Aggressive At Dog Park

Guest Al747

Do you have any fully enclosed/gated outdoor tennis courts, or hockey rinks (not in winter) around? Are there any schools in your city where the feilds are fenced? You may have to drive a bit if there is one.

If you can manage to find a time in the day when the dog park has no one in it, there's an option. That may mean going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.

Have any friends or family that have large backyards/securely fenced acreage that you could borrow for a couple times a week?

Several people have mentioned greyhound only play groups... call up your adoption group for info or if you didnt adopt him from a group, call up one or two near you and they should be willing to let you know what the scoop is.

You need to think, there is a way to let him run.

We have a crapload of tennis courts around, but isn't that kind of dangerous? And are the school fields open to the public?

I'll try and get some info on the grey only play groups.

Thank you for your help.

I'd avoid the tennis courts (unless they're covered in snow). The surface is too rough, they run with such power and stop and turn so hard, it's easy for them to tear their pads on a surface like that. We try to find baseball fields around here (during the offseason).

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Here's another slant. Other dog owners could file a complaint with the authorities about your hound and a record could be created whereby your dog is cited as an aggressive dog. Also, some of these owners whose dogs are attacked can be litigious and you could find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

I take my hounds to the park on occasion, but I exercise extreme caution, always checking the "field" of other dogs and other owners. If anything even smells suspicious, I'm out of there.

I agree with many of the foregoing posts that you probably have a hound with a small animal prey instinct, and that is a tough habit to break. Not his fault ... just the way he is. But if you keep going to dog parks, at some point, you and he will pay the price for what just comes naturally to him.

Guest PiagetsMom

Do you have any fully enclosed/gated outdoor tennis courts, or hockey rinks (not in winter) around? Are there any schools in your city where the feilds are fenced? You may have to drive a bit if there is one.

If you can manage to find a time in the day when the dog park has no one in it, there's an option. That may mean going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.

Have any friends or family that have large backyards/securely fenced acreage that you could borrow for a couple times a week?

Several people have mentioned greyhound only play groups... call up your adoption group for info or if you didnt adopt him from a group, call up one or two near you and they should be willing to let you know what the scoop is.

You need to think, there is a way to let him run.

We have a crapload of tennis courts around, but isn't that kind of dangerous? And are the school fields open to the public?

I'll try and get some info on the grey only play groups.

Thank you for your help.

Really good idea. The play groups are organized at areas that have been checked to be secure (the fences have been checked and the gates are secured while you're there) and the hounds are muzzled for safety. If your group or the closest group near you doesn't have one, maybe they can point you in the direction of a group that does. I really think your pups will be thrilled to have the opportunity to run with some other greys!

Where do you live? If you post here (in a new thread) you can probably find other grey owners in your area, or folks who know about things.

I feel really lucky because, while I don't have much of a yard either, I've found two unofficial fenced areas walking distance from my house Beth can run in, in addition to the park when it's safe. Frustrating though because all the local ball fields are created with gaps in the fencing so they're a no-go.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Can you run with your dog?

I also find that Enza doesn't always *need* to run as one would think. She is actually more exhausted from a good long walk than from a sprint around the dog park, especially if it is a new location. On the weekends, I like to throw her in the car and find a new place to walk around for an hour or so and she always sleeps for *hours* afterward.

It's amazing all the parks I've discovered since getting her.

Where do you live? If you post here (in a new thread) you can probably find other grey owners in your area, or folks who know about things.

I feel really lucky because, while I don't have much of a yard either, I've found two unofficial fenced areas walking distance from my house Beth can run in, in addition to the park when it's safe. Frustrating though because all the local ball fields are created with gaps in the fencing so they're a no-go.

Our diamonds have 2 gaps in the outfield corners but we bring babygates and a swath of temporary fence to close them off. Gaps are about 2'. Does the trick.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Can you run with your dog?

I also find that Enza doesn't always *need* to run as one would think. She is actually more exhausted from a good long walk than from a sprint around the dog park, especially if it is a new location. On the weekends, I like to throw her in the car and find a new place to walk around for an hour or so and she always sleeps for *hours* afterward.

It's amazing all the parks I've discovered since getting her.

This is really good advice. The mental stimulation from seeing and experiencing new places and things is REALLY tiring (and really good) for these guys.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Our diamonds have 2 gaps in the outfield corners but we bring babygates and a swath of temporary fence to close them off. Gaps are about 2'. Does the trick.

Very good idea -- I've considered it, but I'm single and handling so much gear for multiple open places with a hound in tow just feels overwhelming to me. One of the local places Beth can run has an entry gate that is chained open and I close off the gap with bungees draped with a blanket or tarp; this place is only a block from my house so it's easy. But I agree, you've got to get creative!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad