poop AGAIN. Apart from that and a bit of general fed-upness he seems fine; no vomiting, no obvious pain, is demanding breakfast etc... basically we're back to where we were before - nearly ok but not quite. :(

I'm SO confused and frustrated because he's been firm for over a week now (since just before the vet found he had the roundworm) and we were slowly adding in the Burns kibble to his chicken/rice, and he appeared to be doing well on it. And the difference in him since he had his first dose of wormer last Monday has been amazing - his energy levels have been up up up!

So... could it be more worms that have hatched out (the lab tests showed a LOT of eggs, and is it right that worm tablets only kill the adult worms)? He has been nibbling his back end again...

Can worms cause permanent damage to a dog's gut meaning he's fine on a soft, bland diet, but anything harder (like kibble, although we were adding some water to soften it a bit), causes irritation?

Could it be something else entirely?? He seems to have been fine on the chicken/rice and the kibble is the same stuff (and hypoallergenic), so I don't think it's an intolerance to that...

The plan for today is: no food this morning (you can guess what he thinks about that, he's just stuck his head round the laptop screen and LOOKED at me, and now he's doing the hungry-whine), then back onto plain chicken/rice tonight. As long as he has no more diarrhoea today would it be ok to give him a full-sized portion or would a smaller amount be better?

I think I will ring the vet anyway as he has been on chicken and rice for so long now, and I'm concerned that he's not getting all the nutrients he needs. And of course if he gets any worse or the diarrhoea sticks around then we will take him in, but I would like to spare him the stress of a vet visit for now if I can, so any advice would be very gratefully received as always!

Guest longdoglady

If Kelly has a lot of round worms it will take a few doses to clear them as new worms will be maturing, wormers only kill the adults. I would bathe him to make sure there are no eggs stuck to his fur and wash his bedding, this will reduce reinfection. It may take a while before he is totally back to normal so be patient. I use Protexin Bio-Premium probiotic & prebiotic supplement to help Anna's digestion when needed.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_172&products_id=765. Yoghurt can upset them if they are lactose intolerant.

Make sure you weigh out the quantity of dried food accurately as it so easy to overfeed and that can cause runny poops too. Burns is usually 10g per kilo e.g 30kg = 300g of Burns per day, then you have to take into account the proportion of chicken and rice. Worse than having a baby :)

Hang on in there.

Guest Stripeyfan

If Kelly has a lot of round worms it will take a few doses to clear them as new worms will be maturing, wormers only kill the adults. I would bathe him to make sure there are no eggs stuck to his fur and wash his bedding, this will reduce reinfection. It may take a while before he is totally back to normal so be patient. I use Protexin Bio-Premium probiotic & prebiotic supplement to help Anna's digestion when needed.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_172&products_id=765. Yoghurt can upset them if they are lactose intolerant.

Make sure you weigh out the quantity of dried food accurately as it so easy to overfeed and that can cause runny poops too. Burns is usually 10g per kilo e.g 30kg = 300g of Burns per day, then you have to take into account the proportion of chicken and rice. Worse than having a baby :)

Hang on in there.

I was using the weight to food ratio on the packet and thought I'd got it right... but maybe I have tried to give him too much too soon, not soaked it enough or just got the amounts plain wrong (I feel like the world's worst owner if that is the case :(). Just to be sure we are going back to the vet tonight, I think I will ask for the blood tests just in case though, to make sure there isn't something else going on that we're missing. Don't care what it costs and if they come back clear then that's a bonus, if not at least we may know what's happening! Will also ask the vet to tell me EXACTLY how much to feed him as they've been a bit vague on that front.

Guest longdoglady

Don't stress too much about the amount of food, if he is not losing or gaining weight the amount is fine, the worms and worming tablets are the most likely culprit plus he is still adapting to home life. It does not take much to upset a greyhounds digestive system so you are not alone, a lot of the posts on this forum are to do with the search for the ideal greyhound food and the quest for the perfect greyhound poop :lol Kelly thinks you are worlds best owner. :)

Guest Stripeyfan

Sorry for the fraught reply yesterday Londoglady, was stuck at work all day miles away from my baby and panicking!! :rolleyes: I guess not having ever experienced this before we thought (hoped!) this was something that would resolve quickly, but it looks as if it will take a while, which is fine, we just need to not get too worried if he has ups and downs I guess (easier said than done!!). The vet said the same thing as you - it's the worms and we may have a few more bouts of big D until we get rid of them all, because of them going through their life cycle. At least we know for sure that's what's causing it now. Apparently the eggs they found in his stool sample were at a level they don't often see in adult dogs, usually they're only that bad in puppies who've never been wormed. :eek Anyway he's had a dose of Panacur this morning and will be having his next dose of Dolpac in 3 weeks. I'm going to ask the vet if it would be safe to worm him again a month or so after that too to make sure.

Meanwhile, much to his disgust :lol Kell's back on chicken and rice for a few days. He also has two new fleecy blankies for his beds (as if he didn't have enough layers on them already!!). Yep, it's a hard life he's having!